Finding Nemo: The Musical

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Finding Nemo: The Musical

Post by ichabod »

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061019/apfn_fin ... .html?.v=1
NEW YORK (AP) -- If you've been looking for Nemo, that rebellious fish from the 2003 animated film "Finding Nemo," you can soon find him on stage, along with his overprotective clown fish of a father Marlin and the movie's other aquatic characters.
ADVERTISEMENT

Disney is converting the undersea tale of Marlin's adventurous search for Nemo, who is scooped up by a diver, into what company officials are calling a "Broadway-caliber short-form" stage musical.

Preview performances of 'Finding Nemo-The Musical' are set to begin in November and the premiere is set for January 2007 in the 1,500-seat Theater in the Wild at Disney's Animal Kingdom Park at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando.

The production marks the first time Disney has made a musical of a non-musical animated film, said Anne Hamburger, executive vice present of Disney Creative Entertainment, who was at Manhattan's Palace Theatre Wednesday where two animated puppets -- including Nemo -- were presented and composers performed two songs from the musical.

Using animated backdrops, special lighting, sound and effects, The Theater in the Wild will be transformed into a magical underwater wonderland populated with puppets and dancers and animated backdrops, Hamburger said.

There will be tap-dancing sharks, bike-riding puppets and a punk performance by the great white shark Bruce, Disney officials said.

The musical will run about 30 minutes compared to the a 1-hour-44-minute movie, which grossed hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office, Hamburger said.

To make the underwater environment come alive on stage, Disney officials enlisted some of mainstream theater's most well-known names.

Peter Brosius, the artistic director at The Children's Theatre Company in Minneapolis, Minn., is directing the musical.

Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, who was co-creator and co-composer of the Tony Award-winning "Avenue Q," composed original songs for the new musical.

Michael Curry, who co-created the character puppets in Broadway's "The Lion King," is creating the puppetry for the new show.

In the musical, the main characters -- Nemo, Marlin and Dory -- will appear as animated puppets operated by live performers, Curry said.

New technology and other tricks will give the stage an "underwater" feeling, Curry said.

Hamburger wouldn't say how much Disney is spending to create 'Finding Nemo-The Musical.'

Entry to 'Finding Nemo-The Musical' will be included with regular admission to Disney's Animal Kingdom.
The word ''awful'' bearly comes close as an adjective for this! :roll:
Last edited by ichabod on Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RachelSmachel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RachelSmachel »

A bit strange considering Finding Nemo wasn't a musical to begin with.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

On the official Disney World podcast when Everest opened, they played a 30 second clip of a song from the musicla. They turned the scene where Nemo and Marlin are about to leave the anemine and are going in and out. I remember them singing the words "in and out in and out" and I kept thinking of a dirty connotation to that. I guess the music was done by the guy who did the music for Avenue Q, which is funny, but the music is really bad! I'm not excited about the punk shark song. I'll be seeing this in December and I'm looking forward to it about as much as I look forward to the High School Music Per Rally... :roll:
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

DANG! Screamscape has posted photos from the show and I have to say that the puppets look fantastic!
The puppets are pretty impressive and in some cases, massive. I'm now looking forward to at least seeing the puppet portion of the show, but maybe I'll bring my iPod and just listen to something else. lol.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

goofystitch wrote:DANG! Screamscape has posted photos from the show and I have to say that the puppets look fantastic!
It does seem a bit weird that they are doing a Finding Nemo musical since the film itself is not a musical. However, looking at these pictures posted by goofystitch it looks like it would be a really good show. Very visually appealing, that's for sure. I will have to check it out next time I make it to the park. :D
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Finding Nemo: The Musical Soundtrack

Post by goofystitch »

I just found out that the soundtrack to the new "Finding Nemo: The Musical" at Disney's Animal Kingdom is available exclusively through iTunes. I saw the show in December and it was fantastic. The music wasn't the greatest, but I'll probably end up buying the soundtrack because a few of the songs were pretty good and "Big Blue World" is also used in the ride at Epcot, so it will fit in nicely with my large collection of park music. Click Here To See It
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Since I saw the show, I've been hoping that they'd release a CD soundtrack...unfortunately, I don't use I-Tunes. :( boo-hoo for me.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Using iTunes doesn't necessitate an iPod. I used it before I had mine and I burn everything I buy onto a CD. Unless you don't use iTunes because you can tell a difference by listening to a CD versus downloaded music. I personally can't tell a difference between a song that was downloaded off iTunes vs. a song on my iPod that came from a CD, but I know some people can tell a difference. But the soundtrack is exclusive to iTunes so if you want it, it's your only way to get it.
Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo

Post by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo »

I wish I could download it but apparently people fom the UK can't purchase it :cry:
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

I keep seeing the commercial for it on TV and it looks and sounds like it would be really cool! I wanna go to Disney!!!!!!!!!!!!
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
blackcauldron85

I just don't use it. When I download songs, I use Walmart.com. If it's a subscription service, then I wouldn't use it. I don't think that it's a buy-one-song-and-pay-for-only-that-song type of service (correct me if I'm wrong). I live practically next door (if next door took 50 minutes to get to) from WDW, so I could go often and just listen for free... :?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

blackcauldron85, iTunes is not a subscription service. They charge 99 cents per song. There is no obligation to even buy anything from iTunes. It's a free and easy way to store all of your mp3's as well as back up all of your physical cds. I used iTunes for that long before I had an iPod. You can download iTunes and buy any songs from "Finding Nemo: The Musical" or the whole album for $9.99. It works the same way as Wal Marts digital music service. It's a "buy-one-song-and-pay-for-only-that-song type of service." In fact, Wal Mart only offers digital downloads in an effort to compete with iTunes, because stores have been loosing revenue from CD sales since iTunes has become a popular place to buy music.
blackcauldron85

Oh- thanks, goofystitch! I had no idea!

I was visiting Animal Kingdom Lodge yesterday, and, in one of the shops, they have a Finding Nemo- The Musical CD! I didn't buy it yet, but I probably will sometime in the future! Just wanted to let everyone know!
MouseHouse55
Gold Classic Collection

Finding Nemo on Broadway?

Post by MouseHouse55 »

Hey everybody! I don't have too much to say, other than Finding Nemo is making it's way to Broadway. This may be old news, but it's brand new to me. Casting calls have been made, and auditions are set to take place in Florida. I don't have anything more to add than that, but it looks like the Animal Kingdom version must be quite a success...
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I dont think this will work as well as it did as a cgi film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I don't think it can get to Broadway in this state. It will need to be reconceptualized.
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
CherryChan150

Post by CherryChan150 »

Has anybody here seen the live action 'Nemo' show in Disneyland?

I honestly haven't, but if they're trying to make Nemo into a musical, would it look like that?

They should do it in a style similar to the Lion King on Broadway....
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

If you haven't seen how the Finding Nemo musical at Animal Kingdom looks like check this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecupbjBPRXQ
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Anthony
Special Edition

Post by Anthony »

Whatever happened to original Broadway shows? Why is every show coming out now based on a movie? Where's the creativity?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Anthony wrote:Whatever happened to original Broadway shows? Why is every show coming out now based on a movie? Where's the creativity?
Well it's not in Hollywood either, we know that much!

I suspect all the creativity in the world is currently wrapped up in a nice little box, pushed underneath a bed, on the second floor of a house on Steiner Street, near the edge of the town of JoMama, in the glorious state East Dakolina.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?