What's New at Walt Disney World?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: What's New at Walt Disney World?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The guy in the black mask in the gift shop- his look of panic!! Right now I'm dealing with symptoms and went to get tested yesterday- my rapid test was negative but it's only 50% accurate, so I took the other test. Until you 100% know you're in the clear, don't go out! Even then you could have it and have no symptoms.

Was she in the Park already when she started having symptoms? Was she tested for COVID? First Aid is fine with her wandering the Park? And why stream this- you KNOW you'll be getting COVID comments.

People going to churches are getting COVID, people going to theme parks surely will. Aren't we all waiting for those reports to come through? For the cast members, are they off of unemployment? If the Parks close again if a lot of people get sick, these people will have to go through the FL unemployment system again. :huh:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Parody of Disney's 'welcome home' commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zIPq8jpm8g
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

^ I chortled at Merida!! :lol:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, all is not well at the Mouse House. I can’t personally vouch for the source, but the people at this website take them seriously and nothing sounds all that surprising.
As posted from WDWpro at WDWMAGIC.
Let me preface this post by saying I know much more than I'm going to say in this thread. That's just the way it's going to have to be in order to protect sources, prevent doxing, and keep jobs safe. Additionally, it lets those sharing info with me know that if something needs to be off the record, it will stay if the record.

The Disney company is currently hurting for cash, and not by a little. The absolute destruction of the global film industry means that Disney is losing billions and billions of usual expected revenues with no certain end in sight. Mulan has been pushed to the end of August, but even that still seems optimistic, and likely box office revenues may by as low as 20% of what it could have been. A burgeoning cold war with China likewise makes promoting the film an uncertain formula. The MCU is currently benched, live action Star Wars is on pause, Indiana Jones 5 is more unlikely daily, and there's simply no good path forward outside of the animation studios. Furthering the dearth of income, Disneyland was prepped to reopen at great expense, only to be indefinitely postponed yet again. The money to reopen Walt Disney World has been immense, but with increasing COVID infections in Florida, it seems more and more likely that increasing capacity will be a slow process, which means revenues for WDW will be lower than projected when the rush was approved to get the parks open fast. Adding to this, capex projects needing completing at WDW are substantial, more than ever in the past decade. Conflict has broken out inside Disney's top levels with some pushing for continued spending in new projects, such as Splash Mountain reskinning, while others are extremely bearish with a view that Disney should hold every possible dollar.

It is from within this paradigm that Disney is now struggling with public messaging not matching internal capabilities. For example, Splash Mountain changes were announced with little design ready to implement, based off of a blue sky design that had a concept art package quickly produced for social media advertising. Just one problem: the actuaries were not approached, nor were budgets forecast for the changes. In fact, you might say a rogue committee approved the decision without determining the cost or the feasibility... and then the company realizes the issue after public announcement. So what to do? As of now, the plan is to "quickly" change the DLR version, where it is more likely to be received positively, then use Epcot capex funds that would have gone to Mary Poppins and JII to change the superior WDW version starting in 2022 or 2023. However, hopes that Disney can plus the attraction are difficult to materialize with Imagineering already completely flummoxed how they can possibly reskin many dozens of animatronics in a crown jewel attraction. One imagineer has compared the task to retheming Pirates of the Caribbean to a Jungle Book ride. Yet more attractions are likely to be modified, budgets be damned. This has created friction even all the way to the Bobs with Iger doing everything he can to save his legacy, while Chapek tries not to be the fall guy while looking at a company in dire financial straits. Whereas Chapek wanted to spend the capital necessary to retrofit MK for a pandemic and then slowly open other parks as demand and money permitted, Iger overruled the plan and pushed for a full reopening to prevent Universal from getting the upper hand.

Now the company has greater inner turmoil than at any point in the recent past. Spending is continuing in spite of depression-like revenues projected for the remainder of the year... and often on new projects of a social nature (changes are coming to Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Pirates of the Carribean, Carousel of Progress, etc). This is coming from one or two factions in the company who share overlap. Other factions are scared the company is stretched thin and needs to hold spending as much as possible. Fear also exists that if relations with China deteriorate, the company could lose both Shanghai and Hong Kong. Not since WWII has uncertainty been so high. The cost of maintaining parks during a pandemic are significantly higher, yet raising ticket prices is nearly impossible.

Going forward, what does this mean?

