Disney Theme Parks Loosen Employee Beard Ban

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Disney Theme Parks Loosen Employee Beard Ban

Post by milojthatch »

When Walt Disney opened his first theme park in Burbank, California in 1955, he wanted to distinguish it from the tawdry amusement parks that had sprung up after the Great Depression. "The Happiest Place on Earth" was to be wholesome and clean cut, and so were its employees. The notoriously strict dress code for employees, who are known as "cast members," included the rule that men must be clean-shaven.

Related link: If Disney Princesses Were Real

In the biggest shake up since 2010 when Disney decreed that female cast members could ditch their pantyhose and go bare legged when they were wearing a skirt, male cast members will soon be permitted to sport beards. According to a report in the Los Angeles Times, as of February 3, goatees and beards will be allowed as long as they are shorter than a quarter of an inch. Mustaches have been permitted since 2000, when an employee reportedly pointed out that Uncle Walt himself wore one.

"Disney Look guidelines are periodically reviewed in relation to industry standards, as well as the unique environment of our theme parks and resorts," a Disneyland Resorts spokeswoman said in a statement, according to the Times. "While we are careful to maintain our heritage and the integrity of our brand, a recent review of our guidelines led to a decision that an update was appropriate at this time."

To keep cast members from fully unleashing their inner hipster, soul patches will not be allowed nor will body piercings or tattoos. Magical Kingdom guests also have a dress code: in the 1960s, male visitors to the parks were not allowed to have long hair. Today, it is g-strings, offensive t-shirts, items that are made of transparent or shredded fabric, and "clothing that can be viewed as a costume" (adults only, if you are under ten, go crazy).
http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/disne ... 00299.html
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Does that mean they'll allow the actors playing Jack Sparrow to have real beards/goatees? Seems stupid that they have to stay shaved and wear an obviously fake one. :p
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

This thread belongs to the Disney Theme Parks section. :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Sotiris wrote:This thread belongs to the Disney Theme Parks section. :wink:
There is a Theme Park section? I'm being very serious, all the years I've been posting here, I never knew such a section existed! I'm sure the Admin will move it in time, sorry.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

Re: Disney Theme Parks Loosen Employee Beard Ban

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney updates park dress code on hair and jewelry, allows workers to uncover tattoos
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/13/disney- ... -goal.html

This is HUUUUUGE!!! I am pretty sure when I had my interview at WDW almost 2 decades ago that I had to lift my shirt up to show my lower back tattoos, to show that they couldn't be seen/that they were covered. And when I worked there, if I forgot to take some earrings out, often a manager would let me know, which was no big deal. As I got older, I got more tattoos (very much a part of my depression back then), so working for Disney again was not a possibility. Depending on the new rules, I think a lot of potential cast members will be hirable that were not due to the piercings/tattoos rules.

And very, very nice that people can dress gender-neutrally, in costumes that they can feel more comfortable in. While some areas already have gender-neutral clothing, like the Tomorrowland costume I used to wear, there definitely are gendered costumes (like the yellow ice cream/candy cast member dresses). And I had seen the Incredibles wheelchair-accessible costume before, and I am so here for costumes like that.

Yay, Disney! Welcome to 2021!!
blackcauldron85

More info on what is allowed for the new Disney Look (it doesn't seem that my tattoos are small enough)...
https://wdwnt.com/?p=446010
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I don't approve. This goes against Walt's family friendly code.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

I wonder if my seven dwarfs tattoo would be rejected or approved? :lol:
big kid at heart
blackcauldron85

If it's smaller than your hand I think it's okay
... But I don't know if you're only allowed one tattoo or if you can have a bunch, as long as they're the size of your hand or smaller.

I love that you have a 7 dwarfs tattoo! I recently got my 2nd Black Cauldron tattoo and am getting an Oliver and Company one soon (and then I can't get any for a while since I don't have more $ to spend!).
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

sorted 247 (Small).jpg
sorted 247 (Small).jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
I think its a bit bigger than my hand. I would love to see yours.

I would like more ink, but the finances have said otherwise for about 10 years now...
big kid at heart
blackcauldron85

THAT IS TOO CUTE! yes, I am yelling - I love that! I hear you on the finances - I just started getting them again after 6 years (when I started paying student loans; when they announced the last extension I figured it's now or never to get some more).

Here's a link to just a few of mine (that are easy enough to take pics of: Toy Story 3 Barbie + Ken, Aladdin + Jasmine, Tod + Copper, Ariel + Flounder, & Eilonwy, Hen Wen, + Gurgi):
https://imgur.com/a/M3jyQIe
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

Those are lovely! I really love your Black Cauldron, and Tod and Copper.
big kid at heart
blackcauldron85

Thank you! <3