What's New at Walt Disney World?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: What's New at Walt Disney World?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I am low-key going to cry. I have such great memories of Primeval Whirl and Stitch. :( I knew Stitch wasn't beloved and that its days were numbered but I'll always have a soft spot for it. ("Flo-ri-da. On E-arth." is one of my go-to catchphrases <3) And was it really a trip to AK if I didn't get batted around on PW? (If I wasn't sandwiched between people, that's what happened!)

Oh, WDW. :(

(We never stopped to watch Rivers of Light but saw a little bit while leaving the park one night.)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm also a bit sad that Stitch's Great Escape is closing. It was a cute little attraction and it featured original animation to boot. I heard it's going to be replaced by a Wreck-It Ralph attraction.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

PHOTOS: Ample Hills Creamery Signage Removed from Disney’s BoardWalk Resort

https://wdwnt.com/2020/07/photos-ample- ... lk-resort/

Ample Hills went belly up and now the Boardwalk shop is closing. :( Amazing how so much can change in a little over a year since I was last there! Hopefully the cast members who work there (who were not third party, I believe, as some CPs worked there) will be assigned to new roles within the company.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

My mom asked me who in is in charge of Disney that made this decision.

My response: Clearly an idiot.

It's not a matter of choosing whether the park opens over public safety.

They could open the parks, but they should have been smarter about it than fully re-opened.

Plus the fact they aren't making covid tests to cast members I believe is bull crap.

Sounds like Disney world is about to become the deadliest place on Earth or The Haunted Mansion.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
blackcauldron85

^ Yeah, after hearing about the 50 Universal employees that tested positive, sadly I'm just waiting to hear about Disney cast members or guests. My husband really wanted us to go to WDW at least one last time on our APs, but I wasn't feeling safe to go, + once I told him about the Universal workers, I think he changed his tune, too.

I hope it's safe and more people don't get sick, of course. And with the extra $600 a month unemployment benefit going away, I bet a lot of CMs are grateful to be working again.
blackcauldron85

Disney World employees describe the cost of staying safe as coronavirus cases surge in Florida

http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-w ... ida-2020-7
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Lightniing strikes Cinderella Castle at 10:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds39aAaaWRE

Cinderella proably got flash fried.
blackcauldron85

Carousel of Progress Fails to Open, Now Temporarily Closed at the Magic Kingdom
http://wdwnt.com/?p=323858

I didn't know that the show was having so many technical difficulties. :(

The thunderboomer in that video was loud! That's what happens in the Sunshine State!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

RUMOR: Voyage of the Little Mermaid Show Permanently Closed at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

https://blogmickey.com/2020/08/rumor-vo ... d-studios/

I’m sad that this means jobs will be lost— hopefully those performers can find other performance jobs in the parks when those jobs become available, as I know what bad shape the theatre industry is in nationwide.

I didn’t think The Voyage of the Little Mermaid was a very good stage show, but I think it would have been better to have retooled the show and upgraded it instead of closing it permanently. Although, I suppose with the financial situation the parks are in that option is no longer entirely feasible.
blackcauldron85

^I absolutely love this show...I've seen it a lot of times, so it won't be the end of the world, and I'm sure it's on YouTube, but I just love it. I agree that I'm sad for all of the performers. Are there enough Puppeteering roles @ WDW for those cast members? That's a particular skill. Not that they need more Belles for that stage show, but I wonder if any of those Ariels could become Belles, or even Elsas/Annas for that sing along?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Walt Disney World Silences Beauty, The Beast & Mrs. Potts For Actor-Less Show
https://deadline.com/2020/08/walt-disne ... 202989730/
blackcauldron85

I'm on the side of the Actors' Equity. Safety first. That was a nice little show. I mean, obviously it's a very different type of show, but the musicians were great, nice arrangements, and the B&tB characters were cute- their dancing was really cute! Instead of actors, we get meet 'n greet characters, but that's fine. During these crazy-times, it's good to make due however you can, and this was nice.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Interesting article. Despite the criticism of the opening of Disney World, "all rides had double-digit wait times within the first seven days of opening."

How Much Should Disney Worry About Reopening Its Parks?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ks-1305049
blackcauldron85

Define "double digit wait times," though...10 min? 30 min? 99 min? I'm legit not trying to be cynical, just wondering. The Actors' Equity wanting its WDW cast members tested, that Orange County, CA union rep who wants its cast members tested...I mean, the cast members should be tested! Don't open if you're not willing to take care of your own.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I don’t understand why Disney is so reluctant to allow their characters to wear masks. Universal has their face characters wearing masks, why can’t Disney? Character integrity. :roll:

I’ve heard singing described as the most dangerous activity possible to spread COVID-19, which is one of many reasons why Broadway will not re-open this year. I’m not sure it would even be possible to sing with a mask over your face? Maybe they can perform to recorded tracks? (Much of these Disney stage shows are pre-recorded already, but usually at least the leads are live). I don’t like seeing regular cast members take the place of Equity performers....
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I thought the loss would actually be much bigger.

Disney Parks Pandemic Closures Result in $3.5 Billion Loss
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ss-1305953
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I was under the impression that attendance was decent given the circumstances...

Disney World Scales Back Hours Amid Disappointing Attendance
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-world-sc ... ttendance/
blackcauldron85

I hope that doesn't affect the cast members' pay too negatively. Yeah, Disney, not everyone feels safe going out before a vaccine and so many people don't have the $ for a Disney trip. After the vaccine even, attendance levels probably won't be where they were.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

My cast member friends from park entry commented on one of these articles. They complained that the headline was sensationalistic (it was WDWNT’s reporting— I read and share their articles on here, but the outlet is pretty unpopular with cast members) and said it was appropriate for hours to be shortened due to lower attendance at this time of year. From my own experience, I can only say that yes, attendance does tend to drop after July/August and before October and during less busy seasons, park hours will adjust to reflect that.
blackcauldron85

^ That's true. It's been so long since I worked @ WDW, but definitely hours were seasonal.