Lilo & Stitch 2-Disc Big Wave Edition 3/24/09

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Well his partner has shown up more than once before, accepting his Oscar for Beauty and the Beast and showing up on DVD bonus features. The fact that he is labeled "partner" without having any business kind of relationship means gay to me.
Yeah, that would be obvious, but I didn't know that. :oops:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I don't have a very good "Gay-dar", I guess, but the lack of disc-art is not really a happy thing. I'm enjoying the bonuses, but the Doc. is quite different from what I expected.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Matt wrote:The song "Your 'Ohana" is that on any soundtrack? I couldn't find it. :?
this got lost in all the gay talk lol
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

"Your Ohana" was not on the soundtrack. I found its inclusion odd because while it was written by the guy who wrote two of the songs in the film and was also sung by the kamehameha children's chorus, no explanation is given as to why it is there or what it is for.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

thanks, so ill just rip it from the DVD :D
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I just finished the DVD, and I find the supplements to be less than overwhelming. They're good, but not the best.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Goliath wrote:I would never have guessed Andreas Deja was, until somebody who worked with him told me.
Andreas Deja is gay? :jawdrop: I'd never would have guessed.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

goofystitch wrote:"Your Ohana" was not on the soundtrack. I found its inclusion odd because while it was written by the guy who wrote two of the songs in the film and was also sung by the Kamehameha Children's Chorus, no explanation is given as to why it is there or what it is for.
Same here. I'm pretty sure it was made for the film (or at least at the same time the others were made), and I like that it was included, just to add a sense of "completion" in the set, but I would've really liked at least some sort of description, if not an explanation.

I just watched the movie (I haven't done so in a while), and it's much different than I remember; much more heart warming. I'm about... halfway through the documentary. It's a little lengthy (especially in the beginning...) but once it gets interesting, it doesn't stop. I love how full it is, and it's very interesting for me to listen to the writers talk about concepts just after they came up with it, but that were ultimately dropped- it really gives the fans a clearer idea of the work that goes into making this movie, or pretty much any movie for that matter.

I "accidentally" peaked onto UD before I popped in the second disc, and noticed that you guys were all over Chris Sanders' sexual orientation. For what it's worth, I did notice some "gay" tendancies he's shown (the "gay lisp": most noticeable when he said "falt" rather than "felt", spread out hands and other hand gestures, etc.) but really- does it even matter? Yes, it is exciting to know if someone who is gay is that important, and THAT creative, but would it change the movie? The way I see it, the only thing that matters is the talent, and he clearly has it. Seriously. Leave him alone.

I'm a little disappointed in the "Stitch in Time" thing, I thought that it would just be something fun, like a gallery of stills in which Stitch replaced a character or was added in, but it ended up being this whole "Stitch was here the whole time!" which I saw as a huge slap in the face to the fans of "Classic Disney" or whatever- sorta like saying "Stitch is better because he was in all of these movies"... idk. I'm glad the teaser trailers were brought in (and twice, for that matter)- I remember watching them on a dial-up connection on the original website... lol

I'm also a little disappointed at the lack of disc art (as I see everyone else is, too), and the cover art is nowhere near my favorite... but those are "decoration", so to speak- the special features and the film itself are much more important, IMO- and it's all very good, as far as I'm concerned. As a whole, I'm very glad I held out for a few extra years to get this set. It was definitely worth it.
Check out some of my other work @ my Deviant Art profile
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

sotiris2006 wrote:
Goliath wrote:I would never have guessed Andreas Deja was, until somebody who worked with him told me.
Really? I knew almost instantly (but I'm not gay). I don't have it right all the time. I have a colleague I could swear was gay. Turns out he was married and had two children.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

sotiris2006 wrote:
That's funny!! xxhplinkxx and I were discussing him the other day and I said I couldn't tell if he was gay or just european. I guess now I know.
BambiFan87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BambiFan87 »

lol yea I was pretty sure aja was gay but couldnt totally tell. and I didnt think it was a big deal at all the chris was gay. I was just pointing it out and asking if anyone knew! its no big deal at all!!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I feel so happy Andreas is gay! I don't even know why! :)

If I ever meet him I think I'd be so ecstatic I'd probably scare him.

Oh, and he's German, by the way. He is European (you see, Europe rocks!)
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

For the life of me on a Disney message board I cannot figure out why so many people are so concerned about the gaiety or non of everyone else's lifestyle. Next to things Disney it's by far the most popular subject of conversation in so many threads. Who cares???
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

buffalobill wrote:people are so concerned about the gaiety or non of everyone else's lifestyle.
It's not a 'lifestyle', it's a sexual orientation. By referring it as a 'lifestyle' not only you make it sound like it's a choice (which clearly is not) but you imply that homosexual people lead a different kind of life than heterosexuals (which is not the case of course) perpetuating the stereotypical perception of gays. The only difference in the lives of gay people is that they have to live in fear, prejudice and discrimination (not to mention inequality concerning civil and legal rights).
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

buffalobill wrote:For the life of me on a Disney message board I cannot figure out why so many people are so concerned about the gaiety or non of everyone else's lifestyle. Next to things Disney it's by far the most popular subject of conversation in so many threads. Who cares???
I agree I thought there would be more of a discussion about Lilo & Stitch, the picture quality of the DVD, the extra bonus materials, how it stands up against other releases ect. Who honestly cares if someone is gay or not?
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

CampbellzSoup wrote:
buffalobill wrote:For the life of me on a Disney message board I cannot figure out why so many people are so concerned about the gaiety or non of everyone else's lifestyle. Next to things Disney it's by far the most popular subject of conversation in so many threads. Who cares???
I agree I thought there would be more of a discussion about Lilo & Stitch, the picture quality of the DVD, the extra bonus materials, how it stands up against other releases ect. Who honestly cares if someone is gay or not?
The topic of being gay is fine and all, but perhaps it should be moved to a respective thread, and this thread can go back to the topic at hand, "Lilo and Stitch". I'm hoping to watch my DVD tomorrow, since I have not yet had the time.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

A friend of mine bought the new edition last night and we watched the documentary. To be honest, I've almost never been more confused while watching a documentary in my life. I mean, parts of it made sense but there was a lot that i had trouble even understand what they were talking about. I blame it on editing all in all. Overall though I did learn a lot i guess about what goes into the production of the classics, and i LOVED the footage taken from real meetings they had about story development. I was so interested by how laid back a lot of it seemed to be, lol.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

sotiris2006 wrote:
buffalobill wrote:people are so concerned about the gaiety or non of everyone else's lifestyle.
It's not a 'lifestyle', it's a sexual orientation. By referring it as a 'lifestyle' not only you make it sound like it's a choice (which clearly is not) but you imply that homosexual people lead a different kind of life than heterosexuals (which is not the case of course) perpetuating the stereotypical perception of gays. The only difference in the lives of gay people is that they have to live in fear, prejudice and discrimination (not to mention inequality concerning civil and legal rights).
Nothing was meant by the word lifestyle. Just a poor choice of words. I realize it is orientation & is not choice but I still couldn't give a flying fig about reading about it in every damned thread.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

buffalobill wrote:Nothing was meant by the word lifestyle. Just a poor choice of words. I realize it is orientation & is not choice but I still couldn't give a flying fig about reading about it in every damned thread.
Yeah, i realized that you didn't mean anything by it. I just wanted to say this since this word is constantly misused when referring to the gay community. I hope you didn't take it personally.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I object to calling 'being gay' a "lifestyle". This implies choice, and there is no choice in being gay. It is something you *are*.

Actually, it's Dean DeBlois who is gay. I was searching for articles on Lilo & Stitch for a paper I'm writing (I'm a film and television student) and I stumbled across a short article in 'Advocate', the gay magazine, from 2002. DeBlois also mentioned people always thought Sanders was gay, instead of him.
Disney dude.

By: Steele, Bruce C., Advocate, 7/9/2002, Issue 867

You've heard the rumor: Everyone in Disney's feature animation department is really gay, right? “It's kind of hard for me to tell in California,” says Dean DeBlois, the openly gay half of the two-director team for Disney's latest animated feature, Lilo & Stitch. “I'm from a pretty small town in Canada, so when I moved here I just thought a lot of the people in the entertainment industry were kind of expressive and flamboyant.”

Like Lilo's chosen family, the Disney family is quite eclectic, allowing such diverse duos as Sanders and DeBlois to coparent their own animation feature some 2,500 miles from Hollywood, at Disney's Orlando, Fla., animation studio. And was there any straight guy-gay guy rivalry in their collaboration? DeBlois laughs. “Not really. I don't think I appear outwardly gay, because when we moved to Florida [from Los Angeles], they knew that one of us was gay, but they assumed it was Chris. He was all worked-out and fashionably dressed, and I hobbled in there looking like a redneck.”