No Aladdin 4

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

No Aladdin 4

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Robin Williams left so much unused material behind that it is enough for another Aladdin movie. Because his will makes it clear that it will take more than a couple of decades before anyone is allowed to use it. But even if Robin Williams' voice would be ideal, why not use someone who can sound exactly like him? Frank Caliendo or some other great imitators? I'm sure they could do the character as well.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: No Aladdin 4

Post by Kyle »

We've had 3 already, its probably time to let it go.

The only way another Aladdin might be worth watching is to squeeze another performance out of Robbin, and that can't happen any time soon as you mentioned. Not to mention we are getting another Aladdin in the form of the live action prequel. Not that I need that one either.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Tbh I'm not convinced Disney has ever seriously considered an Aladdin 4. They brought Williams back for King of Thieves. If they'd seriously wanted another they'd have done it years ago whilst he was alive, not using out takes from the original film.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Plus, John Lasseter stopped the production of direct-to-video sequels to the animated features when he was appointed head of Disney Toon Studios. I really hate when obvious clickbait starts going around and people assume it's fact.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

ChrisLyne wrote:I'm not convinced Disney has ever seriously considered an Aladdin 4.
There never was another installment in development.
Robin Williams’ will has not dashed Disney’s hopes for a fourth “Aladdin” film — as the rumored animated sequel was never in development, an individual familiar with the studio’s plans told TheWrap.
Source: http://www.thewrap.com/robin-williams-e ... uel-plans/

estefan wrote:I really hate when obvious clickbait starts going around and people assume it's fact.
Me too. It's so annoying.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Exactly. That whole story bothered me. I kept thinking "Wait, what sequel? The studio's already eliminated any possibility of that happening." I'd have assumed they were talking about the upcoming live-action movie, but these people are never that informed and it wouldn't have made any more sense anyway.

The whole idea of making a sequel with only Williams' outtakes is asinine in the first place. It's just hours and hours of gags. So... Genie would just be making non-sequitur jokes the entire time, never commenting on the plot or having a discussion with anybody? That's not the character.

It was just a clickbait way of talking about a clause in the man's will that ended up sparking a nonsense rumor that was never hinted at to begin with (and doesn't even hold up to surface-level logic).
- John
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I don't know if we actually "need" another Aladdin movie, or any other movie for that matter, but if Disney had plans to make another one and had the plans ready, hiring someone who can give Genie more or less the same voice shouldn't be impossible. (Do you like Senfeld? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCibKS8DEgk )

Yes, they said they would stop making sequels, but that didn't prevent them from making the Tinkerbell movies.

"Disney had originally hoped to make another Aladdin film with Williams' unused material from the original 1991 recording sessions for the film."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/09/ ... liams-will
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: "Disney had originally hoped to make another Aladdin film with Williams' unused material from the original 1991 recording sessions for the film."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/09/ ... liams-will
As shown in the other posts above, this news is completely false.

Doing some detective work, the AV Club article that has been going around linked to a Sunday Times article that first reported this story, which says Disney was planning a fourth Aladdin animated film. But John Lasseter stopped the production of direct-to-video sequels to the animated films when he was appointed CCO of Walt Disney Animation and Disney Toon Studios (spin-offs are a different story).

The Aladdin prequel/Genie origin movie they were working on was live-action and not an animated film using archival recordings of Williams's voice. This was widely reported when the project was first announced.

See, this is why every time some website makes some big movie news announcement, especially something as suspicious as this one, I head straight to the Hollywood Reporter to investigate if it's the real deal or not.

Remember, if you see a story on the Internet, don't assume it's true. Do some research and investigation (something sadly missing in today's clickbait journalism) and check up on the facts. If it sounds suspicious, it might very well be.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland