Disney World Axing the Traditional Fastpass System?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney World Axing the Traditional Fastpass System?

Post by Nala »

RyGuy wrote:I'm probably in the minority, but I like the new system.

I grew up going to Disneyland all the time. When they introduced FastPass there, it seemed like the lines just got longer and longer for everything. Prior to FastPass, on a very busy summer day, you might wait 50 minutes for Splash Mountain. The only time it was longer than that might be the week before and after Christmas. I was even there on the official opening day for Splash Mountain and the line was no more than an hour.

However, once they rolled out FastPass, the lines got longer all the way around. Last year, I took my son to Disneyland in May. It was a slow day, and we waited probably 70-80 minutes for Splash Mountain because they kept closing the line to let all the FastPassers through.

Sure, FastPass is great when you have one, but it sucks when you have to use stand by.

Time will tell whether these limits will smooth things out a bit. But when I was at WDW a few weeks ago, the standby lines were all pretty light (15-20 minutes) except for Soarin, Peter Pan and Toy Story Midway Mania (all of which we FastPassed).
You're not alone. We're at WDW right now and the cast members say that the people like it. Once you use all your FastPass+ 3 original you can go back and get more if available one at a time. I actually really like it.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Tangled wrote:
Walter wrote:So has anyone used the new Fastpass system in the Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios? How was it in those parks so far?
Magic Kingdom here. We reserved our Fastpasses at a kiosk in Tomorrowland, where a Cast Member quickly explained the system and suggested rides and times. Went on Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean (there is no tier system in place in Magic Kingdom, or at least when I went) with the system. Haunted Mansion was the earliest ride, and by far the longest wait. When we got there around 3-ish, the Fastpass line was mobbed with entire tour groups who had just arrived at the ride before we did and had no clue how to use the system. The line in front of the turnsiles where you scan your ticket/Magicband ended in the middle of Liberty Square, sparking complaints from people who were just walking by the ride. That's what the biggest problem with this system is, I believe. People don't understand how to use it without being briefed by a Cast Member or researching before getting into the park. Heck, even I'm still somewhat confused by it, and I'm a Disney fan who tries to update herself on these things. There was at least one group who wandered into the line without a Fastpass reservation (probably assuming that the longer looking line was the one to join) and that held us back. Thankfully, the bottleneck was smoothed out professionally by efficient and calm Cast Members, and once we got through "the pre-line line" after about 10 minutes of waiting the entire Fastpass line was swallowed at once into the stretch room pre-show area ahead of the normal line. The normal line hardly seemed to move during those 10 minutes in favor of sorting out Fastpass users, from what I could tell.

POTC and Space Mountain went on without a hitch, probably due to our later reservation times (around dinnertime for Pirates and just before Wishes for Space Mountain). We walked through the lines and were seated immediately.

Overall, the biggest con of Fastpass+ is it's efficiency during peak times, which will probably improve once Cast Members and guests become more used to the system. A huge con for those who are not relying on the Fastpass+ system seems to be longer wait times, since Fastpass+ guests are a huge priority. Expect to wait for an entire line of Fastpass+ guests to be let on a ride at a much faster and higher rate than the normal line guests, but that shouldn't be a surprise. The original Fastpass had that problem too on it's more popular rides. Now, there's just more rides on the system, and less Fastpasses are allowed. Fastpass lines should usually be shorter now, which I guess is a big pro for both people in the Fastpass and normal lines.
There's still no tier system at Magic Kingdom as we were there yesterday. The latest one we got was at Princess Fairytale Hall. We got Rapunzel and Cinderella but couldn't get Anna & Elsa.
Last edited by Nala on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Nala wrote:
RyGuy wrote:I'm probably in the minority, but I like the new system.

I grew up going to Disneyland all the time. When they introduced FastPass there, it seemed like the lines just got longer and longer for everything. Prior to FastPass, on a very busy summer day, you might wait 50 minutes for Splash Mountain. The only time it was longer than that might be the week before and after Christmas. I was even there on the official opening day for Splash Mountain and the line was no more than an hour.

However, once they rolled out FastPass, the lines got longer all the way around. Last year, I took my son to Disneyland in May. It was a slow day, and we waited probably 70-80 minutes for Splash Mountain because they kept closing the line to let all the FastPassers through.

Sure, FastPass is great when you have one, but it sucks when you have to use stand by.

Time will tell whether these limits will smooth things out a bit. But when I was at WDW a few weeks ago, the standby lines were all pretty light (15-20 minutes) except for Soarin, Peter Pan and Toy Story Midway Mania (all of which we FastPassed).
You're not alone. We're at WDW right now and the cast members say that the people like it. Once you use all your FastPass+ 3 original you can go back and get more if available one at a time. I actually really like it.

Provided you want to do all three you are originally given. There were times my only options for attractions I got them for included attractions I didn't want to go on.
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

The_Iceflash wrote:
Nala wrote:You're not alone. We're at WDW right now and the cast members say that the people like it. Once you use all your FastPass+ 3 original you can go back and get more if available one at a time. I actually really like it.

Provided you want to do all three you are originally given. There were times my only options for attractions I got them for included attractions I didn't want to go on.
It's the ones we wanted to go on.

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm probably going to Epcot in a few days; is the old FastPass system not in place? For people just going for the day, is there no way to get FastPasses anymore, or can you go online prior to the trip and sign up (or you'd have to have bought your tickets already..)? (I was planning on just getting tickets when we got to the park).
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

If you're just going to one park for the day or haven't set up any FP+'s, there are a couple of kiosks with cast members who will help you set them up. I think you should still be able to set them up online if you buy them then, as well.
blackcauldron85

Awesome- thank you!!!
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Avaitor wrote:If you're just going to one park for the day or haven't set up any FP+'s, there are a couple of kiosks with cast members who will help you set them up. I think you should still be able to set them up online if you buy them then, as well.
If you want to get Soarin', you can get them on the day you get there as we did.

Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

I really had a lucky day yesterday as I was able to get a FastPass+ for Seven Dwarfs mine on the day we went. The ride is awesome.

blackcauldron85

Nala wrote:
Avaitor wrote:If you're just going to one park for the day or haven't set up any FP+'s, there are a couple of kiosks with cast members who will help you set them up. I think you should still be able to set them up online if you buy them then, as well.
If you want to get Soarin', you can get them on the day you get there as we did.
We will absolutely want one for Soarin'! So, at these special kiosks (any idea where they're located?), we can get all our FPs?
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

They'll tell you where the nearest kiosk is when you buy your ticket. IIRC, it's near the halfway point for the Innoventions sections.
blackcauldron85

Great! Thank you again!!
blackcauldron85

So, we found the FP kiosks, and a cast member helped us out with the machine. We had chosen Test Track, Mission: Space, and Maelstrom, but then as the cast member showed us Options A, B, and C for return times... He said to take a photo of the end screen with our final choices, so we did, but we did to pay attention to what it said; we ended up with Nemo instead of Maelstrom. It ended up not being a huge deal, as Maelstrom's line was shorter at night, but I wonder what happened in the computer to switch the attractions like that.
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

blackcauldron85 wrote:So, we found the FP kiosks, and a cast member helped us out with the machine. We had chosen Test Track, Mission: Space, and Maelstrom, but then as the cast member showed us Options A, B, and C for return times... He said to take a photo of the end screen with our final choices, so we did, but we did to pay attention to what it said; we ended up with Nemo instead of Maelstrom. It ended up not being a huge deal, as Maelstrom's line was shorter at night, but I wonder what happened in the computer to switch the attractions like that.
it has to do with availability at those times. We were at Epcot today and wanted to do Nemo, Soarin' and Maelstrom. If we had kept those choices, we would have ha to do Soarin' at around 8:00pm so when we chose Journey into Imagination with Figment, the times were earlier. We ended up getting Captain EO after we had used our 3 fastpasses.

blackcauldron85

So if the cast member selected Option B, for example, it doesn't keep your 3 choices...? Like I said, it wasn't a huge deal in the end, but we were curious. Thanks, Nala! :)
blackcauldron85

On-Ride Photos Automatically Load On Magic Bands Starting Today
http://laughingplace.com/w/news/2014/10 ... ing-today/
blackcauldron85

Shanghai Disneyland Now Offers Paid FastPass Options
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... s-options/

Disneyland to Introduce Upcharge FastPass Option Called MaxPass; Also Adds Two FP Attractions
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... tractions/
blackcauldron85

Effective today, Disney is enforcing FastPass+ usage terms and conditions
http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicpl ... itions.htm

Disney Fans React to the FastPass+ Changes Taking Effect Today
http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-worl ... ect-today/

We have just our legit annual passes; my husband just went on the app, and it said something about having to link our tickets, but then he clicked elsewhere in the app, and it said our tickets were already claimed. We have to call WDW...our passes are in a blackout period right now, so maybe that's why?
blackcauldron85

Changes Coming to Disneyland FastPass System Starting June 21
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... g-june-21/
blackcauldron85

Disney Sued Over Alleged Patent Infringement for Genie and Genie+ Technologies
https://wdwnt.com/?p=825725