Favorite Villain Design

Polls and games that do not call for discussion.

Favorite villain design?

The Evil Queen
19%
Chernabog
8%
Lady Tremaine
8%
Captain Hook
No votes
The Queen of Hearts
No votes
Maleficent
27%
Cruella
4%
The Horned King
4%
Ursula
19%
Jafar
4%
Scar
4%
Judge Claude Frollo
4%
Hades
No votes
Dr. Facilier
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 26

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Favorite Villain Design

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Favorite villain design?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Re: Favorite Villain Design

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I voted for Chernabog, The Horned King, & Maleficent. They're just scary, man! They look cool but they're totally creepy as well.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

From the list you put up, I'd say my favorites are The Evil Queen, Lady Tremaine, Ursula, Jafar, and Frollo. I usually prefer it when villains are designed more menacing and intimidating than comedic. I also prefer a more classical, naturalistic design than something overly caricatured. I don't care for monster or animal designs either. I think those are much easier to come up with, so that doesn't impress me much. By the way, I didn't pick Maleficent because I consider her design derivative of Tremaine's.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I ultimately went with Maleficent, Ursula, and Cruella. All three maintain your attention without trying whenever they're onscreen (even if you muted the voices). Cruella is just a beast. That fur draws the eye like nothing else, and I actually think she's the prettiest Disney villainess, too--in the right shots. The hat and pocketbook are great, too. Ursula's design is fab in a lot of ways, but I've come to appreciate how her design serves to bring a great deal of the tension to her scenes (and not just the tentacles). A lot of TLM seems to focus on consumption--the first scene we see of Ursula is of her swallowing (sentient?) shrimp, then there's Ariel and Flounder fleeing the shark, Sebastian's horror during "Les Poissons," the fish in the opening escaping the ship, Ariel swimming (literally) through the mouth down into the belly of the beast to visit Ursula. The fact that they made Ursula's mouth so large adds a great deal to the scene when she becomes gigantic, as if she's about to literally eat them alive. And it's more funny, because I doubt it was intentional exactly; from the making-of features, apparently the Giant Ursula scene came much later into the film's production, thanks to Katzenberg wanting something more climactic, so her design was probably set before they ever thought of that scene, right? Anyway, I believe I'd choose Lady Tremaine next if I'd had another vote; the character's face alone is so expressive. The Evil Queen would be next. Although I've never been a fan of the white collar-thing, I do think the rest of the design is very beautiful in the right shots (mainly the opening one when she's calling the mirror, stalking down the stairs to her dungeon, and the very last shot of the scene where she speaks with the Huntsman when she holds out the box for SW's heart).

@Sotiris: I suppose I can see your point about the ways in which Maleficent's design imitates Tremaine's. They both have that very regal posture and graceful movement (something about the shoulders is very controlled, it reminds me of Lansbury actually, who was a ballet dancer). The faces also have some similarities, too. Still, Maleficent's robes alone are just gorgeous, especially when the character raises her arms and all the various colors / folds are shown. I do think Tremaine is the better villain overall, but I give Maleficent the edge in design.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I was a child who did not empathize very much with the Disney villains but the only one I remember playing as was Snow White’s Evil Queen. The dramatic moment, for instance, just before her transformation when she holds that goblet with both her hands. Or when she goes flying down those dungeon steps with her beautiful long, flowing cape. She’s so dramatic and glamorous. A wonderful vamp.

I think Maleficent has to come next. She also has a wonderfully dramatic design with her robes and horns and pointed chin.

Then for me, I think I’ll say Scar next. I’ve said it before, but Scar terrified me as a child. There something impressive about the way they were able to combine a powerful lion musculature with the sort of simpering, dandy-ness of the character.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have always been disappointed with the blandness of Mother Gothel’s design. Lady Tremaine’s face is wonderfully expressive, but personally, I would have liked her to look a little more glamorous or interesting to the eye. To me, she always looks out of place next to the others whenever she’s included in Disney Villains merch.
Disney's Divinity

I've always thought Tremaine stood apart in villain merchandise, too. I consider that mostly because she has a plain, realistic design. I still like it, personally, because it works in the film and that's what really matters for me.

I completely forgot about Hades, his design is great, too--but I've always liked Hercules' style and I know that's an acquired taste. Ditto for Yzma. Admittedly, Chernabog's design is undeniably one of the great ones, objectively; it might be my lower affinity for Fantasia as compared to other Disney films that I overlook it. I also love Hans' design. I think Hans' design works more for the shock value the film goes for than, say, Gaston, who is supposed to look like the traditional prince v. Beast (and how their arcs are reversed), and yet Gaston never once comes across like a good guy visually. As a side-note, perhaps I should've put Gothel instead of Facilier for the last named option.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I always thought Mother Gothel's design was really something! I consider her face full of personality and character! I think her face with her curls really say she is quite a villain, even if her potential may have been somewhat wasted in the film!

Oh, but my favorite is Maleficent. Love the horns, the collar, the pointed cheekbones and chin, and best of all those flame-robes. Ursula's my second pick. Tentacles, a sweetheart neckline and a golden nautilus shell necklace with a face I always loved drawing with the rest of her, and somehow that mullet is cool! The Evil Queen was my third choice. She's a queen! Great collar, great purple robes lined with white, love the red tassels, tall golden crown. Lady Tremaine would get my fourth vote. Love her red 1890's getup with leg o' mutton sleeves, a bustle, and an emerald brooch.