The New UK Dumbo question! I know you have it BonusMage!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

The New UK Dumbo question! I know you have it BonusMage!

Post by ichabod »

Ok I know Bonus Mage at least has it, so what I want to know is, does it have the audio commentary and Walt's introductions?
BonusMage
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BonusMage »

Ok, I've checked and searched the DVD, there isn't a commentary and after watching a few shorts and the beginning of the 'Celebrating Dumbo' Documentary, there hasn't been any Walt Introductions.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I though as much, in that case the retailers have incorrect information on their sites from the incorrect press release that was issued. Also this "new" DVD is identical in terms of content to the last Dumbo DVD.

In that case I'll be ordering the R1.
BonusMage
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BonusMage »

I've emailed Disney about it, hoping for reply soon.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Let's wait untill Disney comes out with a REAL special edition
Iago
Limited Issue

Post by Iago »

Hows the video and audio quality, and the menu/packaging design compared to the old release?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I've just thought! Does the new Dumbo DVD still have the Dumbo II sneak peek?
DLRP Magic!

Post by DLRP Magic! »

ichabod wrote:I've just thought! Does the new Dumbo DVD still have the Dumbo II sneak peek?
No. The sneak peeks are for Bambi and The Incredibles, among others which I've forgotten... 8)
Iago wrote:Hows the video and audio quality, and the menu/packaging design compared to the old release?
Video and audio aren't too bad. I didn't have the previous release so I can't compare, but I doubt they've changed it.

The menus are pretty basic-looking. The main menu has a cheap-looking 2D Dumbo flying around outside a CGI circus environment, with the options in the circus-style font. You can tell they haven't updated it at all because they still have a "sneak peeks" menu option which UK Disney DVDs never have anymore.

Packaging is just like your normal average Disney DVD. The only insert is the same Disney DVD leaflet that was in the Bambi DVD.

So overall it's probably worse than the old release since that one would have had a chapter insert, wouldn't it? :roll: Unless you're a huge fan of those blue "G" ratings, of course... :wink:
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Meh, I'm in no hurry. I'll just be getting a better edition some other time.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
marlan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by marlan »

DLRP Magic! wrote: Video and audio aren't too bad. I didn't have the previous release so I can't compare, but I doubt they've changed it.
Is the transfer still framed too tightly? See these frames where (in my opinion) one should see more of the feet of the pink elephants... If your TV set has some overscan, you lose even more of the picture.

These screen captures come from the PAL version (R2). If the new version is framed more appropriately, I'll buy it right away! :)

EDIT: Also the bit transfer rate seems low:

Last edited by marlan on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

The new DVD is identical to the last, it has not received a new restoration and is the same transfer. I think we will have to wait for a new edition of the DVD, a 2 disc SE should hopefully be on the horizon, I doubt we will see a better transfer until then!
Andy
Special Edition

Post by Andy »

Then if theres no difference? Why was it re-released again? :?
hiiiii
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

*Andy* wrote:Then if theres no difference? Why was it re-released again? :?
Dumbo went out of print along with Alice in Wonderland and Mary Poppins in 2003. As those films got a re-release, I think Dumbo may have been on the boards for a better edition, so it went out of print then. However, the golden company that is BVHE UK had little time for making better releases, even though they could have added extra bonus that other countries had already recieved. So, we just get a re-release of an already inferior disc. :angry:
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Wonderlicious wrote:Dumbo went out of print along with Alice in Wonderland and Mary Poppins in 2003. As those films got a re-release, I think Dumbo may have been on the boards for a better edition, so it went out of print then. However, the golden company that is BVHE UK had little time for making better releases, even though they could have added extra bonus that other countries had already recieved. So, we just get a re-release of an already inferior disc. :angry:
To be honest, I believe there may have been a genuine slip up with the Dumbo rerelease. It's hard to believe I know, but the original press release issued in February listed the audio commentary, galleries and Walt's TV introductions. If you notice most online retailers are still listing these features! But a the 11th hour a replacement press release was sent out! This omitted the added stuff and was a list of what was on the actual new release.

Could they have intended to add these features and accidentally used the master for the old disc or something along those lines? It's hard to believe I know, but it wouldn't be the first BVHE UK cock up! :roll:
BonusMage
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BonusMage »

ichabod wrote:To be honest, I believe there may have been a genuine slip up with the Dumbo rerelease.
Didn't I post my reply from Disney?? :? :oops:
I emailed them about the missing things and how they are listed on their site and press release.

I am so sorry we were unaware of this error on the site. This will now be rectified. Unfortunately these two items were dropped prior to the release but the print work had already gone on the site. The wrap was made later and therefore has the correct bonus listing on it.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

BonusMage wrote: Didn't I post my reply from Disney?? :? :oops:
I emailed them about the missing things and how they are listed on their site and press release.
You actually got a reply from BVHE UK?! :o
Sorry, but I need to know the exact e-mail you adressed them. I really need to know.
BonusMage
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BonusMage »

Wonderlicious wrote:You actually got a reply from BVHE UK?! :o
Sorry, but I need to know the exact e-mail you adressed them. I really need to know.
Er... it might not of been directly from BVHE, I just emailed [email protected]
marlan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by marlan »

Today, I went to the Finnish Film Archive to see Dumbo that was screened there. It was a fairly good print, probably from a theatrical re-release from the early 1980s, with English audio and Finnish & Swedish subtitles. Colours were slightly faded.

I wanted to see how the movie is framed when it is shown in a movie theatre, and compare it with my very own eyes to the screenshots I posted last April (above) from the Scandinavian DVD (R2).

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

I really have to say that it was an altogether different movie experience compared to the DVD version! Every frame on the DVD is missing about 1/5 of the image because it is zoomed in too much. The framing of those 2 screen captures above was different (wider) and the Pink Elephants' Dance was not ruined, to say the least, in theatre. (Of course, the projectionist is a professional.)

I do hope that a new, appropriately framed release of Dumbo will be prepared a.s.a.p. I simply don't want to own the present version.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Don't ask me how I found this, and if you do ask I won't tell you anyway!

Let's just say it's miraculous what people do when they're bored.

For all the owners of the Dumbo UK 2005 release DVD.

Go to the bonus features menu

select the Celebrating Dumbo featurette

When it's playing if you have the ability to change the title number via your remote control (probably by bringing up the menu) change the 7 to 22.

If you do you'll find something that isn't listed on the back of the box, and isn't accesible from any menu screen.

Don't get too excited though! ;)

I
waltmad
Gold Classic Collection
Location: In this world, but not of it. On my way upward to my eternal home

Post by waltmad »

firstly, how did you find it, i HAD to ask as it was forbidden, secondly, let me be the 1st to not have that years copy & ask, WHAT IS IT. :)
They've found it, they've found Noah's ark, & other stuff!
http://www.arkdiscovery.com/DVD-RGT.htm
http://www.wyattmuseum.com/noahsark.htm