Twilight Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Twilight Discussion

Post by PeterPanfan »

As I'm sure many of you know, Twilight the movie premeires November 21, 2008. Whether you know because you're angry it took Harry Potter's spot, or if you're actually a fan of the book series, I encourage everyone to see it!

I'm very excited for it, although I certaintly wish Harry Potter could have it's original release date set back.

Does anyone have any plans to see it, or are even slightly interested in seeing it?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

...it's such a badly-written book. Like "Eragon" for the teen vampire fanatic set. I can't imagine the movie will be any better, but I'm sure it will be hilarious. But there's no way I'm going to see it in theaters.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Yeah, I know Twilight is trashy and poorly written. I just find it really addictive, and whatever gets kids reading should be okay in anyone's book. Whatever the case, though, I'm still excited and nothing will change that.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

SpringHeelJack wrote:...it's such a badly-written book. Like "Eragon" for the teen vampire fanatic set. I can't imagine the movie will be any better, but I'm sure it will be hilarious. But there's no way I'm going to see it in theaters.
Ditto.

Can't wait for the Rifftrax to come out!
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

I dislike the first book. But I'll support the movie because I want to see a filmed version of the second book "New Moon".

Jacob Black > Edward Cullen. Bella = Stupid.

One big issue I have with the movies is that in the books that Cullens and Hales are all described as "Indescribably Beautiful" but all the actors playing them are as plain as plain can be.
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

I like the twilight books, not love, but like. I wouldn't go as far as say they're poorly written, but sometimes stephenie meyer stretches a subject way too long. I'm not usually into romance novels but this one was pretty interesting. I actually really wanna watch the movie, i doubt it will be a perfect movie, I don't think Twilight is movie material; but it really is worth checking out.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Technically, it didn't "take Harry's spot", so being angry at Twilight is stupid for any HP fan out there. Warner Brothers decided to get greedy and move HP to the summer. They know NO ONE is going to boycott HP no matter how angry they are over the move. The only thing Twilight did was take advantage of the clear spot for them to push the date up. And I don't blame them.

If I had the choice still, I'd go see HP before Twilight. But I enjoyed the Twilight book very much and plan to see it all the same. :)
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

I really don't see why all these people like Jacob Black so much more than Edward Cullen, Bella may be stupid but Edward is cooler :D. Besides you don't pick who you fall in love with.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

rs_milo_whatever wrote:I really don't see why all these people like Jacob Black so much more than Edward Cullen, Bella may be stupid but Edward is cooler :D. Besides you don't pick who you fall in love with.
I just dislike Edward as a person. I dunno why I just don't like him.
Ting Ting
Anniversary Edition

Post by Ting Ting »

Edward Cullen is much too sexy for an awful series like <i>Twilight</i>. All it is is poorly written vampire smut! I'm sorry, but it's true. But like PeterPanfan said, whatever gets kids reading...

Anywho, I'll probably see the movie just out of sheer curiosity, but I'll go into the theater knowing it'll be terrible.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Camster wrote:Edward Cullen is much too sexy for an awful series like Twilight. All it is is poorly written vampire smut! I'm sorry, but it's true.
rotfl

I've read the first book and stopped halfway through the second out of frustration. The whole series seems like a really long fanfiction, even if it isn't even fanfiction. But it all comes off as just some person rambling on a vampire fantasy they have and shoehorning some conflict in it to justify its purpose as a novel.

I liked the first book, probably for all the wrong reasons. But I don't think I'll read the rest of the series.

As for the movie, it looks entertaining enough and I look forward to seeing it. Who knows, maybe it could improve upon the book's shortcomings.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Well, I'm going to the midnight premeire tonight! I'll get there between 10:30 and 11:00, so I can sit with my friends and get a good seat. I can't wait! I'll post a review when I get back.

Oh, and so you know I'm not an obsessed tween Twilight fanatic, here are some complaints with it:

Breaking Dawn sucked. All of the chracters were out of character, and it was just bad.
I dislike Edward Cullen.
Robert Pattinson and Stephenie Meyer scare me. :D
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

I can't wait to read your review. Twilight won't come out here until January, so I'll take anything I can get on how good/bad it is.
I have read the first two books so far and liked the first one a lot, the second not so much. I like Edward though, and Robert Pattinson. However, I just don't understand all the fuss about his hair.
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

I don't know about the rest of you but I personally cannot wait until the backlash. It is just too much too soon and way...WAY...overhyped. I mean really... I saw a commercial today that said the film was a pop culture phenomenon, before it even came out, RIDICULOUS!!!
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I am going to see it probably Wednesday. I almost was going to see it Saturday and realized, all the kids will be off school, so the theater will be packed with a bunch of teenage girls who I will want to kill the moment Edward comes on screen and they verbally start swooning. I'll kill them all.

I'm going Wednesday. It should be less packed. Less to no teenage girls acting like complete morons.

