Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour closing

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
jwa1107
Gold Classic Collection

Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour closing

Post by jwa1107 »

The Oriental Land Company today announced it will be closing the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour on April 5, 2006.

This unique attraction opened in 1986 in response to guests wanting to enter the castle. It was a walk-through attraction featuring a battle of good v. evil.

Future plans for the castle have not yet been announced.

:(
it is the only place I know of in any Disney Park you can see the Horned King from The Black Cauldron
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I read about this seemingly awesome attraction in the late Disney Magazine. It's a shame a villain-based attraction is closing. :(
By the way, does anyone have some good pics from it.
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

I am very happy that I got to experience the attraction on my last visit to Tokyo. The Horned King animatronic was very impressive.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

i've always thought that this attraction seemed like an amazing idea and have always wished that they would adapt it to the parks here in the U.S. of course that will most likely never happen :(
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

There was a Horned King animatronic? Neat. I think the only Black Cauldron reference on US soil used to be Gurgi's Crunchings & Munchings snack bar in Fantasyland at WDW.

Since WDW gave Tokyo the Mickey Mouse Revue ever so many years ago, perhaps it's time for an exchange!
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

That's a shame. I really wanted to visit Tokyo Disneyland just to see this and some of their other unique attractions, but I guess I won't get the chance. I hope someone somewhere has sense enough to post pictures or a video online. I've had luck with this site to get parades and pictures and stuff, but as he updates the more recent stuff, he hasn't updated the original web pages with links: http://www.jtcent.com/main.php

I forget, did Tokyo have a dragon too or is that exclusive to Paris?
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

I think the Dragon AA is unique to Paris. It's the dragon from Sleeping Beauty, and since the only other SB castle is the one in Anheim, and has no AAs at all, it's safe to say that it's unique to Disneyland Paris.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

The dragon is in Tokyo to. :)
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Like lord-of-sith, I also read about this on the extinct Disney Magazine. It sounded awesome. It made me really want to go to Tokyo! :(

It sounded cool that "The Horned King" was there. Not because I like "The Black Cauldron"(because I really don't), but because I always like when they use unpopular characters for the attractions. I don't know it's just kinda of fun after seeing non-stop Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, Stitch etc.

Oh well. Let's hope something cool replaces it.
jwa1107
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jwa1107 »

here is a fan site with a few pictures:
http://www.tdrfan.com/tdl/fantasyland/mystery_tour/
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

jwa1107 wrote:here is a fan site with a few pictures:
http://www.tdrfan.com/tdl/fantasyland/mystery_tour/
That's cool. I like the changing pictures, however, I wish I could see more of the Maleficent part of the attraction. But, that's still cool.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

Yay!! Tokyo Joe came through and posted a lot of pictures and a video of Cinderella's Castle Mystery Tour!

http://www.jtcent.com/disneyland/fantasy/fancmt.html

Quick and download it now, before he removes it from the site. I think the original Cinderellabration show is still available online as well.
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

That looked like a fun attraction.... could be scary for young guests tho - im sure it had warnings for it.

wouldnt that be a fun attraction here in the USA to tour under the castle.... cant do it in FL tho cuz of the tunnel system.
Does Disneyland in CA have the CM access tunnels too?
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I have never understood why the castles aren't made more use of. They are obviously the "it" factor for the flagship parks and everyone wants to go inside... it seems to me that these sort of things would be big draws. I really wanted to see this at TDL- too bad it's closing before I'll have the chance. :(

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Fidget1234 wrote:wouldnt that be a fun attraction here in the USA to tour under the castle.... cant do it in FL tho cuz of the tunnel system.
Does Disneyland in CA have the CM access tunnels too?
I'm pretty sure Disneyland in CA doesn't have any of our utilidors. Then again, I've never been backstage at Disneyland (heck, last time I was there was 1998!), so I don't know about their backstage systems, though I'm sure there's nothing undergroud besides Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.

In a way, guests do take a tour of our FL castle when they do that special backstage tour. "Keys to the Kingdom" or whatever it's called. I always remember passing by one of the groups (in my street clothes too, lol, as I was on my way to the bus and my costume was in my messenger bag), as we were going down the long central tunnel, and Cinderella was coming up towards them,. The tour guide was all, "Hi there, Cinderella!" and she had to be in her Cindy-mode and gave them a cheerful "Hi there!" back. I could tell she did NOT want to be there, so I stopped for awhile to see them (guests and Cindy) have a conversation. And she had to stay in character the entire time. :lol:

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

yeah, im aware of the keys to the kingdom tour. i used to see them all the time too...

you have to be 16 to go on the tour & no cameras/photography at all whatsoever... cant say that i blame disney- its private info & the price is right to see it- but not to share w/ your friends & family at home afterwards either.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

OOOhhh!! I wanna go on that tour!!

Anyhow, I think it would be awesome if they could move the attraction pieces to WDW. It is afterall the same castle. I was stoked by the AA dragon and I was like, wow, what more is there after the AA dragon? The AA Horned King and Black Cauldron finale was AWESOME, though somewhat cheesy at the same time. Though it is sad that there really is no room for the attraction. I think the entrance to Cinderella's Royal Table is where the entrance is to the Myster Tour. Maybe if they alter the story line, they could put the attraction somewhere else, but keep it a villain attraction and perhaps add more Disney villains since the Horned King was the latest one when they built the attraction.

Just wondering...how is the AA Dragon set up in DLP? Is there a mystery tour as well or do you just go to the dungeons and visit the dragon?
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

The 'Keys' tour isnt that expensive either for those who want to go on it. i think With tax (& u need a ticket for the park of course cuz its a LONG tour) it's only like $60

Lunch is also included w/ the tour- tho im not sure where you eat...probably @ the "Greastro" in the Access Tunnels.
and u get a "key to the kingdom" pin to take home too...im sure those arent traded very often.

:wink:
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

It's been three years since they closed down the AWESOME Cinderella Castle mystery tour and now they're finally doing something with the space left inside.
"Cinderella" Attraction and Toy Story Mania!
Coming to Tokyo Disney Resort

May 7th, 2009

URAYASU, CHIBA - Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announced that two new attractions are scheduled to open in Tokyo Disneyland Park and at Tokyo DisneySea Park. Opening in 2011 inside Cinderella Castle in Fantasyland at Tokyo Disneyland Park will be a new walkthrough type attraction themed to the Disney classic film Cinderella. At Tokyo DisneySea Park, the new attraction Toy Story Mania! will open in 2012 in the themed port of American Waterfront.

New Tokyo Disneyland Attraction (Title Undetermined)

The Disney classic film Cinderella has been well-loved around the world since its premiere in 1950. Now guests can experience the world of Cinderella through dioramas and paintings inside Cinderella Castle. Also recreated within the castle is the grand ballroom where Cinderella danced with Prince Charming.

* Opening: 2011 (tentative)
* Attraction Location: Inside Cinderella Castle in Fantasyland
* Attraction Type: Walkthrough
* Investment: Approximately ¥2 billion (US$20.2 million)
Source: http://www.jtcent.com/extras/news/news_090507.html

Concept art of the Ballroom:

I am THRILLED that they are NOT putting in a Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Bootique like in WDW, but judging from the concept art (the little girls with the sashes), I wouldn't be surprised if one opens nearby so that they can have photo ops with the Princesses and Princes in the ballroom.

I'm glad that they're finally doing something with it, but I'm sad that it's being replaced with something not as cool as the original attraction. I guess the Mystery Tour was too scary for kids? On the other hand, seeing the actual ballroom of Cinderella is something that you would expect to see inside Cinderella Castle. I wonder what's going to happen to the audio-animatronic dragon though? Not to mention all the other audio animatronics and things in this ride. I would love to see the AA Horned King pop up in another park! Imagine how awesome that would be!!!!

If you read the rest of the article, other attractions coming to Tokyo Disney Resort are: Toy Story Mania!, Turtle Talk with Crush, and Mickey's Philharmagic. It's great that TDR is getting new attractions, but I'm sad that they're losing some unique attractions for other Disney park copies. (Mickey Mouse Revue is finally lost forever for the sake of its more modern predecessor). Also, Toy Story Mania is taking over the Disney Parks! What the heck?!?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I honestly think that it was odd having a "scary" attraction at a castle known for being magical. It made sense at the Sleeping Beauty castle walkthrough since it retold the story of Sleeping Beauty. This, however, was a villain's attraction inside a hero's castle. Not saying it was bad, but saying this new walkthrough makes sense.
ImageImageImageImage