Why no thumbs down for Pan & Scan?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Joshua Clinard
Gold Classic Collection

Why no thumbs down for Pan & Scan?

Post by Joshua Clinard »

On the Coming Soon list? Like the Gnome Mobile, Miracle of the White Stallions, Night Crossing, and other?

And why is Disney still releasing these classic titles Pan & Scan?

All I gotta say is Flight of the Navigator BETTER be widescreen.
Last edited by Joshua Clinard on Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ballzo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Ballzo »

According to this website Disney has released all of their films in the original theater aspect ratio which is sometimes full screen. Widescreen didnt come till later.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Ballzo wrote:According to this website Disney has released all of their films in the original theater aspect ratio which is sometimes full screen. Widescreen didnt come till later.
Actually, you couldn't be further from the truth. Why don't you show me where it says that?

I can guess you misread that they've released all the Animated Classics in their original aspect ratio, although Fox and the Hound is still suspect, I think.
Ballzo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Ballzo »

So Luke, only the animated are original aspect ratio?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Ballzo wrote:So Luke, only the animated are original aspect ratio?
Pan & Scan DVDs to Avoid
Joshua Clinard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Joshua Clinard »

That is what he said. There are plenty of catalog live-action DVD's that have been released in Pan & Scan, although recently, most have been in Widescreen. I hope they are not reversing that trend, but it appears that they are. We may not know for sure until the discs come out.
Last edited by Joshua Clinard on Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ballzo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Ballzo »

Wow, it's a good thing I would never buy those films in the first place! I have been buying my DVDs widescreen as long as ive had a DVD player and long before I got my Big Widescreen HDTV! Why would somone want to pay for 2/3 of a movie? Fullscreen versions should be 2/3 of the price!
Ballzo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Ballzo »

One thing I forgot to mention. People that do not buy Widescreen DVDs main complaint is the "black bars" are annoying! Well if you just zoom in you will get the fullscreen version and you wont be kicking yourself down the road when you realize your whole life you have been living a lie, not buying the whole version of the film!
GOGOinVegas
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GOGOinVegas »

I hope this isnt old news, but I stumbled on this website article on this subject. Im kinda new here , so I hope its news to some of you as well!

http://www.widescreen.org/commentaries/ ... _may.shtml

I cant stand full screen movies either!!

If this article is true, (The Walmart thing is absolutely true) I am bummed out too! :(
Jules: You know the shows on TV?
Vincent: I don't watch TV.
Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Be careful about what you're saying, though. Some movies are supposed to fill your screen. "Original aspect ratio" is the important thing.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Pan and Scam

Post by Disney Guru »

I don't like Pan and Scam either. I wish that they would put them all out on Widescreen format. I love Widescreen format it is the best that there is.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Pan and Scam

Post by Luke »

Disney Guru wrote:I don't like Pan and Scam either. I wish that they would put them all out on Widescreen format. I love Widescreen format it is the best that there is.
And yet, four whole days ago, you said:
Disney Guru wrote::excellent: I am personally a big fan of FUllSCREEN DVD'S. I like both Widescreen and FullScreen it makes no difference to me what the screen size is!
Joshua Clinard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Joshua Clinard »

Luke, would you mind updating that pan and scan list with some of the more recent titles?
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Luke wrote:
Disney Guru wrote:I don't like Pan and Scam either. I wish that they would put them all out on Widescreen format. I love Widescreen format it is the best that there is.
Disney Guru wrote::excellent: I am personally a big fan of FUllSCREEN DVD'S. I like both Widescreen and FullScreen it makes no difference to me what the screen size is!
:lol:

As for me, I enjoy a movie either way, but if I ever want to buy the dvd of amovie, I'd prefer to get it widescreen. And the only DVD I own in fullscreen is E.T., because we got the wrong DVD without realizing it. But I don't mind, because I've never seen E.T. in widescreen, and I love it for what it is, regardless of the aspect ratio.

Al G
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
karlsen
Special Edition

Post by karlsen »

Luke wrote:
It's nice to see that people can change, aint it Luke. :D
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

karlsen wrote:
Luke wrote: And yet, four whole days ago, you said:
It's nice to see that people can change, aint it Luke. :D
Or that they see a bandwagon and jump on it.

Al G
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Joshua Clinard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Joshua Clinard »

I think he was being faceitious, hence the icon of Mr. Burns.
Sir Hawkins
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sir Hawkins »

I'm so glad I"m not the only one that is completely dissatisfied with Disnye's aspect ratio decisions. Like most of you, I will not be purchasing the recently released "Night Crossing", nor any of the slew of pan-and-scan live action Disney DVDs that have come out in the recent years. It's a complete waste of money. I will also barrage DIsney with emails letting them know this. I do wonder though, why are they so unpredictable about the aspect ratios? Like I said in another post, Apple Dumpling Gang 2 is fullscreen, but then they release ADG 1 in widescreen. Also, all the Vault Disney titles are in Widescreen (thank heaven for that! At least they kept the greatest classics sacred)
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Based on Disney's most recent decisions, (abandoning 2D because they think only CG will sell) don't you think that not buying these classic films will cause them to think that people just don't want them, as opposed to people only want them in their original aspect ratio? I personally buy the catalogue titles reguardless of the aspect ratio because this is the only way to even see these films, let alone own them. Disney has me cornered.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
Sir Hawkins
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sir Hawkins »

That may be the case, except that I, and hopefully others who have decided not to buy pan-and-scan, will constantly email them and tell them WHY we're not buying these DVDs. I do agree with you, protesting/boycotting does nothing except confuse those being protested if the protestors don't clearly state the reason and purpose behind their actions.