UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Reviews: Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Loomis wrote:Actually, the main thing I want to know - and maybe somebody else can answer this - is whether it is worth an upgrade from my 2-CD Happiest Celebration CD. Cheers...
Think of the 2-CD set as a CliffsNotes for the 6-CD set. It gives you the gist of what you need to know, but there's so much more beyond what they give you that's worth getting the actual thing.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Escapay wrote:
Loomis wrote:Actually, the main thing I want to know - and maybe somebody else can answer this - is whether it is worth an upgrade from my 2-CD Happiest Celebration CD. Cheers...
Think of the 2-CD set as a CliffsNotes for the 6-CD set. It gives you the gist of what you need to know, but there's so much more beyond what they give you that's worth getting the actual thing.

Escapay
Cheers, mate.

I'm bound to get it eventually, but I'm trying to justify the disneyshopping.com prices to get the edition with the vinyl. Even the non-vinyl inclusive edition on Amazon is quite pricey...
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

Excellent work on the Chronicles of Narnia review! I also liked the beginning Walt-Lewis parallel. And good job on the Best Pals: Mickey & Minnie DVD Review. I always enjoy reading the reviews, so keep up the good work!
Last edited by CJ on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Hood
Anniversary Edition

Post by Robin Hood »

Great job on all the new reviews. :up:
- Jonathan
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

Nice work on the LWW review, Luke. While our opinions differ on some points, the detailed descriptions you gave of the movie, A/V, and features are enormously helpful to potential buyers.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement. It really means a lot. And yes, I'm hoping to catch up on everything that has slipped past me in the next few weeks. Disneyland report, Year in Review, <i>Musical History</i> review, "Spin & Marty", "Power Rangers S.P.D.", etc. Is it wishful thinking on my part that it will all get done? Maybe. But this is as quiet a span in BVHE's release schedule as there has been in nearly a year. So, it seems as good a time as any to get this stuff done.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Four of this week's five Disney DVD releases are now reviewed here:

Walt Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites: Volume 10 - Best Pals: Mickey & Minnie:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/ccf10-mic ... innie.html

Walt Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites: Volume 11 - Best Pals: Donald & Daisy:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/ccf11-donaldanddaisy.html

Walt Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites: Volume 12 - Best Pals: Mickey & Pluto:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/ccf12-mickeyandpluto.html

The Greatest Game Ever Played:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/greatestg ... layed.html

Much work went into them. Read them!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
PR Fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PR Fan »

Good Reviews there Luke for 2 of the Classic Collections, and The Greatest Game Ever Played even though I can't wait for That Pooh Movie the only one i bought out of this week's release's. Also good review there Aaron on The Mickey and Pluto edition.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Just read the Greatest Game Ever Played review, and I found no mention of Hungy Hungry Hippo at all. I thought it was about the "greatest game". You sure slipped up this time, Admin Luke of UD.com!!!

On a more serious note, I suspect I am one of those people you refer to as having "a soft spot for underdog sports dramas", but not necessarily golf. I might give this one a look when it comes out here on DVD in a few months. Nice work - decent set of bonus features too!
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Loomis wrote:Just read the Greatest Game Ever Played review, and I found no mention of Hungy Hungry Hippo at all. I thought it was about the "greatest game". You sure slipped up this time, Admin Luke of UD.com!!!
Aw man, I miss playing Hungry Hungry Hippo! Jane got it for her birthday once (years and years ago), and the three of us (Jane, me, Kram) would play it endlessly. I don't know what happened to it, though. it must be in the basement somewhere.

BTW, Loom, the greatest game is actually Strip Battleship.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Wasn't it "Hippos" instead of "Hippo"?

Anyway, great reviews, Luke & Aaron! I can't say I collect the CCF DVDs, but you guys' reviews make them look worth the money, especially the Donald & Daisy one. Top quality reviews as always.

I haven't read the Greatest Game Ever Played review, but I'll get around to that as soon as I have enough time to actually get down and really read it. I'm sure I'll have more feedback for that one than I had for the CCF DVDs. Can't wait for the Pooh's Grand Adventure review. I know the answer to the aspect ratio question, since I have the DVD, but I can't wait for everyone else's reactions once they read the review! I'm sure it'll be great.
- John
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Pasta67 wrote:I know the answer to the aspect ratio question, since I have the DVD, but I can't wait for everyone else's reactions once they read the review!
Spoil it for me in white. What is it?

Man, I knew I should've bought it today at Wal-Mart when I had the chance. Now I have to be in suspense like everyone else...

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Escapay wrote:
Pasta67 wrote:I know the answer to the aspect ratio question, since I have the DVD, but I can't wait for everyone else's reactions once they read the review!
Spoil it for me in white. What is it?
Well, I kinda though Luke would've wanted to have the honor of telling everyone, since he's had the DVD the longest, but if any of you don't want to know until the review is posted, just don't read this post.