1. Epcot changes are likely to be MUCH less than originally planned.
2. Layoffs are coming.
3. Announced additions are on very long timelines.
4. Disney World having to close again would be devastating.
5. OLC and Disney relations are strained; expect that to manifest in visible ways.
6. Every penny counts, and cost cutting measures can be expected within 12 months.
7?. Is Chapek the fall guy? Many are speculating Iger plans to use him as the scapegoat.
8. 50th celebration is essentially canceled down to only things that cost little... no new floats, no big refurbs.
Via https://www.disboards.com/threads/disne ... h.3807154/ via WDWMagic
blackcauldron85

Eek. I agree that none of that sounds surprising. It's a tough time for most businesses. I am worried about the CMs who just got off unemployment just to need it again. If there are a lot of sick guests, will they stay open?

I think with the SM retheme, Disney had to come up with something to appease the people, ya know? They'll have time to flesh out the ideas.

Disney has announced projects that never came to fruition before, so this won't be unprecedented. As far as #5, so Tokyo (OLC), + Hong Kong + Shanghai relations are in jeopardy? What exactly could happen?!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I chortled at Merida!! :lol:
I did too at that part! The accent floored me! I also thought the message at the end was funny: "Disney World is not your home, you creepy cult members!" Some hardcore theme park fans do come off as cult-ish. I don't frequent theme park forums, but I've encountered plenty of them on Instagram and I have to admit they creep me out a little bit. :lol:
UmbrellaFish wrote:The Disney company is currently hurting for cash, and not by a little. The absolute destruction of the global film industry means that Disney is losing billions and billions of usual expected revenues with no certain end in sight. Mulan has been pushed to the end of August, but even that still seems optimistic, and likely box office revenues may by as low as 20% of what it could have been.
Disney's biggest revenue maker is the theme park division which includes the resorts and the cruise line. Yes, not being able to release new movies has hurt them a lot, but they could have weathered it out had the parks remained opened.
UmbrellaFish wrote:It is from within this paradigm that Disney is now struggling with public messaging not matching internal capabilities. For example, Splash Mountain changes were announced with little design ready to implement, based off of a blue sky design that had a concept art package quickly produced for social media advertising. Just one problem: the actuaries were not approached, nor were budgets forecast for the changes. In fact, you might say a rogue committee approved the decision without determining the cost or the feasibility... and then the company realizes the issue after public announcement.
But I thought the change was in the works for over a year! :mischief:
UmbrellaFish wrote:As of now, the plan is to "quickly" change the DLR version, where it is more likely to be received positively, then use Epcot capex funds that would have gone to Mary Poppins and JII to change the superior WDW version starting in 2022 or 2023. However, hopes that Disney can plus the attraction are difficult to materialize with Imagineering already completely flummoxed how they can possibly reskin many dozens of animatronics in a crown jewel attraction. One imagineer has compared the task to retheming Pirates of the Caribbean to a Jungle Book ride.
That sounds like a recipe for disaster. :facepalm:
UmbrellaFish wrote:This has created friction even all the way to the Bobs with Iger doing everything he can to save his legacy, while Chapek tries not to be the fall guy while looking at a company in dire financial straits. Whereas Chapek wanted to spend the capital necessary to retrofit MK for a pandemic and then slowly open other parks as demand and money permitted, Iger overruled the plan and pushed for a full reopening to prevent Universal from getting the upper hand.
From what I know about Iger, I totally believe that. Big mistake, in my opinion. Chapek's approach was much more sensible.
UmbrellaFish wrote:Changes are coming to Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Pirates of the Caribbean, Carousel of Progress, etc).
Hasn't Pirates of the Caribbean been updated recently? Do they really need to fiddle with it more? I hope they don't mess with Country Bears Jamboree. I always found its risque elements quite charming. With Jungle Cruise, I'm guessing they want to tie it in to the movie more? Unless, they want to sanitize it too? I don't even know what's "wrong" with Carousel of Progress.
blackcauldron85

^Carousel of Progress probably would get its last scene updated...I mean, it has smart appliances and VR, just outdated versions. I'm good with it as is but I'd imagine that's what they would update.

Guests Not Wearing Face Masks on Attractions Will Not Receive On-Ride Photo at Walt Disney World
https://wdwnt.com/?p=309062

I know Disney is guest-friendly, and people will cause a stink and say to boycott Disney, but shouldn't they kick out maskless guests?!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The source said:
then use Epcot capex funds that would have gone to Mary Poppins and JII to change the superior WDW version starting in 2022 or 2023
Does JII stand for Journey into Imagination??? I hadn’t heard anything about this, were they going to fix that ride??? That hurts more than losing Poppins tbh.

