DCL (Disney Cruise Line)

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Fidget1234
Special Edition

DCL (Disney Cruise Line)

Post by Fidget1234 »

Booked & paid off the flight & cruise for the 4 night cruise for Oct 29...

Wicked psyched.
I have a feeling that once I go on the cruise- i'll be wanting to go every year...

Also- we'll be on it for Halloween- wonder if they'll have any festivities going on at the adult bars or something. Totally going to have a Disney costume- not sure what yet tho- i'd like to do Cindy & Prince Charming- but knowing my "prince charming" he'll want to just wear his red sox jersey & hat & call it a costume- yah, like everyday wear counts...

We[re also having the later dinner at 8:30- in hopes that there will be less children around.
A couple of friends will be cruisin' with us- both are some old co-workers of mine ffrom WDW & both are still workin' there for the Mouse- just now in management & vacation planning instead of merchandise/entertainment when i first met them back in 2000.

Wont get to see the "twice charmed" cinderella show thats only for long cruises. awww! I was so looking forward to seeing that!

Any info from peeps who have experience w/ the cruise?
I've been doing some research on it myself & thank goodness they have a fitness center- i dont want all the free vendor food to make me fat-haha.
and it also has a Spa- NICE...now that's a vacation!

Was going to add the "Romance Plan" cuz this is really supposed to be our actual honeymoon which we've put off for over a year (the 1/2 honeymoons to Boston & back home to O-town dont count as a full one), but we'll just be traveling w/ another couple & we'll each have our own rooms (Yes, we will be getting an oceanview room)
but the romance plan was like an extra $400 or so & u just get a champagne breakfast, priority seating for one night at Palo, 2 passes to the spa, and turndown service for one night...we passed on that.

Anywho- any tips would be appreciated from past cruisers!
Thanks!

:ariel: :nemo: :mickeyface: :tink:
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Not a past cruiser and not a future cruiser (Disney or otherwise) anytime soon (primarily, because it's grossly out of my price range), but it (DCL) sounds like a lot of fun.

Have a great Disney-style Halloween Honeymoon!

:party:
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

have a great cruise, I have always wanted to do one of these, remember one thing you can eat 24/7 so dont over eat
Dark Knight Rulez
MichaeLeah
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MichaeLeah »

You must be going on the Disney Wonder. I see that ship all the time because I work at a ministry in Port Canaveral. I am friends with a bunch of the crew...including the man who works in the projection room. He has a rough job, he has to spend all his time watching Disney movies. He also has to preview all the movies to make sure they are framed correctly.

Tip your waiter well...they get paid very little. You might be able to buy a free pass for cheap to Walt Disney World from him if you are nice.
cydney
Special Edition

Post by cydney »

My mom and step-dad went on a Disney Cruise for their honeymoon and they had the best time. They're hoping to take another one soon and they talk about it all the time. You'll want to go again and again after you go I'm sure.
My mom loved how they made you try all the differant foods on the menu if you can't decide, how there are tons of kids on the ship but they keep them occupied so you don't have to be bothered by them all the time (she didn't realize they were on the ship until they did a production for everyone) and all the fun activities they have for you to do and the cute stuff they did for honeymooners.
I hope you have fun, I'm very jealous.
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Have a great time on your Disney Cruise. My family and I take the Disney Cruise every summer (except this summer lol). You will have a fantastic time. Enjoy!
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

got my confirmation package in the mail yesterday- so many excursions to choose from!
Thanks for the tips posted guys.
I'll keep ya posted. ;)
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

alright peeps... it's finally here!

im off to cruise the dcl today for the very late-but better late then never, honeymoon.
then were spending a few days in otown to see my peeps who live there & i'll finally get to see the new potc w/ pirates cast!

margaritaville (my fav place off property of course!) 11/2. if u are in the area- come waste away buffett style! :)

happy halloween & have a great week! :)
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

That is going to be awesome. My Aunt and Uncle went with their two kids a few years back and the whole family had a great time. They are all pretty big Disney fans as well, they said it was great. Hopefully I can save up enough money to go sometime. :) HAVE FUN!!
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Dont know how I missed this the first time. I went on a cruise with my wife and daughter two years ago. There were some very nice things about it - the food and disney entertainment were excellent. There were a couple of shows that were not to be missed. The show with Hades was fantastic. Having the characters on board was great. Loads of experience.
Loved Castaway Key. Disneys private Island. We went on a beautiful kayak trip. They had a really knowledgeable eco guide. Unfortunately several people went on the trip that were not in good enough shape for even a short kayak trip and my wife and I ended up towing them.

Some of the things I didnt like were that there seemed to be rules everywhere that prevented you from having a good time. Most of them did not seem to make any sense. As well, the shore trips were much too short. The Islands were beautiful but you only got about four hours at each stop. Did not give you much time. I would have liked to experience the Island and go to the Beach.[/list]
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

so, i can sum up the trip by saying this:
BEST VACATION EVER!!!

We LOVED it....especially the adults only areas. (vista spa, fitness center, quiet cove pool area, palo, serenity bay, wavebands)

the fitness center was beautiful. i used it every day, except the day we disembarked. every treadmill, eliptical, and cycle had a tv set attacthed to the machine. plus panoramnic views of the where were heading to on the ship. it was amazing. makes my workout room look like a kiddie gymboree. haha.

anyways, we loved castaway cay the best. serenity bay was gorgeous, the most beautiful beach ive ever seen. the family beach was of course packed...& serenity bay had like no peeps on it. it was nice to be waited on hand & foot for a week. the service was nothing sort of Disneys best too. we loved how the waitstaff followed us from restaurant to restaurant (except Palo- they had their own staff) but at ANimators Pallete, Tritons, and Parrot Cay- we had the same servers every night and breakfast on the last day too. we took pix with them., and the hotty hott hotty cruise director we had...yes i totally had a crush on him. haha. oops! :)

the shows were beautiful, the ship was spotless inside & out, i got to meet jack sparrow! HAHA, I;'ll post pix soon....

we were going to go to cali/disneyland next year- but were going to book a 7 night disney cruise instead, we were so pleased & impressed...we just have got to go again! :)
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I agree with most of your positives.

The entertainment, dining and Castaway Cay were all fantastic.

We had kids under three and there is next to no child care for small children although their programs for older kids were excellent. Also the shore leaves were way too short. Could not get a flavour for the Island and Disney seemed to want us in the touristy parts of the Island rather than the more interesting parts.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I agree with most of your positives.

The entertainment, dining and Castaway Cay were all fantastic.

We had kids under three and there is next to no child care for small children although their programs for older kids were excellent. Also the shore leaves were way too short. Could not get a flavour for the Island and Disney seemed to want us in the touristy parts of the Island rather than the more interesting parts.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Sounds fantastic, Fidget1234 (and Mr. Toad).

I've been browsing the brochure and site lately, trying to justifying the cost to myself in the event I should ever go.

However, between the flight to Florida and the cost of the cruise itself, I could probably travel around the world on the mid-range, so it seems unlikely.

I CAN dream though.

Any pictures of the trips at all?
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
gadgetmobile
Limited Issue

Post by gadgetmobile »

My husband and I went on a three day cruise on the Disney Wonder in August. He wants to go on a longer cruise the next time. We enjoyed everything about it. The shows were fantastic, especially "Disney Dreams". I had a great time watching POC2 in the ship's theater, because there was something special about seeing it while at sea en route to the Caribbean.

We didn't do any of the excursions. We only got off the ship for about an hour when we were in Nassau. We snorkled at Castaway Cay and had a great time looking for the hidden Mickey. Serenity Bay was wonderful! Wow. Talking about it makes me want to go back! :)
"Don't shake if you don't mean it." Pacha in The Emperor's New Groove
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

I just booked mine for May 24, 2007 for me, my wife, my two kids and my mother in law. After that, I'll be going to WDW of course. I really cant wait!!!
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

Loomis wrote:Sounds fantastic, Fidget1234 (and Mr. Toad).

I've been browsing the brochure and site lately, trying to justifying the cost to myself in the event I should ever go.

However, between the flight to Florida and the cost of the cruise itself, I could probably travel around the world on the mid-range, so it seems unlikely.

I CAN dream though.

Any pictures of the trips at all?
plenty of pix, i'll post a few on here....

This is of me & my cheekah right after the cruise @ Epcot. pretty sunset huh?
I'm the one on the left.

In the Serenity Bay water @ Castaway Cay w/ my hubby & peeps.
I'm in the tube about to get dumped by my cheekah...she didnt really dump me- she just threatened!

Notice anything familiar about these fireworks?
These fireworks were on the cruise during the Pirates IN the Carribbean Party

me & my cheekah in Quiet Cove Pool. (did i mention we loved the adults only areas??)

After the Pirates IN the Carribbean party...at Wavebands nightclub.
I've had a few too many...i dont even recall this pic being taken.

On Castaway Cay. I'm w/ Capt Jack Sparrow... that's the Flying Dutchman behind us. this pic would be 10Kx better if i didnt look like i was spending the day at the beach- but that's what it was. :)

Look! I made a friend in the Carribbean!!!

I better not see any quick shot cracks about my awesome beach hat!
That is the beautiful Castaway Cay background. it looks wicked fake, but its the real deal! beautiful beach!

Me my hubby at the Sail Away Bon Voyage Deck Party. It's only been a few hours since we embarked on the ship & we're already wasting away...

Eating pizza @ Quiet Cove Pool! num nums.

So i totally fell in love w/ the cruise director Christiaan! He was so adorable.

Hey! That's not Peter Pan....

....it's Hercules!

How gay does my husband look wearing all that pink & that fruity drink? ;)

I fell asleep...

w/ Christiaan the hotty hott hotty cruise director & my hubby!

Dream Squad found me & my peeps @ WDW following the cruise!

the AWESOME boquet my peeps made for us as a "happy Honeymoon' gift for the cruise!

Chip loved those pimp Princess ears...this was in the cruise terminal.

how awesome is it to see The Wonder & the Flying Dutchman here?

cant wait til my cruise next year!! 7 NIGHTS next time instead of 4. :)
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Awesome pictures, I like the Mickey Mouse fireworks --- that is so cool! Looks like you had an awesome time, lucky you!!
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
ccsubruce

just a question...

Post by ccsubruce »

...how many of the condoms made it back home, anyway? Anything over zero and your cruise was a complete failure! :lol: :o :lol: :twisted:

I will bring home anyone or anything I choose, including a one-eyed Episcopalian kangaroo, if that happens to be my kinky inclination!
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Thanks, fidget. That looks like an amazing experience. I have to see if I can convince my better half to have a go one day. We have a few bigger trips planned before then...

The Black Pearl looks absolutely amazing there. I may have overlooked it - you said it was a 4-day, but is that the Western or Eastern Caribbean cruise, or another one?

At any rate, it looks like you had a terrific time. Congrats on the marriage/honeymoon, and yes, I have to say, that is one heck of a beach hat.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter