SO DEAR TO MY HEART DVD

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
drsd2kill
Gold Classic Collection

SO DEAR TO MY HEART DVD

Post by drsd2kill »

Hey everyone,

I just got the SO DEAR TO MY HEART R2 PAL DVD and it is great! I put off getting it because I was waiting for the US release, but the R2 DVD has a beautiful image and 5.1 DD sound - and 25 minutes of outtakes! I made an NTSC version on DVD by demuxing the DVD, decoding the MPEG stream, and then re-encoding into NTSC - far better results that using a crappy stand-alone DVD Recorder :-)

ANYWAY - I wonder if the US release never happened because maybe SO DEAR and SONG OF THE SOUTH will be released together in a Treasures set or something. They would make for a natural double feature, and they could bump up the price for including an extra film on another DVD - one that isn't as widely known as SOTS.

Any thoughts?

[email protected]
RowMan

Post by RowMan »

Although it's still not likely Song of the South will see any DVD release at all, So Dear To My Heart was finally released as an NTSC Region 1 disc for North America, but only through the Disney Movie Club. Unfortunately, it does not contain the bonus feature that includes 25 minutes of unused footage from the film with commentary by Disney's head of restoration and a film historian found on the PAL Region 2 release..

If that kind of feature is important to you and you prefer NTSC over PAL or just don't want to join the Disney Movie Club to get this movie, there is an alternative.

The South American DVD is NTSC and fully compatible with Region 1 DVD players in North America. It can be found at Amazon.com under the title "Meu Querido Carneirinho". Only the cover and disc artwork are in Portuguese, but when you play the disc, the first thing that you'll see is a selection of languages. Just choose "English" and from there you'll be able to enjoy the movie and wonderful special features exactly as if it was a US release.

Here'a what it looks like...
...and the Amazon link...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... eimprovemz

The rest of the special features are like its Region 1 counterpart and include Walt Disney's TV introduction of the film, a photo gallery, and facts about the movie.
Eeeevah!

Post by Eeeevah! »

Is it common for R1 and R2 to have different features-and if they do then is one generally better for the extras than the other? I've only ever tended to buy kids stuff on R2, so I've never had the chance to compare.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Yes, that's very common.

I can convert them to NTSC if someone sends me a copy... so we can make "the ultimate NTSC edition" :D

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!