The source said:
Fear also exists that if relations with China deteriorate, the company could lose both Shanghai and Hong Kong.
That’s a possibility I’ve never expected to see in my whole lifetime.

bc85 said:
If there are a lot of sick guests, will they stay open?
I may be wrong, but I don’t think they will be keeping track of that, right? The media will run a few stories about specific cases but I don’t think we’ll ever have any idea of the magnitude of sickness being spread there. Universal has been open for a month now and I haven’t heard much about issues with guests and team members getting sick, but now that cases are sky-rocketing I can’t imagine Universal and soon Disney won’t see problems with staff getting sick and staying home. I know here when a restaurant worker gets sick, the whole restaurant shuts down. Will they shut down attractions when a CM gets sick?

Sotiris said:
I also thought the message at the end was funny: "Disney World is not your home, you creepy cult members!"
When I worked at Disney’s Boardwalk Resort, our official greeting was “Welcome Home”— I think this is the same across the board for all Disney resorts— it kind of made sense because Boardwalk was partly a timeshare, but I always thought it sounded creepy and ominous and only exacerbated by the Bordwalk’s old timey Coney Island theming and decor. I only said it a few times when upper-upper level management was nearby!

Golly, I forgot this, but sometimes especially late at night working at a hotel could give you the shivers. They really are naturally creepy places.

Sotiris said:
Big mistake, in my opinion. Chapek's approach was much more sensible.
I agree.

Sotiris said:
Hasn't Pirates of the Caribbean been updated recently? Do they really need to fiddle with it more? I hope they don't mess with Country Bears Jamboree. I always found its risque elements quite charming. With Jungle Cruise, I'm guessing they want to tie it in to the movie more? Unless, they want to sanitize it too? I don't even know what's "wrong" with Carousel of Progress.
Yeah, POTC was changed two years ago (I think) to change the context of a scene and introduced the Redd character. I guess the fundamental problem with POTC, and why it may always be subject to sanitizing, is that the subject can never be as family friendly as the Disney brand is.

As for CBJ, Jim Hill said on a podcast that they wanted to take out the “Mama don’t whip little Buford” song which ends with the punchline “I think you should shoot him instead.” I mean, I guess how I can see how that’s offensive, but I like CBJ as it is. I think attractions like CBJ and Haunted Mansion serve as palate cleansers for a Magic Kingdom experience— so many attractions and shows are so sugary and attractions like these two sort of cut the sugar. I’ll say, I did see on Twitter someone say that the name of the character “Liver Lips” was an offensive ethnic slur, and I was not aware of that previously.

I think Jungle Cruise should be re-evaluated for our times. I don’t know what’s wrong with Carousel of Progress either, but I think it should be removed and placed in a museum— only because I think calling it an “attraction” is overselling it and also I’m a ruthless bitch. Rip out Small World while you’re at it. Yeah, I said it.

bc85 said:
Guests Not Wearing Face Masks on Attractions Will Not Receive On-Ride Photo at Walt Disney World
https://wdwnt.com/?p=309062

I know Disney is guest-friendly, and people will cause a stink and say to boycott Disney, but shouldn't they kick out maskless guests?!
The only thing I’m confused about, I thought you were allowed to take off the mask to take pictures? Or was that changed/a rumor? I guess being in an enclosed space like a ride with your mask off is even more dangerous than removing your mask in front of Cinderella Castle, but still I’m confused. I mean, a lot of guests know where the cameras are so it’s also entirely possible to take off your mask for a few seconds to take the picture. I don’t have an issue with this policy, it just seems inconsistent.
Last edited by UmbrellaFish on Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blackcauldron85

UF wrote: I may be wrong, but I don’t think they will be keeping track of that, right? The media will run a few stories about specific cases but I don’t think we’ll ever have any idea of the magnitude of sickness being spread there.
Yeah, I bet you're right. I just remember reading about a guy who traveled here to WDW (did he go to DLR, too?) right before social distancing and he ended up having Covid + I bet there were more. It's scary because someone can have no temperature and still have it, so while the temperature checks may weed some people out, it's still a breeding ground. I know $ needs to be generated but it'd be smart to at least wait for the vaccine. :(
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I remember a guy, maybe the same guy, right before WDW closed. He coughed blood on the plane but decided to go to WDW anyway, eventually was diagnosed with COVID—19 and ultimately passed away. We’re going to see more stories like that.

I really think the wisest decision would have been to keep WDW closed. If only we had competent leadership at the state and federal levels, the nation wouldn’t have reopened too early and WDW and other parks wouldn’t have been allowed to reopen. I always said the consequences would be worse if we shut down, reopened too soon, and had to shut down again. But the parks are in so deep, and the government has more or less decided that American lives are worth risking for the sake of the economy, that I’m not sure if they will ever turn back.