I've never understood why girls go stupid when it comes to some star. Granted when I meet a celebrity I really love at the conventions and what not, I am nervous and all, but not clawing at them either. Then again, I was raised around some celebrities as a kid, and maybe that's why I don't go stupid.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Siren wrote:I am going to see it probably Wednesday. I almost was going to see it Saturday and realized, all the kids will be off school, so the theater will be packed with a bunch of teenage girls who I will want to kill the moment Edward comes on screen and they verbally start swooning. I'll kill them all.

I'm going Wednesday. It should be less packed. Less to no teenage girls acting like complete morons.

I've never understood why girls go stupid when it comes to some star. Granted when I meet a celebrity I really love at the conventions and what not, I am nervous and all, but not clawing at them either. Then again, I was raised around some celebrities as a kid, and maybe that's why I don't go stupid.
This is exactly the reason me and my friends went to the late showings of both "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. In fact, when me and my friend were waiting in life for "World's End" a bunch of girls came out of the movie shouting "OMG THIS IS, LIKE, THE BEST MOVIE EVER!". While there were still some teen girls the overall audience was composed of adult who probably wanted to avoid the same problem as we. Good thing, too, because I did NOT wanted to see the audience's reaction to multiple shirtless Jacks :P.

As for "Twilight", I know nothing of it, except it seems like a pretty boy vampire hero movie. In fact, I didn't know there was some sort of hype behind it, especially since it looked so pedestrian.
ImageImageImageImage

Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I am sure the movie will be good. I don't think it deserves all the hype. Most of the hype is because of the teen girls. I have no doubt, it will be a blockbuster. Its gonna make a lot of money. Mostly from the same teen girls seeing it over and over again. That's a big part of why Titanic was so successful in the theaters...same girls seeing it every weekend to see Leo. They'll do it to see Robert in this one. Not saying it will certainly get up to the Titanic numbers, but expect girls to keep on seeing it over and over again.
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Well, at least it won't be the same annoying teenage girl crowd.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Okay, I'll review how the actors were: Spoilers ahead!

Kristen Stewart - (Bella Swan) I thought she did a good job for the most part. She pronounced "irrevocably" wrong, which sorta ruined that line, especially since it's such an important one. She also lacked emotion in some of the scenes.

Robert Pattinson - (Edward Cullen) Ugh. I honestly dislike him, and Edward. He spoke in an English accent, as well as an American one, so it was like "wtf?"

Taylor Lautner - (Jacob Black) I loved Jacob! He was so sweet and I wish he was in it more, even though he was hardly in the first book. I can't wait to see his character evolve through the series!

Cam Gigandet - (James) He played the part well, but I honestly didn't think he was that frightening.

Rachel Laferve - (Victoria) I LOVED Victoria! I think Rachel is so pretty, and the ending was unexpected, as it wasn't in the book. It shows her staring out the window at Bella and Edward dancing with this furious and creepy look on her face. She then unties her hair which was in a bun, and walked down the steps, and then the movie ended.

Peter Facinelli (Carlisle Cullen) - He did a nice job! He wasn't in it that much, like the other Cullens (sans Edward), but for what he was in, I really liked him!

Elizabeth Reaser (Esme Cullen) - She was pretty! She, again, only had a few lines, but was good!

Nikki Reed (Rosalie Cullen) - I prefer her with her brown hair over blond, but she was funny! She was probably the Cullen in it the most with Edward.

Kellan Lutz - (Emmett Cullen) - Very funny! Definitly played the part how I imagined it while reading the book.

Ashley Greene (Alice Cullen) - My favorite Cullen! I loved her, and really wished she was in more scenes. It was definitley creepy when she killed James.

Jackson Rathbone (Jasper Cullen) - He only had two lines, so I can't really comment on him much.

Billy Burke (Charlie Swan) - Bella's dad was hilarious! I definitley liked him a lot!

Edi Gathegi (Laurent) - Again, wasn't in it as much as James or Victoria, but was okay, I guess.

Sarah Clarke (Renee Dwyer) - Bella's mom was very sweet, but she annoyed me for some reason. Lol.

Anna Kendrick (Jessica Stanley) - I seriously thought she was hilarious!

Christian Serratos (Angela Webber) - She was good. I can't wait to see her in Eclipse when her and Bella actually get to know each other more!

Michael Welch (Mike Newton) - Okay, I guess. A little annoying, though.

Justin Chon (Eric Yorkie) - Ugh. He annoyed me SO much. I don't remember him being Asian in the book, by the way.

Overall, I was generally happy with the film, but I felt it was a bit rushed and could have been better. I'm still excited to see it again tonight, though! :)

8/10
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Siren, the schools in the Central Florida area have Wednesday and, depending on where you are, Tuesday off from school. You might want to see the movie either on Monday/Tuesday or wait until after Thanksgiving. The crowds are going to get annoying - trust me. :roll:

Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Cheers,
JM :thumb: