The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

I am probably in the minority here, but I felt that The Little Mermaid was a bad departure from the earlier Disney movies.

Ariel is pretty disobedient, and ends up happy in spite of (or even because of) that disobedience. There really aren't any consequences for disobeying.

Lilo and Stitch is the same way - Lilo is extremely out of control, and doesn't face any consequences for her actions.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

littlefuzzy wrote:Ariel is pretty disobedient, and ends up happy in spite of (or even because of) that disobedience. There really aren't any consequences for disobeying.
Yes, but she does it for love! Disobeying is okay when it's for the greatest thing ever!
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

ichabod wrote:Oh OK, I knew about that, i thought it was perhaps something to do with the content that i had not heard about!
You're thinking of the priest and a little bump of his. Considering you've not seen the movie and that if I post rude stuff I could get banned, I'm not gonna reveal anything. Honestly, some of these urban legends concerning Disney are sick. People who spend their whole lives watching kids films in order to pick out dirty things should get a life, period.
azul017
Special Edition

Post by azul017 »

The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney animated film, and while it can't hold a candle to older classics such as Snow White or Bambi, I have to say I'm biased towards the more modern flicks of Disney's in-house projects.

I have to say TLM was, like many others, the first Disney movie I ever watched. I was entranced by the songs and animation. While the story was simple and predictable, the voice talent, the songs, and the good cheer just elevated it to greatness, along with the sheer imagination of co-directors/writers Ron Clements and John Musker. And most importantly, Alan Menken and Howard Ashman were at the top of their form in the film, and I still enjoy it immensely today.

I'm going to risk getting flamed for this, but the first Ashman/Menken Disney collaboration for TLM was the greatest, because even while Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin indeed feature insanely catchy songs, I have to say I was most impressed by TLM, because the songs fit the narrative extremely well and didn't feel like a Broadway musical. I, like many others, am waiting for the Platinum Edition re-release with anticipation. Hopefully, the schedule will be changed and we'll get TLM in March 2006, rather than October. Still, 2006 is a better prospect than the original October 2008 re-release.
Gwildor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gwildor »

rb_canadian181 wrote:I think when The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast were made, Disney's had it's peak in animation. The quality is brilliant as well as the characters and storyline.

I agree with you! I think those are the 3 best movies from Disney!

They are as good as the old disney classics like Snow White, Cinderella or Bambi, but with contemporary music score, adventure and action!

Brilliant!
They took us to a magical journey under the sea, they show us how a beautiful girl can look into a heart of a beast, they even made us fly on a magic carpet...
Someday the magic will return!
SuicideSeaside
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SuicideSeaside »

The Little Mermaid was great until Ursula turned gigantic. What was up with that?
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

It's called a climax. Ursula's a powerful witch who wanted to be on top of everyone and everything. I think it's some kind of metaphor... :)
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think the ending (with Triton becoming a polyp and Ursula becoming a giant) was supposed to represent how all of Ariel's bad decisions caught up with her. She kept trying to run away from everything she didn't like just to be happy, but had to go back to the sea to face all her consequences. Considering she risked the entire sea kingdom, it would only be fair to make it seem as if the entire sea was against her (you know, with all the waves, the lightning, the trident, etc.). Besides, that was always one of my favorite scenes when I was little. :lol: Ursula in control.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

The Little Mermaid is the film that brought me, and, I am sure, many others, back to Disney.

I remember going to the theatre to see The Little Mermaid with my little sister, and several other friends, and we LOVED this movie. My sister wanted to be Ariel! She wanted to live "Under the Sea". I enjoyed the movie so much, I watched it two more times in the theatre.

When it came out on VHS, my mother bought it for my sister as a Christmas present. We watched that movie so many times, we literally wore out the tape.

After The Little Mermaid, I went on to see every Disney animated movie that came out in the theatre, up through Tarzan.

Although The Little Mermaid became a favorite of mine, it is hard to for me to choose my favorite Disney film. I LOVE a majority of their animated films, perhaps because it brings out the "kid" in me. I love the "Classics" from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lady and the Tramp, all the way up to the newer "Classics" such as The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Tarzan, as well as the Pixar films. So, while it is hard for me to put one as my top favorite Disney film, The Little Mermaid holds a special place as the film that brought me back to Disney. I am very excited about The Little Mermaid Platinum Edition, and hope that Disney will make it a grand affair, as they did with the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Platinum Edition.
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Post by Alan »

rb_canadian181 wrote:I think when The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast were made, Disney's had it's peak in animation. The quality is brilliant as well as the characters and storyline. Now we're stuck with crap like Lilo and Stitch, Treasure Planet and Home on the Range. I wonder if Disney will ever be able to make the REAL disney Gold ever again. I hate that they make sequels like "Return to the sea". they make the original look bad. I mean, compare the animation-BIG DIFFERENCE! The new animation is bland and flat while the animation in the early classics shows depth, colour and quality.
AMEN! The quality and the look of all these new films are so pale and shallow! I just wish they would release Little Mermaid before Lady and the Tramp.
Disney Duster

I LOVE DISNEY'S THE LITTLE MERMAID!!!

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, if your going to make a sequel to a movie it should at least look like the first one. The animation in The Little Mermaid II was so bad at times...

The Little Mermaid is my second favorite Disney movie. Even though it's second to Cinderella in my eyes, I love The Little Mermaid so much because it is so fun, so magical, and so adventurous. It has this imagery that is so nice, it truly is a "fantasy under the sea". The merpeople's tails are so unique, and different from other designs, what with those transparent fins around their waist. Ursula is so unique as well, what with her being half octopus instead of half fish. And Flotsam and Jestson's glowing eyes making it possible for Ursula to see whatever they see! How cool is that idea?! And more creative ideas are used every where, such as making Ariel's voice visible as a ball of light, and the idea of Sebastian trying to get Prince Eric to kiss Ariel in the romantic, dreamy scene in the lagoon! "Kiss the Girl" is such a beautiful sequence. Even though the story parts so much from the original, it has these great, original ideas that only Disney could come up with (such as the witty humor of Scuttle and his "knowledge" of human objects, the addition of Vanessa, and the literally huge climax). I love the movie so much, I can't wait until it's Platinum Edition DVD release!
Gwildor
Gold Classic Collection

Re: I LOVE DISNEY'S THE LITTLE MERMAID!!!

Post by Gwildor »

Disney Duster wrote:Yes, if your going to make a sequel to a movie it should at least look like the first one. The animation in The Little Mermaid II was so bad at times...

The Little Mermaid is my second favorite Disney movie. Even though it's second to Cinderella in my eyes, I love The Little Mermaid so much because it is so fun, so magical, and so adventurous. It has this imagery that is so nice, it truly is a "fantasy under the sea". The merpeople's tails are so unique, and different from other designs, what with those transparent fins around their waist. Ursula is so unique as well, what with her being half octopus instead of half fish. And Flotsam and Jestson's glowing eyes making it possible for Ursula to see whatever they see! How cool is that idea?! And more creative ideas are used every where, such as making Ariel's voice visible as a ball of light, and the idea of Sebastian trying to get Prince Eric to kiss Ariel in the romantic, dreamy scene in the lagoon! "Kiss the Girl" is such a beautiful sequence. Even though the story parts so much from the original, it has these great, original ideas that only Disney could come up with (such as the witty humor of Scuttle and his "knowledge" of human objects, the addition of Vanessa, and the literally huge climax). I love the movie so much, I can't wait until it's Platinum Edition DVD release!
Geez!
I wish I could express myself in english as good as you! But unfortunatly, I can't so I'm glad to say that I agree with everything you just said (but one: The Little Mermaid is my first Favourite Disney Movie! :wink: )
They took us to a magical journey under the sea, they show us how a beautiful girl can look into a heart of a beast, they even made us fly on a magic carpet...
Disney Duster

Re: I LOVE DISNEY'S THE LITTLE MERMAID!!!

Post by Disney Duster »

Gwildor wrote: Geez!
I wish I could express myself in english as good as you! But unfortunatly, I can't so I'm glad to say that I agree with everything you just said (but one: The Little Mermaid is my first Favourite Disney Movie! :wink: )
Thank you very much, Gwildor! I think everyone should try to thank whoever compliments them, so I just wanted to let you know that your compliments are appreciated. The thing with me is that I actually have a hard time putting everything a feel into words on the spot. That's why I like typing, because then I can organize my thoughts and not say a lot of "um"s and "uh"s. :lol:

I think that even if The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast are more popular Disney movies (it's hard to say which one is the most popular), Tthe Little Mermaid seems to actually be a cult film! What I mean by that, of course, is that it's a film that fans get obsessed over and really into. It has it's very own Arielholics! I think it may be the only Disney cult film. The Lion King may have more people loving it, but they're are no Simba or Timon and Puumba addicts...that I know of, anyway. I think more people are obsessed with The Little Mermaid than any other Disney movie. It has it's own "The Little Mermaid Reflections" DVD coming out along with it's Platinum Edition release, and what other Platinum has gotten anything like that? Although we don't even know what it is yet...
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Despite thinking Ursula was scary, I always liked this movie as a child! Now that I see today I think this is one of Disney's best. Even thought it's the weakest of the "fab four" IMO, it still has terrific animation and a very enjoyable story. Plus the characters were all very colorful and almost all of them were likeable! Plus the songs are very good! Ashman and Menken did a great job. I kinda wanted to know why Ursula wanted to keep those merman as weird creatures though. I guess a very stange hobby! :lol:

But overall a very good film! 9/10

P.S. I also agree with the Who Framed Roger Rabbit review(excellent job Wonderlicious) that while yes, The Little Mermaid did save animated movies, but does Ariel deserve ALL of the credit!
Miss Jo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Jo »

I've only seen TLM once in my life, a year ago when I borrowed it from my cousin. I loved it but, since I'm not as familiar with it as I am with the other Fab Four, I count it as my least favourite of that group. But once the Platinum comes out and I've watched it several times, it might beat out Aladdin for third place. I know it can't beat Beauty or TLK, though.
"I don't get high on drugs; I get high on Disney."
Logoliker2004
Limited Issue

Post by Logoliker2004 »

I also have the rare 1990 Black Diamond Classics edition, too!

Back in 1997 when the film was re-released to theaters I didn't bother to see it cause I already had that video then!
eric89
Limited Issue

Post by eric89 »

I talked to a lady at a local video store, and she said that Disney is going to release "The Little Mermaid" within the next year and a half on DVD according to the "Press Release" her store recieved from Disney Home Video. Thought that was awesome!
John 3:17
Gwildor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gwildor »

eric89 wrote:I talked to a lady at a local video store, and she said that Disney is going to release "The Little Mermaid" within the next year and a half on DVD according to the "Press Release" her store recieved from Disney Home Video. Thought that was awesome!
It is supposed to be released in october, it isn't?
brownie
Special Edition

Post by brownie »

I don't think I watched The Little Mermaid many times as a child. I'm not sure why, but I didn't. Anyway, when I got this sudden urge to watch Disney movies last November, TLM was not among the first batch of movies I wanted to see. After I saw all the movies that I reeeally wanted to watch, I rented TLM on dvd around Christmas (and out of boredom! What was wrong with me back then?!), turned off the lights, and watched it on my dad's laptop. That made the movie so incredible for me. Not only was the movie great, but just the whole viewing experience was so cool...so I can see why some of you put off watching the movie for a long time to make the viewing more special. Unfortunately, I am very impatient and watch TLM about once a month. :P
Ting Ting
Anniversary Edition

I'm sure this has been mentioned before...

Post by Ting Ting »

I'm watching my old VHS copy of The Little Mermaid right now (HURRY UP OCTOBER 3RD!).

I just watched the scene where Ariel is on the rock singing and the waves splash all around her, right after she sang to Prince Eric on the shore. In my opinion, that scene is just magical. There's just something about it, it literally gave me chills.

Does anyone else feel this way?