:( God, what a mess.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:As for CBJ, Jim Hill said on a podcast that they wanted to take out the “Mama don’t whip little Buford” song which ends with the punchline “I think you should shoot him instead.” I mean, I guess how I can see how that’s offensive, but I like CBJ as it is. I think attractions like CBJ and Haunted Mansion serve as palate cleansers for a Magic Kingdom experience— so many attractions and shows are so sugary and attractions like these two sort of cut the sugar.
I agree. Having some attractions be little more edgy and adult is a good thing.
UmbrellaFish wrote:I’ll say, I did see on Twitter someone say that the name of the character “Liver Lips” was an offensive ethnic slur, and I was not aware of that previously.
I didn't know that either. Isn't that an easy fix though? Just change the name of the character. What about Tired Eyes McGrowl? :P
UmbrellaFish wrote:I think Jungle Cruise should be re-evaluated for our times.
Jungle Cruise seems much more difficult to fix while keeping it on theme. I suppose they could eliminate the tribal people and have the dangers only come from the fauna and flora. Would that work? I really don't know much about the attraction. What would you suggest?
UmbrellaFish wrote:I I don’t know what’s wrong with Carousel of Progress either, but I think it should be removed and placed in a museum— only because I think calling it an “attraction” is overselling it and also I’m a ruthless bitch.
rotfl
blackcauldron85

Sotiris wrote:What about Tired Eyes McGrowl?
:lol: :lol: That is perfect!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Wait, I can do better! Puffy Eyes McGrowl. :wink:
blackcauldron85

I had no idea he had a last name- I thought you made that part up! Puffy is funnier than tired for sure!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Sotiris wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:I think Jungle Cruise should be re-evaluated for our times.
Jungle Cruise seems much more difficult to fix while keeping it on theme. I suppose they could eliminate the tribal people and have the dangers only come from the fauna and flora. Would that work? I really don't know much about the attraction. What would you suggest?
To be honest, I haven’t put much thought into it! It just seems to me that most of the most offensive parts of the ride are pretty brief moments that really only serve to set-up the skipper for a one-liner, so I don’t think it would be hard to replace them tbh. And I think they will take their cues from whatever the Dwayne Johnson movie does, anyway, so we’ll have to wait and see what they choose to do in the movie.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney Cultural Representative Program Suspended Until Further Notice; Employment Offers Withdrawn at Walt Disney World

https://wdwnt.com/2020/07/disney-cultur ... ney-world/

:( :( :(

So sad for my friend. :( :( :( I hope he gets another opportunity soon... :( :( :(

This year started out so nice, I thought I was going to see him again.
blackcauldron85

:( I'm sorry, for him, for you, for everyone who expected to be working there. With FL bring such a hotbed of Corona, they may be dodging a bullet right now, though.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It’s for the best, and I knew it was coming, and I even hoped it would happen, because as you imply it’s just not safe for them to be there right now... but still. :( :( :(
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

CONFIRMED: Spaceship Earth Reimagining and Mary Poppins Attraction Officially Postponed at EPCOT

https://wdwnt.com/2020/07/confirmed-spa ... -at-epcot/

Guests noticed today that Spaceship Earth’s refurb and the Mary Poppins attraction had been removed from the Epcot Experience show. I thought that would be the closest thing we’d see to an official confirmation that they weren’t going forward with these plans, but Disney has released a short statement. From the link above,
“As with most businesses during this period, we are further evaluating long-term project plans. The decision was made to postpone development of the “Mary Poppins”-inspired attraction and Spaceship Earth at this time.”
I’m sure Spaceship Earth will get its TLC when the company can open its wallet again— maybe not as ambitious as previously expected, but it’s the flagship attraction of the theme park so undoubtedly they will return to it.

Mary seems more unlikely to return, in my opinion, although I guess it’s a comfort that Disney uses the word “postpone”— but that could just be verbiage to save face. I won’t mourn the attraction since we didn’t really know what it was (and the rumors— “Enchanted Tales with Belle Mary Poppins— weren’t all that appealing). But I was so excited to visit Cherry Tree Lane! Ah well, que sera sera.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

BREAKING: Stitch’s Great Escape, Rivers of Light, and Primeval Whirl Officially Closed Forever at Walt Disney World

https://wdwnt.com/2020/07/breaking-stit ... ney-world/

I never got to do Stitch’s Great Escape (and I think it’s kind of weird that Disney’s announcing the ride is closed now officially when it hasn’t operated in years) but I didn’t hear good things tbh.

Rivers of Light I did not like. I saw it once after they got rid of the live performers so maybe that was better. But the show was... not great.

Primeval Whirl was fun! I always liked to do it in DAK. I know it’s kind of chintzy and apparently is literally a carnival ride you can do at carnivals and fairs around the country, but PW fleshed out a day at DAK and its closure is a loss for Dinoland IMO.