Favorite Disney Storybook?

Polls and games that do not call for discussion.

Favorite story book?

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
20%
Pinocchio
No votes
Cinderella
10%
Sleeping Beauty
40%
The Jungle Book
5%
The Sword in the Stone
10%
Robin Hood
No votes
Enchanted
15%
Winnie the Pooh
No votes

Total votes: 20

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Favorite Disney Storybook?

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I thought this might be a fun poll. Sometimes I like to think about what storybooks for TLM, Aladdin, B&tB, Hunchback, TP&TF, Tangled, Frozen, etc.would've looked like. I'll post my own thoughts in a separate post later. :)

Pictures for reference:
The majority of the books.
The Jungle Book
Pinocchio
Two different versions for Winnie the Pooh (one from the sequel and one from the original shorts).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Re: Favorite Disney Storybook?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This. Was. So. Hard. I like them all! I really like Robin Hood/TJB, TSitS is super nice, and the Pooh books, Pinocchio, & Cinderella are so classic. I like them all but voted for SW, SB, & Enchanted.
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I felt the same, too! :lol: I ultimately went with Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and The Sword in the Stone. I might have some bias towards TSitS, but I really do think its book is beautiful. I love how it looks carved. Sleeping Beauty's is a class above the rest though--how gorgeous is that thing.

I know Robin Hood copies TJB, but I think I prefer the green. I think Cinderella's is okay (the green/pink jewels in the lock are a little gaudy though). I actually would've rather it featured more silver on the cover than gold. The Winnie the Pooh book from the sequel is my preference of those two.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I think Sleeping Beauty is my absolute favorite. It’s so ostentatious, it’s so grand and in your face— I love it. I’d buy a replica if I could think of a use for it!

Generally, I like the live-action ones the best. I think Snow White’s is really pretty with the crème and gold touches. I haven’t watched The Sword in the Stone in years but that book looks really nice! I like Cinderella’s a lot, too. Soft spot for the Pooh book— I love how meta that movie is, it’s really the only one of these films where the framing device actually matters.

I’d love to see some of these books on display. I wonder if they are ever exhibited anywhere, perhaps at the Walt Disney Family Museum?

EDIT: They do go on display! According to this article from D23, some of them (including Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White) were touring Japan in 2017! https://d23.com/these-12-disney-films-a ... e-turners/

It also reminded me— I don’t really like the modern trend of making them pop-up books. The books featured in the classic movies felt like really old tomes, like the story you were being told was very old and of great importance. A pop up book doesn’t carry the same heft!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

UmbrellaFish, did you know shopDisney is selling replicas of some storybooks, including Sleeping Beauty's, as journals? It sounds like maybe you already knew...?

1. Cinderella - No, it's not from my bias for the film. This is without a doubt the best-looking storybook. The composition is great, with animal helpers on all four corners and the slipper in the center with a crown and the title above it. Beautiful detailing. A royal cloth banner for the title and stylized sparkles for the slipper, all with a jeweled golden clasp. The only thing that could make it better is the book would be pink, not orangeish yellow gold. Oddly, I have seen it look pink in a making-of Cinderella book I have. I own two replicas of this book, one a jewelry box and one the kind of journal they are selling of recent.

2. Sleeping Beauty - Yeah, the one everyone thinks is so damn beautiful is so damn beautiful. Those jewels! The gold! The curly filigree! It looks like a medieval tome.

3. Enchanted - I love the art nouveau look of the film and the book continues that! Love the colors!

4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Very classy and elegant. Gold on pure white is genius for this film as are the carved dwarfs and animals.

5. Pinocchio - Classic. Very appropriate. Love Pinoke's silhouette.

6. The Sword in the Stone - A very old and medieval looking tome. Looks carved and crafted from wood with real gold added.

7. Winnie the Pooh - The sequel one. It looks nice.

8. The Jungel Book/Robin Hood - Why not.

9. Winni the Pooh - The original at least looks like a classic children's book.
Disney's Divinity

UmbrellaFish wrote:EDIT: They do go on display! According to this article from D23, some of them (including Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White) were touring Japan in 2017! https://d23.com/these-12-disney-films-a ... e-turners/
That's good to know. I think of them as film artifacts sort of along the lines of the ruby slippers in various museums like the Smithsonian. Snow White, in particular, was a pivotal moment in U.S. history, so something like that deserves to be on display.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney Duster wrote:UmbrellaFish, did you know shopDisney is selling replicas of some storybooks, including Sleeping Beauty's, as journals? It sounds like maybe you already knew...?
Thanks for the heads up about the journals! I vaguely remember seeing jewelry boxes/shadow boxes you mentioned based on these books before at Disney World.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, they also sold replicas as jewelry boxes for the three Walt princess films.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

My ranking:

01. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
02. Sleeping Beauty
03. Enchanted
04. Cinderella
05. Pinocchio
06. The Sword in the Stone
07. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad