Favorite Fairy Godmother-esque character?

Polls and games that do not call for discussion.

Favorite Fairy Godmother character?

The Blue Fairy
13%
Cinderella's Fairy Godmother
13%
Flora
8%
Fauna
No votes
Merryweather
25%
Mary Poppins
25%
The Enchantress
4%
Mama Odie
13%

Total votes: 24

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Favorite Fairy Godmother-esque character?

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I could have included Eglantine Price as well, but the kids are sort of dumped on her, she doesn't come to them like MP. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Re: Favorite Fairy Godmother-esque character?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I like them all (well, the 1991 B&tB doesn't give us much time with the Enchantress), but I chose the 3 Ms: Merryweather, Mary Poppins, and Mama Odie. I've always liked Merryweather's feistiness; Mary Poppins is just iconic and is magical and I like her cheekiness, too; and Mama Odie is sweet but sassy, and tells it like it is, and I think she does wonders for helping Tiana (and her song is amazing).
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, it's true the Enchantress doesn't actually get screentime, which is a shame (at the same time, I loved the stained glass opening and definitely wouldn't change anything). It's one of the few things I like of the re-make's additions, that they infused her into the story more. I ended up picking her just because I always liked the Enchantress' design. That's a superficial reason, but... :P

I love Merryweather! I also like the Blue Fairy. Maybe it's that she reminds me a little bit of Glinda the Good Witch. I just always really liked her design and voice. And I liked that her power was limited in what she could do to help Pinocchio. I like Odie, too. I always felt like I should've liked her more than I do. Still, Jennifer Lewis is such a hilarious actress.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't like Mama Odie's design or her song, but I do like her character quite a bit.

I chose Cinderella's Fairy Godmother, Flora, and Merryweather. The Fairy Godmother is a presence of soothing, pure, calm, reassuring goodness all wrapped up in a fairly funny and lovable woman. I love her cloak, and her wand, Disney Dust, and magic spells are all my favorite. I like Flora because she is smart, she is smarter than any of the other Three Good Fairies, and she gets what she wants, she helps Aurora and Phillip and she loves beauty, flowers, and pink! I love Merrweather because of her fesity personality and her getting even with Maleficent and Diablo and doing a lot of the work that helps Aurora, Phillip, and the story.

It's actually kind of amazing The Three Good Fairies went from Walt thinking they could all be the same to having an amazing dynamic that works and they all shine and do what is needed for the movie at the right time.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Well, I had to vote Mary Poppins. I tend to think of her more as a guardian angel, but I guess that’s just a synonym for Fairy Godmother, anyway.

My second choice would be Merryweather— I always thought that my appreciation for the character made me a bit of an oddball, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here! I guess Merryweather probably does have the most personality of any character in the 1959 movie so maybe that’s why we’re all so drawn to her?

I also love the Blue Fairy. She’s so distinctly a vision of late 1930’s glamor... she almost feels anachronistic to the rest of the movie. But she’s pretty wonderful all the same.

I think a strength of Beauty and the Beast is that we only see the Enchantress depicted in stain glass, which I agree, is a wonderful design. The Enchantress as depicted in flashback in Enchanted Christmas and in the live-action movie are no where near as wondrous as the image I painted in my head based on that stained glass portrait.

I’ve always thought Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother was too plain looking and such a boring costume. I wish they had played into the “Fairy” part of “Fairy Godmother” more. “Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo” is a great song but a lot of other Cinderella adaptations (and even just children’s book illustrations!) do a much better job with this character.
Disney's Divinity

^ HBC's take on the Fairy Godmother as more of a creature is my favorite thing about Cinderella 2015 for sure. Richard Madden is the other thing.

I wish I had another vote to give to Fauna, since she's probably my fourth pick and it's sad she doesn't have any votes. :lol: I always thought she was adorably ditsy.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I wish I had another vote to give to Fauna, since she's probably my fourth pick and it's sad she doesn't have any votes. :lol: I always thought she was adorably ditsy.
I’m glad you brought her up. Merryweather is my favorite fairy in Sleeping Beauty, but watching Fauna bake that cake may be my favorite scene in the movie and one of my favorite comic scenes in any Disney movie.

Flora was bit of a no-fun, fuddy duddy.
Disney's Divinity

Yes! And her early scene when she talks about Maleficent always makes me laugh, too. She's sweet.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I’ve always thought Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother was too plain looking and such a boring costume. I wish they had played into the “Fairy” part of “Fairy Godmother” more. “Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo” is a great song but a lot of other Cinderella adaptations (and even just children’s book illustrations!) do a much better job with this character.
Of course you had to pick Mary Poppins!!! Haha. Yes, the Enchantress in the stained-glass window is so ethereal and has an aura of amazingness that cannot be matched in action, or at least, hasn't been.

Cinderella's Fairy Godmother has this, "I look ordinary, and then do amazing things" surprise to her that I think was the point. Also, in case you were thinking of wings, fairies never had wings until A Midsummer Night's Dream, which, yes, came before Cinderella being written down, but still, it shows originally fairies were not thought of as having wings. Which makes Sleeping Beauty questionable, but I like their wings and we can always say it just took till the 1500's for Shakespeare to record what fairies really looked like.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’d never heard that fairy wings originated with Shakespeare! Even more surprising because you rarely see any of those characters actually depicted with wings nowadays.

I can understand your point about the Fairy Godmother needing to appear ordinary, but that’s why I like interpretations where she appears like a beggar or poor woman and then, usually after Cinderella shows her some kindness, she reveals her magical powers and her own splendiferous costume.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I do love that way of doing the Fairy Godmother as well. I like both ways of doing the character, but I feel the 1950 film's way of doing it was so perfect for that version of the story I just feel it's the better one.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Blue Fairy in terms of design and Merryweather in terms of personality.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage