Star Wars Trilogy on DVD - 2004?

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Star Wars Trilogy on DVD - 2004?

Post by Jack »

From TheDigitalBits:

"You know, it seems like we go through this about once a year. But, at the risk of inducing lots of eye rolling out there, here we go again. We've heard from a number of industry sources we trust (and who have proven their reliability in the past) in the last few weeks. They're reporting that Lucasfilm is seriously considering releasing the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD late next year. In fact, our information indicates that some work is already under way toward a 4th Qtr, 2004 release. Word is that Lucasfilm is pleased with the format of The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD Movie Collection they're releasing on 10/21 in conjunction with Paramount - so pleased, in fact, that they're planning to use the same format to release the classic Star Wars films. This would presumably mean a 4-disc set, with a disc for each film and a fourth disc of special edition materials for all three films. It would certainly make sense. First, it would be a great way to get a buzz going into early 2005, when the final film, Episode III, is set to arrive in theaters. Also, Lucasfilm has said in the past that there aren't a lot of behind-the-scenes materials available for the original films, so having a single bonus disc of extras (as opposed to three) would make life easier for them."

Hmm . . . its hard for me to say wether I believe this or not. When I first heard about Indy in 2003, I said no way, but it ended up happening. Anxious to see what happens.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Lucas is such a liar! of couse he has alot of behind the scenes in star wars films to make each disc a 2 disc set! i'm sure 20th Century Fox has some material or are willing to make new commentaries and interviews and stuff! so their's no way around it!
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

I'll only believe it when I have it in my hands with a receipt as I stand in front of my DVD player contemplating which disc to watch first. Oh, and I'll need to have a box of Raisinets there, too.
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

I've also heard they will wait until all 6 are out to release a box.

But why wait when he can just as easily release 3 or 4 box sets?
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I would be happy if they just released the Ultimate Laserdisc Box Set version of it on DVD. That would give us optimized versions of each original film plus some extras. Other extras they could include are:

Screen tests
Trailers
The R2-D2 & C3P0 anti smoking commercial
Toy Commercials
Deleted Scenes
Bloopers
Still frame galleries:
Publicity Photos
Behind the Scenes Photos
Magazine covers and comic book covers
Movie poster and publicity

The Star Wars Holiday Special (with commentary)
SW Holiday Special Documentary and what went wrong!
The "Lost Cut" of Star Wars with 40% different footage
The 3 Special Effects Documentaries:
The Making of Star Wars
SPFX: The Empire Strikes Back
Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi

Also the 2 hour ABC documentary
Some fun fan extras could include an interactive guide to the characters and background characters and where to spot them in the movie. Guides to the spaceships, vehicles, weapons, etc.

So, this could be released as almost a time capsule version, while the Ultimate Versions of the film would still be released after Episode III and they would be numbered on the spines like Episodes I and II are. Then everyone would be mostly happy!
Last edited by Maerj on Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matty-Mouse
Special Edition

Post by Matty-Mouse »

Well providing the original cuts of the movies are included I'll be happy.
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?

Well thats actually low in fat so you can eat as much of that as you like.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:Lucas is such a liar! of couse he has alot of behind the scenes in star wars films to make each disc a 2 disc set! i'm sure 20th Century Fox has some material or are willing to make new commentaries and interviews and stuff! so their's no way around it!
I'm not saying you're not right about the ammount of content available. However, 20th Century Fox has nothing to do with the Star Wars DVDs. All of that is handled by Lucasfilm. 20th Century Fox just distributes, simmilar to how Disney animators never animate parts of a Pixar movie.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Another interesting thing is that this rumor has been spreading rapidly, and Lucasfilm hasn't debunked it - something they are usually very quick to do. The guy who wrote this article at TDB even asked a Lucasfilm representitve about it and he didn't say yes or no. Hmm . . .
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Jack wrote:Another interesting thing is that this rumor has been spreading rapidly, and Lucasfilm hasn't debunked it - something they are usually very quick to do. The guy who wrote this article at TDB even asked a Lucasfilm representitve about it and he didn't say yes or no. Hmm . . .
::begins to hyperventilate!:::

P.S. Jack, in your pictyres I saw Jurassic Park gate. Can you tell me where you got that at? Is it from the toy playset or elsewhere?
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

I think it is a bad idea to release the films next year. I think they should go with their original plan and release in 2006, or late late 2005 once the original , or first trilogy, the newest one, Episodes 1-3 are released...

We need consisitancy people, and of course there is enough material for each to get a 2 discer, unless they burned everything when the first ones hit theatres... :roll:

Besides if they release all versions of each film: original, special, and then special special, there seems to me to be enough for 2 disc sets...

But maybe that's their plan, get us to buy an ok set in 2004 and then release a killer set in 2006, forcing fans to dubble dip... hmmmm... :wink:
Defy Gravity
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Well, what I am saying is release the original versions next year, that's what the Ultimate Laserdisc Box Set version was. Then after Episode III they can release the final versions of the films and skip the Special Editions, since most of that will be in the final editions.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Prince Phillip: I definetely don't think they should wait till after Ep3. If so, it would take another 3 years, and the demand is so high for them right now. The sooner the better. If that means they'll release yet another set later on, so be it - only the die-hard fans will be double dipping, and I think they would do it nomatter what point in time the sets are released.

Maerj: About the JP gate, that is from a JP3 playset I got. It contained the gate, several peices of fence, a raptor, and a Grant action figure. I got it mainly because I thought the gate would look cool on display, but I used to take it outside and play with it when I was younger too. :)
BasilOfBakerStreet427
In The Vaults

Post by BasilOfBakerStreet427 »

I like the 2004 Star Wars Trilogy plan,but here's what I think they should do.

7 Discs(2 on each movie,plus bonus disc
Dolby Digital EX,DTS,and Dolby mixes
Theatrical and Special Edition cuts
Over 30 hrs. of special features,including rare specials
Mail-in rebate for Ewok movies for free(mail order only)
Free ticket to Episode III:Rise of The Empires

There's my ultimate Star Wars Trilogy set.

G'Day!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

A Star Wars Trilogy release with less than 2 discs for each movie would just be such a load of crap, after waiting 6 years+. If ANY movies have lots of content, it's these. Heck, I have old VHS tapes from the early '80s with making-of content, specials released on VHS...plus all the stuff that you know "required more time" than as a side-project to making the prequels would allow.