The UK Announcement Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Re: The UK Announcement Thread

Post by Atlantica »

Yes thats true … but I love going on the bike, so if I'm cycling 15k, I like to be able to watch something nice. I can bet all the money I have on the fact that I'm the only person at my gym watching a Disney movie on a bike though :lol:
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

So I have a question regarding the UK blu-ray release of Monsters Inc.
I ordered it from DMR and to my actual complete surprise, it came with a second bonus disc.
I really thought the UK Monsters Inc was a one disc, no bonus features kinda affair, so I was really shocked. If it was one disc, I was then going to pick up the 2 disc DVD.

So what am I missing from the 2 disc DVD release? Now I'm not so sure I need it
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Disney UK is only changing the design of the number system on the side of DVDs/BDS. So much for a complete collection.
bluray.com has some pictures of the new design.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... &page=1709

I was never a massive fan of the yellow circles on the side of the DVDs and Blurays but I'd still like a complete collection which we now won't be getting. Thanks Disney UK. You sure know how to screw up.
Apparently all the films are getting re-released with the new numbering system. If this is a plan to make everyone re-buy it is going to really backfire.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I have absolutely no clue what Disney UK are on these days; first the mess that was the Sleeping Beauty Blu, now this random design change for absolutely no reason.

They're happy to spend time and effort on this, but not bother to change the trailers in front of a brand new blu release and instead keep the SAME trailers from 2008 ?! Absolutely ridiculous.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

This is why I stick to steelbooks and US releases only and never committed to the numbered spines in the long run. I didn't think they would actually re-issue them again especially when they're this far in with the old design but then again Disney UK are known to be inconsistent. Where is the picture of the new/re-designed numbered spines? I couldn't see them :?
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Sorry, you have to log in to see and I posted a link to the wrong page.

Number now on the front
new numbering.png
new numbering.png (163.22 KiB) Viewed 18263 times
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

MeerkatKombat wrote:Sorry, you have to log in to see and I posted a link to the wrong page.

Number now on the front
new numbering.png
Thank you :)
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

and spine...
new numbering1.png
new numbering1.png (149.08 KiB) Viewed 18262 times
These aren't my photos so I'm not taking credit. Just spreading the word.

I wish they had originally gone for this design rather than the yellow circles. As we got the yellow circles. the least Disney could do it not change it before the collection is complete.
The yellow circles always struck me as looking a bit random but they did stand out on the shelf.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Why do they need to stick it on the cover as well ? So we now have 'Disney Frozen' and 'Disney Classic 52' just inches below each other ……..

I don't know which annoys me more, the sidewise titling or this !
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

And of course, the most annoying thing is that the numbers aren't even correct anyway. Frozen is 53, not 52 anyway.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

From Official Disney UK Megathread http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... &page=1717
Disney Hero slips are coming - in another attempt by Disney UK to persuade us to re-buy. These are not my photos.
These might be more successful than the Villain slips - either way, I am avoiding them. I like a few of the slips but I don't think it is worth re-buying again.

disney hero slips.png
disney hero slips.png (171.85 KiB) Viewed 18165 times
disney hero slips 2.png
disney hero slips 2.png (101.52 KiB) Viewed 18165 times
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beauty-Beast-DV ... uraycom-21 <-------Beauty and the Beast new slip
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lion-King-DVD-R ... =lion+king<------The Lion King
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I wish they didn't use that cheap clip art. I don't like the Sleeping Beauty slip at all. I'm also disappointed they used that Ariel artwork from the Diamond edition. I've never liked that Rapunzel pose, her face looks evil.
For the good - I like Fantasia, Frozen, Bambi and TLK slips. These seem to work. Frozen could have had Anna and Elsa on the front. Kinda surprised Disney didn't do a slip for each of them considering the popularity of Frozen.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

They are some of the worst slipcovers I've ever seen ! The art of Aurora is from a Princess storybook I'm pretty sure ? I think I've seen it on bookshelves. Again, just feel that time, effort, money, and trees have been spent on this artificial piece of nonsense.

Good news about the BOGOF offer is coming back though at the end of September … though I would only be doing it for gaining a film rather than the quality of the release thats for sure.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Atlantica wrote:
Good news about the BOGOF offer is coming back though at the end of September … though I would only be doing it for gaining a film rather than the quality of the release thats for sure.
Woohoo for bogof! I feel like I've been waiting for ages.
I only buy to gain the film in HD. Gave up on quality when they dropped combo packs and dropped Peter Pan/Aladdin from Diamond and had a mass release of their back catalog with less special features than previous DVD incarnations.

If someone from this forum run Disney Uk, can you imagine the releases we would get? They would be heaven.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Well yes, the releases would be superb and worth while for sure ! I just don't get the trauma for Disney to just plonk the DVD bonus features ALL on the blu release. How is that so hard ?

And to bother creating a new cover for Sleeping Beauty for whatever random reason, then not updating ANYTHING on the disc still makes my blood boil … seriously. :angry:
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

BOGOF is here again.
I'm dissapointed this time around. There is nothing I want. I was hoping for Robin Hood/Oliver and co and I probably would have picked up Poppins and Saving Mr Banks if they had been included. I'm sure Poppins was included back in the spring bogof which makes this even more annoying.
I'm not being seduced by the new slips so I won't be re-buying anything. From what is available, I either own it or don't want to own it. :( Bummer.

Anyone else buying anything?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I don't own Brave, so I may get it, but I don't like the film. I'd only be getting it to be a Princess Collection completeist. (Which I'm surprised Disney hasnt done already ?!)

Slipcovers are shocking, the Aladdin one I have no words for :lol:
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Yeah Brave isn't great. The ending did make me cry. I am also surprised Disney hasn't done a complete Disney princess boxset - Now Disney UK is re-releasing Beauty and The Beast, Disney will now have the opportunity.
The March bogof was far superior to this one. Some of the slipcovers are pretty bad but I do like the Frozen one. Also looks like there is disc art again. I don't get what Disney are playing at.
disc art.png
disc art.png (249.67 KiB) Viewed 18017 times
Picture from blu-ray.com
I want disc art.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

MeerkatKombat wrote:I am also surprised Disney hasn't done a complete Disney princess box set
Well, it's not a complete box set but they are releasing this:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I wonder how well these multi sets sell. They are good if you want to start a collection for young children or grandchildren but i imagine most people with children own one or two of these on some format.

Guess us lucky people get a Frozen sing along too. Seems pretty redundant but of course Disney was going to milk this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Sing-Alo ... rds=frozen