Disney LDs

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
philipp616
Limited Issue

Disney LDs

Post by philipp616 »

I have a few questions abut the Disney LDs....

First I like to know if ther's a site about that with pictures and other information.. Are the Disney LDs really so great??

Which LD Realeses were better than the DVD Version?

Are the DVDs of Hunchback of notre dame or alice in wonderland for example really so bad compared to the LDs?? Can we expect new Special Edition Realeses in the future?

I can't undestad why they sometimes don't put all the materials the have on the DVDs. I dont want games or such things maybe interesting for a few little childrens I want behind the scenes materials, trailers, art galleries and nothing more...

Greetings
Philipp
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Well, I think that the differences between the content of LDs and DVDs is due to the groups of people that they were marketed for. Laserdiscs were popular among hard core movie fans. DVDs are marketed to the general public. To make them interesting to children they put games on the discs and less of the 'meaty' extras that were on LDs. They need to satisfy us as well and they try I think, but they have to think about familes, kids and the general movie buying public. Without them, DVDs wouldn't have the popularity they do and would probably die out like the LD format.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Laserdisc content blows away DVD's

Post by Jules »

Laserdiscs may have gone the way of the dinosaur but the content on them was unbelieveable. I have almost all the box sets which is were the content was the best.

I have purchased every disney animated movie on DVD since 1999 and the smaller format is so much easier to handle then my laserdiscs. The content on the DVD's is very weak though but im not too concerned since i have the material already on the laserdiscs. Even the platinum collection titles are not even close to content on the laserdiscs. My snow white box set had so much content i was dispappointed and happy at the same time i have material which was exclusive to the laserdiscs and that goes for many of the movies.

The upcoming Lion King may be another example with the making of documentary possibly not showing but its in the box set which i have. I enjoy watching it from time to time.

Luckily before laserdiscs disappeared i had purchased a LD DVD player so i could have both formats in one machine. Not too long after they quick making laserdisc players so i bought it at the right time.

I personaly do not see a difference in image quality even though DVDs are being called superior.

Its a debate that will go on which is better i dont care i have both and i enjoy watching both formats so thast the bottom line to enjoy the movies.

Chuck
disneylaser

Disney laser discs

Post by disneylaser »

I have been a fan of the Disney laserdiscs, specifically the animated classics, for over 15 years. And although I have purchased all of the DVD versions, the laserdisc extras, especially in the box sets are what sold me. Picture quality is about even, but I will give the sound quality edge to DVD.
The thing that frustrates me most about the DVD versions of the Disney classics is the editing out of questionable materials. Thats why I still am trying to get a Japanese copy of Make Mine Music & Melody Time.
Here a couple of sites of interest

http://www.imdb.com/ -a great source of laserdisc info

http://home.catv.ne.jp/nn/nsa/DisneyLDs.htm -a great source of Disney Japanese laserdiscs

http://www.geocities.com/disney_laserdiscs/ -a great listing of all Disney Japanese laserdiscs

Hope this info was helpful
The Lizard King
Special Edition

Disney laser discs

Post by The Lizard King »

Thats why I still am trying to get a Japanese copy of Make Mine Music & Melody Time.
I have both of these available for sale if you are serious about acquiring them.

TLK
The Lizard King
Special Edition

Re: Disney LDs

philipp616 wrote:Which LD Realeses were better than the DVD Version?
I like the transfer of Pocahontas on the LD Box Set MUCH better than the grainy DVD.
philipp616 wrote:Are the DVDs of Hunchback of notre dame or alice in wonderland for example really so bad compared to the LDs?? Can we expect new Special Edition Realeses in the future?
Both of these LD Box Sets have a TON of more material than either DVD.
philipp616 wrote:I can't undestad why they sometimes don't put all the materials the have on the DVDs. I dont want games or such things maybe interesting for a few little childrens I want behind the scenes materials, trailers, art galleries and nothing more...
I think that LDs and DVDs are marketed to slightly different consumers. LDers are interested in content directly related to the film. Many "family-oriented" DVDs (like the ones that you have mentioned) are marketed for child entertainment. In my experience with my 3- and 6-year-old children, they could care less about "making of" featurettes.

