Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Porce
Gold Classic Collection

Mary Poppins Returns

Post by Porce »

Ugh...

Queen Latifah? Click if you dare...

http://www.animationshow.com/forums/ind ... 1753c2a338
The user formerly known as Dacp
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

I can't bring myself to do it :( :x
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

i dont like remakes of older films. but eventually it will come so i don't think queen latifah is that bad, i like her and yes she's black so what? Mary poppins doesnt have to be white! :D
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Ah, another movie I don't need to see...
Uncle Remus
Anniversary Edition

Post by Uncle Remus »

well this is really great. Disney is making a remake of a classic film that was nominated for the Best Picture. and you know what? maybe Disney will make a remake of Song of the South and Bernie Mac will be Uncle Remus in the movie :lol:
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Maerj wrote:Ah, another movie I don't need to see...
Amen. When this one comes out I'll just stay at home with the SE DVD of the original which is due next year.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Choco Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Choco Bear »

:cry:
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

NO WAY!!! How in the world can they do this? I mean, I guess it's good because we get Mary Poppins Special Edition, but I HATE remakes, as I've said before. I guess the Parent Trap and Freaky Friday remakes got us the DVDs, also...

:(
Sethp
Limited Issue

Post by Sethp »

Things over att Disney are getting better all the time.. :roll: :(
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

"Things over att Disney are getting better all the time.. :roll: :( "

:lol: I know, I agree! :roll:
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Captain Hook wrote:NO WAY!!! How in the world can they do this? I mean, I guess it's good because we get Mary Poppins Special Edition, but I HATE remakes, as I've said before. I guess the Parent Trap and Freaky Friday remakes got us the DVDs, also...

:(
Parent Trap no, Freaky Friday yes. The Parent Trap remake's DVD came out YEARS before the original hit DVD, whereas with Freaky Friday the original will be released in a special edition similar to Vault Disney collection in order to promote the remake's DVD. And you should still see the Parent Trap remake. :P

As for the Mary Poppins remake, I'm mixed on this. This could actually be decent if it's a SPOOF of the original Mary Poppins, but if Disney is making a serious remake then this going to bomb and bomb hard. I guess Chicago and Bringin' Down the House weren't enough for their Latifah fix.
Choco Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Choco Bear »

Disneykid wrote:As for the Mary Poppins remake, I'm mixed on this. This could actually be decent if it's a SPOOF of the original Mary Poppins, but if Disney is making a serious remake then this going to bomb and bomb hard. I guess Chicago and Bringin' Down the House weren't enough for their Latifah fix.
u can never get enuf of LATIFAH :D i gots to have me my fix of coco godess :lol:
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Choco Bear wrote:
Disneykid wrote:As for the Mary Poppins remake, I'm mixed on this. This could actually be decent if it's a SPOOF of the original Mary Poppins, but if Disney is making a serious remake then this going to bomb and bomb hard. I guess Chicago and Bringin' Down the House weren't enough for their Latifah fix.
u can never get enuf of LATIFAH :D i gots to have me my fix of coco godess :lol:
i hear you choco, she got me all twisted up in the game :lol: :lol:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I think there's a problem with consistancy here. How many people on this forum have said how much they enjoyed the REMAKE of Freaky Friday?

I don't see why a remake of Mary Poppins should automatically be dismissed before anybody knows anything about it?

By all means critisise away if/when you have seen the film, but please show a little more restraint until you can make a valid critisism. No film deserves to be critisised blindly

We know very little about this film - based on the casting I would say that this is more likely to be one of those 'reimaginings' rather than a remake. I doubt for instance that it will be set in London. Do we even know for example that it will include all the famous Mary Poppins songs?

Plus, I know for a fact Disney are joining with Cameron McIntosh to create a Mary Poppins stage production. Could this rumour infact be based around a stage production? Regardless, I can't remember anyone complaining about the news that Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King were going to be mounted as stage productions when each of those were announced.

As I pointed out in another post Chicago is a film of a musical of a film of a film [*] And yet that won best picture. I don't hear anyone critisising that!

If the new Mary Poppins film is made and the film stinks then by all means complain and critisise. But give the film a fair chance and stop prejuding!

[*] Chicago (2002), Chicago - Broadway (1975), Roxy Hart (1942), Chicago (1927)
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Eh...
I do generally dislike remakes (in the sense that it has been made once, no need to remake it). If it was a good movie, there is no need, and if it was a bad movie, god knows why you would even bother...

Similar to my sentiments on sequels, I don't think remakes do anything to "ruin" the original - it will still be there for us to enjoy. We already have one copy of MP on DVD, and rumour has it we will see another next year. So a remake will change nothing.

Anyways, as 2099 says, we have so little info on this now - I will reserve judgment until we hear more (or even more boldy, I'll wait until I see it until I judge it! Shock! Horror! :D)
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

I have mixed feelings. I'd rather see an actual remake (taking place in early 1900's London), but than an African-American nanny would not be all that historically-accurate. And I really don't want to see a modern-retelling, with the songs done in bland covers to connect with today's audiences.
Defy Gravity...
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

Disneykid wrote:Parent Trap no, Freaky Friday yes. The Parent Trap remake's DVD came out YEARS before the original hit DVD, whereas with Freaky Friday the original will be released in a special edition similar to Vault Disney collection in order to promote the remake's DVD. And you should still see the Parent Trap remake. :P

As for the Mary Poppins remake, I'm mixed on this. This could actually be decent if it's a SPOOF of the original Mary Poppins, but if Disney is making a serious remake then this going to bomb and bomb hard. I guess Chicago and Bringin' Down the House weren't enough for their Latifah fix.
Oh... I still haven't gotten the original Parent Trap, isn't that dumb? Oh well. Perhaps a Mary Poppins could be good, but I'm still a little worried. Why not get Julie Andrews again? :lol:

So, is Lindsey Lohan really that good of an actress to pull off two of my favorite movies in remakes?
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Although I have yet to see Freaky Friday, I've heard from many critics that Lindsey's performance is very convincing as the mother in the child's body, and based on the clips I've seen, I think it's true.

As for Parent Trap, yes, yes, yes! I felt Lindsey was better in both roles than Hayley was, and that's saying something because I love Hayley Mills. The Parent Trap remake overall is more sophisticated than the original and less campy. You really should see it. :D
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Disneykid wrote:As for Parent Trap, yes, yes, yes! I felt Lindsey was better in both roles than Hayley was, and that's saying something because I love Hayley Mills. The Parent Trap remake overall is more sophisticated than the original and less campy. You really should see it. :D
Hey! I like Camp.

After three...

Let’s get together, yeah yeah yeah
Why don’t you and I combi-ine
Let’s get together, what do you say
We can have a swingin’ ti-ime
We’d be a cra-a-azy team
Why don’t we ma-a-ake a scene
Together, oh oh oh oh

:lol:
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

Oh very well, I'll see them both. Later, though... I still need to see Black Cauldron. 8)

Hook