Up (2009 Pixar film) discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Up (2009 Pixar film) discussion

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I searched, but couldn't find a discussion for this film.

http://www.animated-news.com:

Rumored Rumblings: Pixar’s Up chasing windmills?
As with everything in Rumored Rumblings, take the following with a grain of salt. Several different web sites around the net are buzzing that Pixar’s slightly mysterious 2009 release, Up, may be a re-telling of Miguel de Cervantes’ classic 17th century story Don Quixote. Variety wrote in the summer of 2007 that Up was “about a 70-year-old man who teams with a wilderness ranger to fight beasts and villains. Monsters, Inc. director Pete Docter is helming. Pixar vet Bob Peterson is writing the script and will co-direct.” While there is a possibility that that tease could be construed as a modern day version of Don Quixote, there just is no telling at this point if the rumormongers are just dreaming an impossible dream.

That's only a rumor for now, but I find it interesting that, if true, Pixar would be the ones to make a "Don Quixote" film, since Disney tried for years. I'd rather have Pixar make a "Don Quixote" film, though, than, let's say DreamWorks or Sony or Fox...
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

I'd rather Up be an original story than based on Don Quiote...but that's just me.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I'm looking forward to up, but probably not the same reason most others are.

I'm sure it'll be good and all, but once Up comes out, Toy Story 3 will be next in line. and I'm pretty confident we'll get a teaser for it tagged in front of it.

I still cant get over the fact that wall-e still hasn't come out and we already know about pixar's following 3 movies.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Re: Up (2009 Pixar film) discussion

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Sounds... werid,i guess it's not the film with the Scotish "Princess".
Didn't Disney wanted to make a film like this?.
Anyway it's sound werid but nice.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Here's some concept art of "Up".
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2746/60zp3.jpg
blackcauldron85

I let out a girlish squeal. I love concept art! UmbrellaFish, where did you find that?!? I wish we could see the man's face; his hair reminds me of a troll's... :lol: Thanks so much for posting, UF!
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

How exciting! I am anxious to hear more about this film.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

If it's got airplanes, especially biplanes, I'm hooked. :D

I'm definitely looking forward to Toy Story 3 and, if they go ahead with it, Cars 2. I could see them releasing Cars 2 around the time they finish building Carsland in California Adventure. That would be around 2011 or 2012.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

UncleEd wrote:I'd rather Up be an original story than based on Don Quiote...but that's just me.
I don't think Pixar has said this is an official "Don Quixote" adaptation, I think this is an "original" idea with inspirations and homages to Don Quixote. After all, The Incredibles was nothing more but an adaptation of "The Fantastic Four", yet it's always labeled as "original".

Maybe "Up" has so many similarities with Don Quixote they want to say it's an adaptation just to make sure no lawsuits come?
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

I don't get it :? why is this 2-D?.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Ariel'sprince wrote:I don't get it :? why is this 2-D?.
No, but that would be cool. Every animated movie starts out with drawings called concept art. It doesn't necessarily pertain to the same media it will be in. For example, Pixar has done this for all their films. Take a look at their "The Art of _______" books.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

magicalwands wrote:
Ariel'sprince wrote:I don't get it :? why is this 2-D?.
No, but that would be cool. Every animated movie starts out with drawings called concept art. It doesn't necessarily pertain to the same media it will be in. For example, Pixar has done this for all their films. Take a look at their "The Art of _______" books.
Oh, :lol:,i know what a concept art it is,it's just that this picture looks like a finished 2-D sence,i didn't thought it's a concept art.
Sloppy Moe

Post by Sloppy Moe »

It looks like it will be taking place in the early 20th century judging by the concept art. Spiffy!
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Bah, the concept doesn't really appeal to me. And unless Pixar completely changes the way they animated humans I may pass this one up. I just can't stand CGI people (with the exception of the MTR characters. For some reason I really liked them).
blackcauldron85

http://www.animated-news.com/2008/up-re ... d-forward/

"Up release date pushed forward"
UpcomingPixar via BoxOfficeMojo and ComingSoon.net reports that the release date for Disney/Pixar’s Up appears to have been pushed forward by 14 days. Up was originally scheduled for a June 12, 2009 release but is now set to hit theatres on May 29, 2009.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Hmm...
Just two days after my birthday.
Maybe "Up" will be my annual birthday movie for 2009.

Cool!
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I hate to admit it, but I don't really like that concept art.

Hopefully my opinion will change soon.
Daisy Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Daisy Duck »

I like the concept art. I'm still excited for this film.
blackcauldron85

http://www.animated-news.com/2008/chara ... -revealed/

That link has a picture (hand-drawn, could be concept art?) of a character from Up!!! And it mentions in what other Pixar movie you can find this character.

How exciting!

*edit* Somehow we missed this back in April:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36333

********SPOILER ALERT- PLOT DETAILS********

UP

I hadn’t known much about this one before the presentation.