TLK
The Lizard King
Special Edition

Re: Disney LDs

Peter Pan wrote:Laserdiscs may have gone the way of the dinosaur but the content on them was unbelieveable. I have almost all the box sets which is were the content was the best.
Agreed.
Peter Pan wrote:I have purchased every disney animated movie on DVD since 1999 and the smaller format is so much easier to handle then my laserdiscs. The content on the DVD's is very weak though but im not too concerned since i have the material already on the laserdiscs. Even the platinum collection titles are not even close to content on the laserdiscs. My snow white box set had so much content i was dispappointed and happy at the same time i have material which was exclusive to the laserdiscs and that goes for many of the movies.
Just another reason for not getting rid of my Disney LD collection. :)
Peter Pan wrote:The upcoming Lion King may be another example with the making of documentary possibly not showing but its in the box set which i have. I enjoy watching it from time to time.

Luckily before laserdiscs disappeared i had purchased a LD DVD player so i could have both formats in one machine. Not too long after they quick making laserdisc players so i bought it at the right time.
Let me guess... a Pioneer DVL-909 or DVL-919.
Peter Pan wrote:I personaly do not see a difference in image quality even though DVDs are being called superior.
If you had a 16x9 HDTV, you would. Anamorphic DVDs are the norm. Squeezed LDs are the exception.
Peter Pan wrote:Its a debate that will go on which is better i dont care i have both and i enjoy watching both formats so thast the bottom line to enjoy the movies.

Chuck
Hear hear!

TLK
Jules
Diamond Edition

LD and this forum

Post by Jules »

As i posted before i love Laserdiscs even though they have gone the way of 8track you still got to love those huge silver discs.

And TLK i have the DVL 909 pioneer player. Best money i spent. Was very expensive though close to a grand but for my disney collection the reason i got into laserdiscs it was worth it. I had no idea they would disappear. When DVD's arrived i wondered if disney would relent and jump on the bandwagon. Took them long enough! When they went DVD i bought the player so i could have both formats and gave my old laserdisc player to my brother. I got the original player with all three star wars movies (great deal) and was hooked especially the box sets for disney they are WONDERFUL.

As for this forum can anyone tell me how to become a member. I tried to register at the top of this screen and there is alot of information to fill in that i did not understand. Any help please. or is there somewhere else to register?

I have been visiting this site for sometime and its time to join.

Thanks
Peter Pan (my personal favorite) I have every version of the movie VHS Laserdisc and both DVD's cant get enough of it.

aka Chuck
The Lizard King
Special Edition

Re: LD and this forum

Peter Pan wrote:As i posted before i love Laserdiscs even though they have gone the way of 8track you still got to love those huge silver discs.
I don't think that they've gone the same route as the 8-track, since there are still MANY titles that exist on LD that haven't been released on DVD.
Peter Pan wrote:And TLK i have the DVL 909 pioneer player. Best money i spent. Was very expensive though close to a grand but for my disney collection the reason i got into laserdiscs it was worth it. I had no idea they would disappear. When DVD's arrived i wondered if disney would relent and jump on the bandwagon. Took them long enough! When they went DVD i bought the player so i could have both formats and gave my old laserdisc player to my brother. I got the original player with all three star wars movies (great deal) and was hooked especially the box sets for disney they are WONDERFUL.
What was your original player? I have a CLD-D704 and a CLD-3070.
Peter Pan wrote:As for this forum can anyone tell me how to become a member. I tried to register at the top of this screen and there is alot of information to fill in that i did not understand. Any help please. or is there somewhere else to register?
Try e-mailing Luke at: [email protected]. He might be able to help you.
Peter Pan wrote:I have been visiting this site for sometime and its time to join.

Thanks
Peter Pan (my personal favorite) I have every version of the movie VHS Laserdisc and both DVD's cant get enough of it.

aka Chuck
I only have the latest DVD. I never bought the LD back in the day.

TLK
Luke
Site Admin

Re: LD and this forum

Post by Luke »

Peter Pan wrote:As for this forum can anyone tell me how to become a member. I tried to register at the top of this screen and there is alot of information to fill in that i did not understand. Any help please. or is there somewhere else to register?
Most of the info to register is optional. All you really need is a username, password, and e-mail address.

