CINDERELLA Platinum Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Post by Alan »

There are numberous threads on cinderella platinum edition. One thread is located at

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... &start=320
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Each fall and spring, we here at UD squirm with anticipation... not only because of the fact that a Platinum Edition DVD is on the way, but also because accordingly, Luke's richly detailed Platinum Edition review is on the way. And with all the mystery surrounding this one- it might be the most-anticipated yet. Quite a feat, but the review doesn't disappoint (even if the DVD does). I'm angered over the lack of a commentary track and disappointed by the inclusion of so much apparent frivolity. (I am, however, pleased that the making of the Disney Channel music video, which I very much enjoy, has been included... I guess I'd forgotten that it was going to be on there too, so that's a nice surprise because I was just thinking yesterday that I would like to have it). While I entirely disagree on the movie itself, your review conveyed your reasoning well, and I must say you're mighty brave! A really well-written and wonderfully informative review of a DVD that should have been Disney's best to date but certainly sounds like it's far from it. Thanks for putting so much time into it, as it's by far the best Cindy review I've seen yet!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

AwallaceUNC wrote:Each fall and spring, we here at UD squirm with anticipation... not only because of the fact that a Platinum Edition DVD is on the way, but also because accordingly, Luke's richly detailed Platinum Edition review is on the way. And with all the mystery surrounding this one- it might be the most-anticipated yet. Quite a feat, but the review doesn't disappoint (even if the DVD does). I'm angered over the lack of a commentary track and disappointed by the inclusion of so much apparent frivolity. (I am, however, pleased that the making of the Disney Channel music video, which I very much enjoy, has been included... I guess I'd forgotten that it was going to be on there too, so that's a nice surprise because I was just thinking yesterday that I would like to have it). While I entirely disagree on the movie itself, your review conveyed your reasoning well, and I must say you're mighty brave! A really well-written and wonderfully informative review of a DVD that should have been Disney's best to date but certainly sounds like it's far from it. Thanks for putting so much time into it, as it's by far the best Cindy review I've seen yet!

-Aaron
I agree whole-heartedly with you, Aaron. I completely, utterly, and amazingly disagree with Luke about the film, but I commend him to the highest level for giving us such honesty. I personally know that this will be my favorite Platinum Edition to date, considering Cinderella is tied with The Little Mermaid as my favorite Disney film of all time, regardless of if it doesn't have a commentary track (which I would have liked ;) ) Thanks again, Luke, and good job.

*tlm

**BTW, I just got out of school and my Mom called my cell. She was at a dentist appointment, which was, luckily, right next to Circuit City. You can guess the rest :P
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: YES!!!!!

Post by Escapay »

sethn172 wrote:
I say we call for a celebration! :party:

sethn172
Yeah, what Alan said about the other threads. But anyways, if this is the celebration thread, bring out the dancing elephants!

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

They're popping out all over the stores I should say. I posted late last night about the countdown to the "Cinderella" DVD. It was about midnight, the time where Cinderella ran down the steps and missing a glass slipper where it was changed back to the way it was. I think everyone is delighted to have it on DVD. I will get the perfect DVD of a true animated fairy tale. Ever since "Snow White" was a great classic, I wonder I would have to make "Cinderella" a true success. By the way, kudos to Disney for putting "Cinderella" the best Platinum Edition DVD ever since "Snow White".
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

First, and foremost, Disney has apparently done it's job promoting this DVD. I've had five people (who know that I LOVE Disney animated films) tell me that the DVD was out, today, and three of them were going to get it, after they left my store. This is while I was at work. I was sitting there, squirming in my seat, because I was at work, and couldn't get Cinderella until after I got off of work, while my customers were telling me they were headed to get it! So, it proves that people know about this, and are excited!

Second, I got one heck of a deal on it! I went to Best Buy, used the Circuit City price match of $14.99, used a $5.00 Reward Zone Certificate, got the Lithograph (which is VERY nice), and got the points for the purchase on my Reward Zone card. All in all, with tax, I paid $10.84! What a DEAL!

Now, I'm going to finish surfing the net, and I'll finally get to watch it. It will be the first time in almost 20 years that I've seen it.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Hey Luke, the wait was worth it - that was one great review! Like others have said, I congratulate you for telling how you really feel about the movie (and it´s kinda weird that, while all the other sites reviewers are nuts about the film, the one from a Disney site isn´t, hehe). While I enjoy the film a great deal (and I´m sure I´m going to like it even more after watching the restored version), I also agree it isn´t among Disney´s all-time best, and it´s the weakest of the fairytale-based films. Still, it´s a winning little film with charming characters and standout sequences that are a blast to watch, like the visually-stunning "So This is Love" and the Fairy Godmother scenes.

Well, this could be "The Aristocats" and I´d still be counting the hours for it. I mean, do you realise how lucky we are to have such classics presented in such a pristine quality in a format that will last forever? And even if there are a few shameful bonus features*, there are still lots of things that can be enjoyed by the true Disney fans that even the mershandising-driven bonus features can´t spoil (or almost).

*Even though it includes a lot of great bonus features, it´s impossible to forgive Disney for lessening the quality of one of their most awaited releases ever with things such as this ESPN nonsense and the princesses and Disney Channel cr*p. Not even one of their Virtual whatever could be as offensive. :down:
I think lots of cross-promotion for Disney´s waterparks and ocean-related films are to be expected on next year´s "The Little Mermaid" DVD. The good ol´ days of true collector´s edtions are unfortunatelly gone.
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Post by Alan »

Cinderella isn't my favorite disney movie. I saw the movie as a whole ten years ago. I saw cinderella a year ago, but the film never grabbed my interest for the first thirty minutes. However, I grab this film because I might enjoy it better now than a year ago.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

CINDERELLA'S DVD IS DISNEY DUSTER'S!

Post by Disney Duster »

WALT DISNEY'S CINDERELLA IS FINALLY MINE! I preordered the gift set at Suncoast and the regular DVD at the Disney Store, just so I could get that transformation hologram/lithograph thing. Today, I drew sparkles all over the classroom blackboards, in celebration! NOW THEY'RE BOTH MINE! I think I'll watch it on Friday. I can't wait! I'll let you all know about the DVD, and maybe even provide gift set pictures and such. Maybe...
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

For those who have bought the gift set (mine will not arrive until Saturday), could you tell us how it compares to the gift sets of "Aladdin" and "The Lion King"? I´ve noticed they changed the title of the book from "DVD Companion Book" to "Collector´s Book". Does this mean a change in content as well (the books in the other gift sets were good-looking, but light on informative texts)?
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

In addition to the DVD that I'm getting, I have the soundtrack from Disney's "Cinderella". That was on the Disneyland label that has a 1959 copyright on the front and a 1963 copyright on the back of the album. It was on the Disneyland label, and it was the original vinyl. Here is the pic.

The album has 8 songs from the movie, the record is in good condition and it's now a collectable. And then another soundtrack of the same movie on CD featuring 11 cuts instead of 8 (with Oliver Wallace's score added to the album) including a demo recording of "I'm In the Middle of a Muddle" (the one's that you're about to see on DVD). Here is another CD cover of the soundtrack.

See that, I have two versions of the "Cinderella". One is on CD and the other one was from the original Disneyland vinyl. Those two as I said are collectables.
Sendur
Limited Issue

Post by Sendur »

Wooeeee
7 days until it's released in Holland!
Jordan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jordan »

Thanks Luke for the great review!

I got my Cinderella Gift Set, today, I was sooo excited ! lol 8) The box, the book, the sketches, the Senytipe film frame and, of course, the Special Edition DVD, are are wonderful and gorgeous !!

So happy ! :)
Chandler (to Phoebe, over the phone) : Listen, Joey isn't gonna be here tonight so why don't you come over and I'll let you uh.. feel my bicep; or maybe more...
Friends, 5.14 - The One Where Everybody Finds Out
Barty
Limited Issue

Post by Barty »

Disney Duster, pics of the giftset would be great! i can't wait till mine arrives...!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks to all those who offered kind and thoughtful feedback of my review. It obviously took a long time to write and I'm relieved to not find a fiery stake waiting for me because I didn't have too much praise for <i>Cinderella</i>. Like I said in the review, even being one of Disney's lesser classics puts it above the majority of films and there are certainly many things I like about it and the DVD, in spite of the criticisms.

Once again, the offer stands if anyone wants to help me put together a second page of the DVD review for the <i>Cinderella</i> gift set. All it really requires is a few paragraphs of text and some high quality photos. I think I might even extend the offer to those who haven't written for UD before (as I think everyone who has is pretty busy or not getting the Gift Set). If you have the Gift Set and are interested in either taking pictures, writing paragraphs on, or both, e-mail me (do NOT PM) and we'll see if something can come of this interest. Thanks!
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

I'm going to go pick up my gift set later tonight. I called and went to quite a number of stores today but they were all sold out of the gift set. They said they barely recieved any copies of it. I finally located one and they're holding it for me. Hopefully no one will accidentally get a hold of it and buy it on me before I get there.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Lucylover1986 wrote:I'm going to go pick up my gift set later tonight. I called and went to quite a number of stores today but they were all sold out of the gift set. They said they barely recieved any copies of it. I finally located one and they're holding it for me. Hopefully no one will accidentally get a hold of it and buy it on me before I get there.
This is why if I were to buy the Gift Set -- which for <i>Cinderella</i> (and still <i>Aladdin</i>), I'd like to, but am holding off for now -- I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't buy it through Amazon. It's $7.50 less than most stores, free shipping, no tax, and no pricey gas required.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Does anyone's DVD not have a lock case? I forgot to get one without them. :(
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

Guess what, I bought the DVD at Best Buy today!
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Joe Carioca wrote:For those who have bought the gift set (mine will not arrive until Saturday), could you tell us how it compares to the gift sets of "Aladdin" and "The Lion King"? I´ve noticed they changed the title of the book from "DVD Companion Book" to "Collector´s Book". Does this mean a change in content as well (the books in the other gift sets were good-looking, but light on informative texts)?
I found the book to be very infornative. I don't have LK or ALD so I can't compare them. This really is the best Platinum since Snow White.
Last edited by Little Red Henski on Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.