CARS DVD PREVIEW - Scans Screen shots ((UPDATED))

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Okie Tigger
Limited Issue

Post by Okie Tigger »

My first post... :o

I'm as exicited as anyone on the Blu-ray stuff but I'm wondering...

how does Cars look? :D

It should look phenomenal. Visually, the opening sequence blew me away.

Also, is One Man Band 16:9 enhanced?

Look forward to participating here.

Thanks for the heads-up lighthouseMike :)

Edit: Also, is MATG 16:9 and for that matter all the other bonus stuff?
Last edited by Okie Tigger on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ka-Chow!
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

I just want this format war to be over!
UDer #3495 :D
Buzz Lightyear
Limited Issue

Post by Buzz Lightyear »

Just a question about the DVD Casing, I suspect it's like the others and comes in a slipsleeve, but with the surprising news that it's one disc I'm not 100% certain on anything regarding this release. And is the Ratatouille preview just a trailer or is it in the style of the Cars preview on Toy Story 1, where the director is the one talking about it. I'm just wondering, I still don't know if I'll pick it up, maybe I'll wait til June, see if they do an SE to coincide with the release of Ratatouille in theatres, and if there isn't any news about an SE, than I'll just go for it and pick up the single disc.
lighthousemike
Gold Classic Collection

Post by lighthousemike »

ORIGINAL POST UPDATED WITH THE INFO YOU WANTED TO KNOW.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

Just wonder for anyone who picked up the EzyDVD version of Cars (Bonus Disc) what's on it. They didn't have any extra disc versions in New Zealand, but you can buy it a get a free poster (the one with all the characters on the main street (including helicopters)).

The Region 4 (AUS/NZ) version didn't include the Blu-ray preview, from what I could see. The THX start thing is cool, similar the the cow one.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
Okie Tigger
Limited Issue

Post by Okie Tigger »

Thanks for the update Mike. Looks like it *could* be an awesome transfer.
Ka-Chow!
Okie Tigger
Limited Issue

Post by Okie Tigger »

As far as discussing the various deals/promos when buying the Cars dvd, will there be another thread for that or will we discuss that here in this thread?

I guess I've decided to go ahead and get this rather than rent and wait for a better dvd or Blu-ray but I guess I'll try and get it as cheap as possible.
Ka-Chow!
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Sadly, I was informed today my Credit Card for the 2 Disc Cars from EzyDVD was declined. However, I know the card was good. Perhaps I just keyed the details in wrong, or perhaps the banking system was faulty at the time.

However, they have told me to cancel my order and re-order, which of course I can't because its sold out. I guess I won't get the 2 disc after all.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

2099net wrote:Sadly, I was informed today my Credit Card for the 2 Disc Cars from EzyDVD was declined. However, I know the card was good. Perhaps I just keyed the details in wrong, or perhaps the banking system was faulty at the time.

However, they have told me to cancel my order and re-order, which of course I can't because its sold out. I guess I won't get the 2 disc after all.
Well, I rang EzyDVD up yesterday, who were very helpful and as a result, my 2 Disc Cars tin was shipped out today!

EzyDVD were very helpful, professional and efficient. Even though the stock was officially "sold out" they said there would be no problem fulfilling my order. An excellent service. :up:
Buzz Lightyear
Limited Issue

Post by Buzz Lightyear »

Just looking at the image of the insert and noticed it doesn't credit any of the writers and even worse it doesn't have Joe Ranft's credit as co- director, all the other Pixar inserts have credited their writers and the co- director (but all the other Pixar films have been 2 discs). I find it a bit insulting they don't mention Mr. Ranft's name in any credits on the packaging. Just another sign that Disney feels they can now neglect Pixar since they bought them out.

Anyways, adding to the discussion on bonuses, Future Shop, which is a major chain here in Canada (just if you didn't know) is advertising that Cars comes in something called a "Steelbook Case" which I have no clue what it is, but the image on it is just the first poster of the logo on a fancy red background. I'm pretty sure that some store in the States will be getting it, since about 99% of the bonuses I've got from them have been avalible in the states (usually either Target or Best Buy).
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Buzz Lightyear wrote:Just looking at the image of the insert and noticed it doesn't credit any of the writers and even worse it doesn't have Joe Ranft's credit as co- director, all the other Pixar inserts have credited their writers and the co- director (but all the other Pixar films have been 2 discs). I find it a bit insulting they don't mention Mr. Ranft's name in any credits on the packaging. Just another sign that Disney feels they can now neglect Pixar since they bought them out.