If you need help with an avatar or signature, I can help you out with that too.

:)
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

As far as I know, the Collector's LD Boxed Sets for Disney films were:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Saludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros (both together)
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Sleeping Beauty
Aladdin
The Lion King
Pocahontas
The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Peter Pan, since you have all the LD's, let me know what I'm missing. :)
Last edited by Disneykid on Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Peter Pan-

If you are having trouble registering... are you using AOL? I am and I had trouble too, I have to open Internet Explorer to use the board. I guess this format isn't compatible with AOL, cause I had trouble with the von Drake boards as well.
The Lizard King
Special Edition

Disneykid wrote:As as I know, the Collector's LD Boxed Sets for Disney films were:
<SNIP>
Aladdin
<SNIP>
Are you sure about this box set? AFAIK, like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin was never released in America as an LD Box Set. However, Aladdin (along with BATB) was released exclusively in Japan as an LD Box Set.

Other than that, your list looks complete.

TLK
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Beauty and the Beast I know, but I'm positive aladdin was released in a Ld boxed set; I've seen it both on ebay and physically in retail outlets. The cover shows the Genie under blue light and he's looking down at the lamp which is on the bottom of the cover. The regular Aladdin LD has the same cover as the VHS.
Sethp
Limited Issue

Post by Sethp »

In the US Aladdin was released on LD in two versions, A: a 1disc clv release in PanScan and B: a 2disc CAV relase with a much nicer cover (perhaps that's why you think it was a boxed set).

Wasn't there a Mary Poppins boxed set aswell?
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Ah, nevermind, then. :oops:

Yeah, there was a Mary Poppins boxed set, too. I didn't list it because I was focusing on the animated classics. :D
Jules
Diamond Edition

Aladdin LD and box sets

Post by Jules »

As far as i know there was no US box set available. I cant say for japan and its a shame they get some of the best releases. Like Song of the South which luckily i ordered when it was still available in 98-99

Yes there is no doubt there was two Aladdin releases
The original VHS cover which was the Pan and Scan version YUCK! I hate these releases I want the orginal aspect ratio!

The widescreen version is the cooler blue cover with the genie (the one i bought) Widescreen all the way baby. Its sad about some of the DVD foolscreen releases.

I was surprised to see Goofy Movie on DVD not widescreen the Laserdisc is widescreen so why not the DVD? we may never know.

Lasrdisc Box sets i own if i am missing any then i was not aware of them and i could swear i got them all. I had to order many because not many places carried Laserdiscs. If i am missing any someone let me know i will hunt them down to complete my collection. Thanks.

Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Saludos Amigos The Three Cabelleros
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland DVD is missing the good Hour in wonderland broadcast
Sleeping Beauty (Excellant) so far the DVD coming almost mirrors this one
The Lion King
Pocahontas
Toy Story (Sad they did not put all the pixar shorts from the 80's on the 3 disc DVD collection unless i missed them somewhere i found a couple)
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Tron (Cool one)

Mary Poppins was a Archive series Very good hopefully the new DVD will be like this one if it does show.
Other archives
20,000 Leagues hopefully DVD will be similar
Swiss Family Robinson

Chuck
Peter Pan

Question

Post by Peter Pan »

I just registered but how do i attach an image that shows under the screen name?

Just curious.
Chuck[/img]
Well well, a Codfish on a HOOK!
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Question

Post by Luke »

Peter Pan wrote:I just registered but how do i attach an image that shows under the screen name?

Just curious.
Chuck
There are a few ways. You can put in the address of the image if it's hosted on another website. Or you can upload it from your computer's hard drive. Or you could choose from the pre-selected ones in the "Gallery."

If you still need help and have an image, let me know and I'll fix it for you.
Peter Pan

Think i am finally set Luke

Post by Peter Pan »

I added an image for under my screen name and this is the best way for me to check to see if it worked by posting a message. Glad to be here as a registered user.

Chuck
Well well, a Codfish on a HOOK!