The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Ariel'sprince wrote:I don't know who looks werider-Triton or Ursula :o.
Yeah, Ursula would never look like that. It looks like someone just drew Ursula's face on Vanessa's body.
But it shows that Ursula had the power to do this all along, and yet she preferred to stay herself. She even considered herself starving while she looked very well-fed.
Well, Ursula has a very big ego (and I wouldn't have it any other way). Another idea comes to mind: didn't, in olden days, people believe the larger you were the more attractive you were (because 1. it symbolized how wealthy you were and 2. for women it meant you'd most likely survive childbirth)? She was part of the royal court, so maybe she believed she was meant to be larger than life because she was more worthy than anyone else?

Yeah, I doubt the animators were thinking that. They just probably thought, "Hey, we hadn't had a fat villainess yet!" Still, I like to see things regardless of how they were originally intended.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Yeah,Triton also looks werid :o.
About overwight villains-wasn't Pete overwight,too?
Aladdin from Agrabah
Special Edition

Post by Aladdin from Agrabah »

Ariel'sprince wrote:Yeah,Triton also looks werid :o.
About overwight villains-wasn't Pete overwight,too?
Queen of Hearts and Strombolli were overweight too.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Wow! Were did you get that picture ariels'prince? Ursula looks like a cross of Cruella Deville and Vanessa, and Triton just doesn't look himself.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

I don't think Ursula would have gotten away with tricking Triton about being in trouble on land. Triton already had those thoughts in his head that land = trouble. So he would have gone there himself if Ursula had let it slip, but he's shown that with the Trident he's capable of using it's power to give someone legs. I think if anything Ursula needed Ariel as a barganing chip, without Ariel her plans were shot.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Wow! Were did you get that picture ariels'prince? Ursula looks like a cross of Cruella Deville and Vanessa, and Triton just doesn't look himself.
Yeah :D ,someone on Little Ariel scaned it,it's from a book called Once Upon A Princess with Esmeralda,Ariel and Jasmine.
amazon980
Gold Classic Collection

Post by amazon980 »

i found this on youtube and its an Disney Music video i think the song fits ariel very good http://youtube.com/watch?v=GLS8OXPq-g8

its an ariel vid
SleepingBeautyAurora
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora »

I'm wondering about The Little Mermaid Limited Issue DVD, Did it come in a white case (or was it black) ? Was the disc art rough/grainy (similar to the Gold Collection discs) ?

Can anyone help me with this ???
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Limited Issue DVD came in a white case I believe.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Poody wrote:Limited Issue DVD came in a white case I believe.
judge juddy knows best :lol:
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

SleepingBeautyAurora wrote:I'm wondering about The Little Mermaid Limited Issue DVD, Did it come in a white case (or was it black) ? Was the disc art rough/grainy (similar to the Gold Collection discs) ?

You know that the qualty is like video and there's no features at all?.
(By the way-You left the Sleeping Beauty forum?).
SleepingBeautyAurora
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora »

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

I think my copy is legit. I was wondering if the only positive things about the Limited Issue DVD are that it is in it's original aspect ratio and that it is not edited ?
Disney Duster

The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

PeterPanFan, remember how you said Ursula wanted to be beautiful? Well, I know I heard Disney people say Ursula liked herself as she was and thought she was beautiful, but here Pat Carrol talkes about hating Ariel because she's beautiful and sweet, and it's the best part in:

The Making Of The Little Mermaid that aired on Disney Channel! I actually knew about it because of Ariel'sprince, so he gets credit!

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUWli76KRc
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFUay6oCOo
Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMBJa-AF1KQ
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

SleepingBeautyAurora wrote:I'm wondering about The Little Mermaid Limited Issue DVD, Did it come in a white case (or was it black) ? Was the disc art rough/grainy (similar to the Gold Collection discs) ?

One of my Fraternity brothers has the Limited Edition. It comes in a white case and has the rough/grainy disc art. All-in-all, it's worse off than the gold collection because it literally has no special features at all.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Disney Duster wrote:The Making Of The Little Mermaid that aired on Disney Channel! I actually knew about it because of Ariel'sprince, so he gets credit!
You're wellcome :D but how did you knew it?.
fairy_bean

Post by fairy_bean »

the little mermaid was stung by critism when it first came out though, due to the sexism and representation shown with ariel. Kathi Maio describe it as "a new nymphet quality to the virginal heroine" which is due to her costume, and descibed it as "deing informed by the eroticizing of the pubescent female"
(info frm http://www.newint.org/issue308/dolls.html)

i do like ariel tho, and find it a brilient film to watch :) i think that although adults may have found it insulting, when children watch it they dont yet have the knowlege to look into al the subverted meanings and representation and just think its a nice story :)
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

singerguy04 wrote:

One of my Fraternity brothers has the Limited Edition. It comes in a white case and has the rough/grainy disc art. All-in-all, it's worse off than the gold collection because it literally has no special features at all.
And the transfer is covered in "noise" - I won't even call it grain because its so bad.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Duster wrote: The Making Of The Little Mermaid that aired on Disney Channel! I actually knew about it because of Ariel'sprince, so he gets credit!

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUWli76KRc
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFUay6oCOo
Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMBJa-AF1KQ
Thank you sooo much for posting this! I have this on tape at my parents' house (unless I do have it here...), and I've always loved this!!!! YAY!!!! Thank you! You get many pink elephants for posting!!!!

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

And ariel'sprince gets some. too!!!

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Now that I finally have all 3 TLM films at home, I'm probably gonna have a TLM marathon. My only problem is, which order should I watch them in? :?

Option 1:
1. The Little Mermaid
2. The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea
3. The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

Option 2:
1. The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning
2. The Little Mermaid
3. The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea

or Option 3:
1. The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning
2. The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea
3. The Little Mermaid (save the best for last :p)

I'm thinking I might go with option 2. But oh, how I wish the series was also on DVD so I could slip those in between Ariel's Beginning and TLM. :(

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Atlantis
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Atlantis »

What about option 4?

1. The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea
2. The Little Mermaid
3. The Little Mermaid: Ariels Beginning

But in all seriousness, I would go with option 3 since you see everything from the very beginning and you get a better sense of how Ariel changes and what she goes through a lot easier.