UP comes out May 29th, 2009 and will be Pixar’s first 3-D movie. Lasseter said that all Pixar and Disney Animated movies from BOLT onwards will be made to release in Disney digital 3-D. Lasseter loves 3-D. He says even all of his wedding pictures were taken in 3-D he loves it so much.

UP is directed by Pete Doctor (MONSTERS, INC) and Bob Peterson and follows the most likely adventurer… Carl… a 78 year old man. He’ll be voiced by Ed Asner and is a grumpy ol’ bastard who walks on a cane that ends in four little legs, each one has a tennis ball on the end, like you’ll see at nursing homes.

Pete Doctor called it a “coming of old age story.”

The movie opens with Carl as a young kid in the ‘30s. They showed us this opening with storyboard reels. Carl is a chubby kid, arm in a cast and he makes friends with an adorable ball of energy named Ellie.

She wants to follow her hero explorer out in the wilds on adventures. She wants to show Carl something, but makes him cross his heart and swear he won’t tell anyone. He does and she shows him her adventure book. A scrapbook with clippings from her explorer hero, a guy named Muntz.

She says when she gets big she’s going to go where he went. She’s going to South America (“It’s like America, but south,” she says matter of factly). She has drawings of waterfalls and says she’s going to live there some day. It’s a place called Paradise Falls.

The rest of the pages are blank and she says she’s saving them for all the adventures she’s going to have… the only problem is she doesn’t know how she’s going to get there. Carl has a balloon in the room and she says, “That’s it! You can take us in a blimp! Swear you’ll take us!” She makes him cross his heart. “Good, you promised. No backing out!”

Carl is wide-eyed, clearly in love with this girl, in love with her spirit and enthusiasm. He barely speaks.

We get a montage now. No dialogue, just music. Ellie and Carl get married. They’re happy together. Carl sells balloons as they build their house. The years go by. They’re still young and playful. In love. They have picnics, look at clouds and see different shapes. Eventually Carl points out one in the shape of a baby. From here on out she sees nothing but babies in the clouds and smiles.

Carl awkwardly smiles as well.

Then we see them sitting in the doctor’s office. It’s dark and grey. Ellie has her face in her hands, crying as the doctor shakes his head no.

She sits in their front yard. She’s sad. Carl comes to cheer her up. He brings her the old Adventure book and she smiles again.

They make a Paradise Falls jar and put money and coins into it. The pile starts to grow but a series of events happen over time. Car tires blow out, the coin pile decreases. They put more money in it and Carl has his leg in a cast and the money decreases. The roof blows off in a storm, etc.

Now they’re elderly and the Paradise Falls jar is empty, forgotten. Carl loving looks at his elderly wife doing the daily chores. She’s happy, but you get the feeling that he’s sad for not giving her what he promised her. He looks at the crayon drawing of Paradise Falls she had in her adventure book and makes a trip to the travel place.

He has two tickets to South America. He hides them in the picnic basket and takes her out on a picnic. He makes it to the top of the hill. She doesn’t, collapsing halfway up. He runs to her.

Next we’re in a hospital. He’s very sad. She pushes her adventure book to him and makes him cross his heart. He does.

Next we see him slouched, wearing a black suit. He’s surrounded by hundreds of balloons… if I remember right they all had her name on them.

This sequence was already heartbreaking in this early form.

Carl lives on a few more years before his house is threatened by impending construction. So, he ties thousands and thousands of balloons to his roof with the intention of sailing to South America and bringing Ellie, in spirit, to Paradise Falls.

He apparently can steer his house with his weathervane.

But he has a stowaway when he makes this journey. A chubby asian kid named Russell, a boy scout trying to get his last merit badge, one for assisting the elderly.

They make it to S. America, but just before they get to where they need to go they crash and thrown from the house. The house starts to float away and just before it’s out of reach, they grab on to a garden hose and keep it from leaving them.

Neither of them can climb back up to it, but they don’t want to leave it, so they each tie a line to themselves and traverse the South American jungles pulling the house behind him like a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon for the last 15 miles.

They showed us a test piece, with temp sets and character models and it looked really funny. Carl was short and squat, with his tennis-balled cane. Russell is whining. He’s tired. Carl is short with him and Russell falls over dramatically, but the balloon keeps him from doing much more than floating up and down. He ends up dragging forward on the ground, where he sees a bug and gets excited. He unclips himself and runs after it.

Carl looks back and sees he’s the only one tethered. He calls after the boy, getting no response as he’s slowly lifted up further and further and further until he’s out of frame. A bird squaks and he grumbles. There’s a tussle we don’t see and his cane drops to the forest floor.

They announced that the villain will be voiced by Christopher Plummer and that was it for their UP presentation.

That's awesome!!!! It sounds so good!!!
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

I don't know, that description doesn't sound too thrilling to me.

It seems very different for a Disney/Pixar film. I'll be able to judge better when I can see a trailer. At any rate, I'll definitely see the film, and probably end up loving it.