Anyways, adding to the discussion on bonuses, Future Shop, which is a major chain here in Canada (just if you didn't know) is advertising that Cars comes in something called a "Steelbook Case" which I have no clue what it is, but the image on it is just the first poster of the logo on a fancy red background. I'm pretty sure that some store in the States will be getting it, since about 99% of the bonuses I've got from them have been available in the states (usually either Target or Best Buy).
Yes, this release should have been MUCH better. If this is what Disney is going to do with Pixar, now that they own Pixar, then I'm not so happy with Disney's purchase, afterall.

As far as what a "Steelbook Case" is, it is a tin. Future Shop is owned by Best Buy, so that would explain why you've been able to buy Future Shop bonuses at Best Buy. I think that would be great for Cars to be released in a tin, at Best Buy. However, you would think that this would already be available online, for pre-order. So far, Best Buy doesn't list any exclusive for Cars, however, we should know by next week if they are going to offer anything. As it stands, right now, the only exclusive I know of in the U.S. is the bonus DVD at Wal-Mart.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

Noticed a little while back that bvhe.com.au says that Cars is 86 minutes long and the DVD cover says the same thing, so it looks like they've made a mistake there. The Austalasian (Region 4) version runs for approximately 111 minutes.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Yeah, I read that it was 111 minutes as well. That is surprisingly long for a Disney film.
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The actual running time is 116 from beginning (THX Logo) until the very end. Anything less would be considered an edit job. Watch out for that!!

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Don't forget PAL speed-up DVDJunkie! They are discussing a PAL release.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

dvdjunkie wrote:The actual running time is 116 from beginning (THX Logo) until the very end. Anything less would be considered an edit job. Watch out for that!!

:roll:
But if that's the running time for the Theatrical version, then it may include One Man Band:

Cars (Region 4): 111 minutes 46 seconds
One Man Band: 4 minutes 21 seconds
Combined running time: 116 minutes 7 seconds
THX Startup: 45 seconds
Combined with THX: 116 minutes 52 seconds

I wouldn't think being PAL would make a difference though, because don't they just take the master and reformat it to 720 x 576 running at 25 frames per second, so theoretically the PAL footage should take just as long, but in fewer frames (more time between each frame change), I could be wrong though, I'll do some research into.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Hogi Bear wrote:I wouldn't think being PAL would make a difference though, because don't they just take the master and reformat it to 720 x 576 running at 25 frames per second, so theoretically the PAL footage should take just as long, but in fewer frames (more time between each frame change), I could be wrong though, I'll do some research into.
PAL does yield a 4% speed-up, the difference between 24 frames per second (NTSC) and 25 frames per second (PAL). The extra frame per second makes the PAL version run quicker and in the case of a nearly two-hour movie, several minutes faster.
Okie Tigger
Limited Issue

Post by Okie Tigger »

Great review Luke.

One question... would you say that this is the *best* Pixar DVD transfer-wise?
Ka-Chow!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Okie Tigger wrote:Great review Luke.

One question... would you say that this is the *best* Pixar DVD transfer-wise?
Thanks. I'm not sure how to answer that since, to my eyes and on 4x3 TVs / monitors, every Pixar DVD that I've seen (and that would be all of them) has looked as perfect as DVD technology would allow them to be, even the non-anamorphic <i>Bug's Life</i>. If I were to do A/B comparisons to older Pixar discs, I would not be surprised if <i>Cars</i> came out victorious, but personally I just don't see a wide range of qualities we're talking about when it comes to Pixar films on DVD. Still, I think if we take into account the advanced nature of the animation in combination with the DVD's flawless video presentation, then <i>Cars</i> is probably the best-looking transfer of the bunch. I would imagine the bit rate is as high as they come, based on the paucity of bonus features and even languages/subtitles, though perhaps the much shorter <i>Toy Story</i> could rival it.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

Luke wrote:PAL does yield a 4% speed-up, the difference between 24 frames per second (NTSC) and 25 frames per second (PAL). The extra frame per second makes the PAL version run quicker and in the case of a nearly two-hour movie, several minutes faster.
Thanks, just realised that I had NSTC's frame rate wrong. I don't know why, but I thought it was 30 frames per second and there for couldn't understand why there would be a speed up. :oops: