Tarzan on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

Tarzan on Broadway

Post by MovieMusicals.net »

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93800.html

HOORAY! A new Disney Broadway musical!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Interesting. They sure are putting a lot of broadway shows out... not that that's a bad thing. Tarzan wouldn't have been my first (or twentieth) pick for the next show, but I suppose there is potential. I guess this could explain why <i>Tarzan Rocks</i> is leaving the Animal Kingdom. I hope the broadway show isn't a rock 'n roll thing like that show is.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Well DisneyFan2 2000 must be having an excellent day hearing about this! :wink:

Anyway this show sounds interesting, even though I didn't love the Lion King show(yet Lion King is my favorite Disney movie!)

And what ae they replacing Tarzan Rocks with?
thompsoncory

Post by thompsoncory »

Yes! Great news. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and THE LION KING are two of the most spectacular shows ever to grace the stage and I sincerely hope that TARZAN follows suit.
<i>You are allowed one signature image up to 500 pixels in width and 100 pixels in height.</i>
BEAUTY & THE BEAST - The best Disney film ever!
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

I'm really confused as to why Disney wants to make Tarzan a musical. For me, the magic of Tarzan was the fact that the character did NOT sing. The songs just seem to radio friendly to be show tunes on Broadway. I'm not digging this at all. :( Of course, we haven't seen anything yet, so I'm not going to down it...yet. They should have tried their hands at another original musical based on an idea that they haven't been able to work out for the screen.
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
TM2-Megatron
Anniversary Edition

Post by TM2-Megatron »

Prince Eric wrote:I'm really confused as to why Disney wants to make Tarzan a musical.
It's probably just the money, as usual. With the DTV sequel selling well on DVD and the original CE about to be re-released in Region 1, they probably figure it's a good time for a musical too.
SuicideSeaside
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SuicideSeaside »

"Phil Collins, who penned the score for Disney's animated "Tarzan" film, has written several additional songs for the stage version. "

Maybe new songs will be for the characters to sing. A few more songs are developing for The Little Mermaid musical as well.
mila&breeze
Limited Issue

Re: Confirmed for Broadway - TARZAN arrives on stage this Sp

Post by mila&breeze »

MovieMusicals.net wrote:http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93800.html

HOORAY! A new Disney Broadway musical!
i so want to see it!! i luv tarzan!!! "great movie"

saw both aida and the lion king musical
i am tiz a evil experiment but also human
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

well let´s hope it be a good show.
I don´t expect something from it because one of the colest part of the movie was the branch-surfing Tarzanscenes, but I really doubt this will be seen on the Broadway musical
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote:Well DisneyFan2 2000 must be having an excellent day hearing about this! :wink:
In fact I am having a good start to the day! :D Both this and The Little Mermaid really makes me soar with happiness! I don't know when I'll be going to Broadway but I should be visiting London in the near future so I'm hoping to catch those shows there!
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

For those who don't want to look for spoilers regarding the show, don't read the following paragraph.

Well, acording to the book "The Disney Wars", all wise Michael Eisner has decided to change the ending of "Tarzan" for the Broadway show. Why? Because, acording to Michael, the movie didn't earn more than $200 million dolars just because the ending wasn't good enough. So, for the stage version, it is expected (not confirmed) that the ending will be changed, so that Tarzan goes away with Jane to England.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Hi

Post by Disney Guru »

Sounds like it is going to be a great play.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

DisneyFan 2000 wrote:
Timon/Pumba fan wrote:Well DisneyFan2 2000 must be having an excellent day hearing about this! :wink:
In fact I am having a good start to the day! :D Both this and The Little Mermaid really makes me soar with happiness! I don't know when I'll be going to Broadway but I should be visiting London in the near future so I'm hoping to catch those shows there!
Just because the shows are on Broadway doesn't mean that they are in London. Usually, when a show opens on Broadway - IF it goes to London, it takes 1-2 years before the new production will open.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney-Fan »

Joe Carioca wrote:all wise Michael Eisner has decided to change the ending of "Tarzan" for the Broadway show. Why? Because, acording to Michael, the movie didn't earn more than $200 million dolars just because the ending wasn't good enough.
That's a laugh! I'd love to hear his explination for Home on the Range. :lol: Wait.... Never mind. I remembered, something about 2D being dead.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
MovieMusicals.net wrote:Just because the shows are on Broadway doesn't mean that they are in London. Usually, when a show opens on Broadway - IF it goes to London, it takes 1-2 years before the new production will open
Yeah, I forgot to say *if* they make it to London. If these shows follow the success of Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King I shouldn't have anything to worry about. :D
SuicideSeaside
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SuicideSeaside »

Joe Carioca wrote:For those who don't want to look for spoilers regarding the show, don't read the following paragraph.

Well, acording to the book "The Disney Wars", all wise Michael Eisner has decided to change the ending of "Tarzan" for the Broadway show. Why? Because, acording to Michael, the movie didn't earn more than $200 million dolars just because the ending wasn't good enough. So, for the stage version, it is expected (not confirmed) that the ending will be changed, so that Tarzan goes away with Jane to England.
Really? hmm. That's interesting. I never watched Tarzan so I don't know how it ends. I'll be offended if I wrote and story and the ending was changed.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Joe Carioca wrote:For those who don't want to look for spoilers regarding the show, don't read the following paragraph.

That? is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard that man say. The movie made $171 million freaking dollars, making it Disney's biggest animated hit since The Lion King, and he STILL wasn't satisfied? Then he goes and blames the film's "lack of success" on the ending? Nobody wanted Tarzan to go to England. We ALL wanted Jane to stay with Tarzan (all of us except old Mikey, that is). . If Eisner opposed the ending so much, why didn't he do anything about it during the film's production? :roll:
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

thats to bad with Tarzan Rocks!. but that new show sounds great! also it an other reseon for that upcoming 2-disc!
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

Did I miss it? What is replacing Tarzan Rocks! ?
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney-Fan »

MovieMusicals.net wrote:Did I miss it? What is replacing Tarzan Rocks! ?
A rumored Nemo show... :roll: Horrid concept, considering its place in DinoLand USA.
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

Blah. I'd rather see a MONSTERS, INC. show.

But I supposed it's ANIMAL KINGDOM, so... THE JUNGLE BOOK?