Alright Escapay, here it is: I compared the 1.66:1 widescreen DVD to my original VHS with 1.33:1 fullscreen and found that the movie was indeed created in 1.66:1 widescreen. So, what you're seeing on the DVD is the full picture. Horray! As for the restoration, in the beginning of the movie, the picture quality is perfect, IMO. But once the movie gets to around the part where Pooh sings Wherever You Are, artifacts start popping up frequently until the end of the film. It's not too distracting, but it's there. Maybe Disney got lazy with the restoration or something.
- John
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Thanks, Pasta.

Now I'm looking even more forward to the Lukester's review!

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I'm glad you saw the same thing I did with regard to the picture quality, Pasta. I saw another website gave the DVD a 10/10 for video and I wondered if they finished watching the movie!

Anyway, full review can't be too far off. Just finished my second viewing tonight.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Later than I had hoped for, yes. Longer than I had hoped for, yes.

Nevertheless, here it is, the much-anticipated <b>Pooh's Grand Adventure</b> DVD review:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/poohsgrandadventure.html
Mushu
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mushu »

Great job on the Pooh's Grand Adventure review, Luke! And since I haven't said it yet, you and the whole review staff have done a great job on every review. Ever since I first started coming to this site, I have read almost every review for a Disney movie and many others. Keep up the good work! :)
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

As much as I've been anitcipating this review, I'm can't read it in its entirety right now. I'm gonna be honest with ya Luke, I'm exhausted, as you'll probably be able to notice from the countless typos I'll surely make in this post. I had a BIG day, but I'll be sure to put this review on the top of my things-to-read list tomorrow.

I did however, have just enough energy to read the part about the video quality. I noticed that you said you couldn't find the original way the movie looked in fullscreen anywhere. I have the VHS, which I'm assuming is the original version you were looking for. Since all you had to go by were screencaps from the "Pooh's Symphony" fluffpiece, I went back to by VHS to the same spot you used for your widescreen/fullscreen comparison images in the review. I can tell you that the fullscreen on my VHS is slightly different from the fullscreen on the DVD. The fullscreen on the VHS has slightly less picture on all four sides, as if it was zoomed in once it was formatted. Just in case you were unsure, the fullscreen on the DVD you have is better for comparison. Not sure about the international DVDs though, sorry. Hope that clears at least a little bit of the uncertainty you had.

By the way, anybody else's intelligence go down after watching the "Pooh's Symphony" featurette?

"This person is called......a musician."

Naw, for realz?! I didn't know that! :roll:
- John
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Time to bring back the dancing elephants...

(Escapay is looking at his group of dancing elephants...)

Escapay:
Right, now, you three...no, not you. You were the dancing elephants during the CCF's. You in the back.

(A dancing elephant points to himself and mouths "Me???")

Escapay:
Yes, you, the little one. Come up here.

(Little Dancing Elephant comes up)

Escapay:
You're gonna lead this dance, okay?

LDE:
Do I have to?

Escapay:
It's not like you have a choice. I do type you out after all...

LDE:
But, but...

Escapay:
No buts. Now, get in line with the other two.

(LDE joins two other elephants in line, standing and waiting to go.)

Escapay:
Oh shi...hold on, I have to check the lights.

(Escapay leaves the stage and goes up to the control room to check on the lights. The elephants start talking.)

LDE:
So, how many times does he do this?

Elephant 1:
Eh, whenever he finds a review he likes. Or just one that he reads and feels he needs to leave a comment.

Elephant 2:
I heard he really liked this one.

Elephant 1:
He always likes them. Why do you think he ended up buying coasters like The Boatniks, The World's Greatest Athlete, and The Lion King?

LDE:
I wish I didn't have to be up here.

Elephant 2:
Don't worry about it! It's a privilege to be a Dancing Elephant! You get to dance forever and ever so long as a UD member is watching you!

LDE:
Forever???!!!

Elephant 1:
Well at least until UltimateDisney ceases to exist, or monkeys take over the world. Whichever comes first.

(Escapay comes back from the control room.)

Escapay:
Ready, elephants?

Elephant 1:
Of course.

Elephant 2:
Yep!

(LDE is silent. They all stare at him.)

LDE:
*sigh* Yes.

Escapay:
Then dance, my elephants, dance!

(The Elephants begin dancing.)

:pink: :pink: :pink:

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the latest pack of elephants, Escapay! Thanks for the extremely kind words, Mushu! I'm glad you guys find worth to the reviews as they are soooooo time-consuming to research/write/edit/format. And disappointingly under-read, when you consider how many people visit this site each day.

Pasta, I'm guessing that you were watching the VHS on a regular TV, right? In that case, if it feels zoomed in on all four sides, that's probably due to overscan. Thanks for your input on what you saw, though! It was one of the most helpful sources on a review that was in need of sources.

In any event, I'm glad the aspect ratio isn't a major foul-up the way it was for <i>King of Thieves</i>.