Make Mine Music?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Make Mine Music?

Post by MK Sharp »

Has there been any news on an R2 or R4 DVD of Make Mine Music?

Given that Melody Time was censored in R1, but uncut in R2/R4, I'd rather wait and see if MMM has the Martins & Coys segment intact in R2/4 before buying. But there seems to be no sign of a release aside from a listing of extras at the BBFC from March 2003 (!).
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
blaing
Special Edition

Post by blaing »

Buena Vista announced the release of "Make Mine Music" in Australia for release on November 18th last year, but was withdrawn at the last minute.

So as far as I know, the only version that is available is the censored U.S. R1 version
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

blaing wrote:Buena Vista announced the release of "Make Mine Music" in Australia for release on November 18th last year, but was withdrawn at the last minute.

So as far as I know, the only version that is available is the censored U.S. R1 version
And interestingly enough, the version that the OFLC passed and BVHE Australia advertised was the full 72 minute version.

Probably the reason that it was pulled at the last minute.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Perhaps they're trying to get the uncut version released internationally? I sure hope so. Why Disney would want to alter and modify it from its original version is beyond me. Especially since this isn't a high profile release and probaply won't be bought and seen by a huge amount of people.
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Loomis wrote: And interestingly enough, the version that the OFLC passed and BVHE Australia advertised was the full 72 minute version.
The version at the OFLC - the only one I can find, anyway - is the old VHS release from 1987, isn't it?

Now that my memory's been jogged, I recall it being announced as part of the same batch that contained Melody Time, Saludos Amigos, Three Caballeros & Fun And Fancy Free - and that one of those titles was a last-minute substitute.

Clearly the intention was to release an R2/4 disc - probably uncut. The question is whether the decision to abort the release was done deliberately to supress the material, or if it was because they couldn't locate a decent transfer of the uncut version. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that the print of Melody Time on the R2/4 disc gets distinctly dirtier in the segments censored in R1, suggesting parts of an older telecine transfer have been edited in to the cleaned-up R1 master.)
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

Your impressions on Melody Time seem to be correct cus 2099net told me the same thing.

Maybe they were about to release Make Mine Music and then realized the newer transfer would be the cut version and to avoid people in R2/4 complaining just didn't release it?

And maybe intercutting an old transfer of whole martincoys segment and non airbrushed pectoral drawings etc etc would look too jarring and obvious.

Wouldn't be prudent
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

The Last time i wrote to BVHE UK about a year ago, they said they planning a release of Make Mine Music on DVD but they were having 'legal issues'! This may have something to do with releasing it uncut, or it could be another problem! Perhaps something to do with the rights of the artists who appear in the film in the same way the Mousketeers were were cut from the Disneyland U.S.A DVD! Although this seems unlikely as the film has been released on video!
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

MK Sharp wrote:
Loomis wrote: And interestingly enough, the version that the OFLC passed and BVHE Australia advertised was the full 72 minute version.
The version at the OFLC - the only one I can find, anyway - is the old VHS release from 1987, isn't it?

[...]

Clearly the intention was to release an R2/4 disc - probably uncut. The question is whether the decision to abort the release was done deliberately to supress the material, or if it was because they couldn't locate a decent transfer of the uncut version. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that the print of Melody Time on the R2/4 disc gets distinctly dirtier in the segments censored in R1, suggesting parts of an older telecine transfer have been edited in to the cleaned-up R1 master.)
This is the strangest part of the whole thing: Make Mine Music DID go through the OFLC, as I was checking it regularly as part of my DVDBits news reports etc. Now I can't find it either. Who knows? But BVHE definitely had it listed for 72 minutes.

As for Melody Time, yes - those scenes are a little murkier than the rest of the film. I didn't mid so much, because I was getting it uncut. The policy still baffles me.
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

It's cus Agent Smith is controlling the disneymatrix
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Loomis wrote:This is the strangest part of the whole thing: Make Mine Music DID go through the OFLC, as I was checking it regularly as part of my DVDBits news reports etc. Now I can't find it either. Who knows? But BVHE definitely had it listed for 72 minutes.
Curiouser and curiouser (said Alice). Do you recall if they gave it a 'G'? The thought occurs to me that the OFLC might have classified it 'PG' for the gunplay, which I'm sure would have given Disney second thoughts on releasing it.
(You might like to note that the classification record of "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" DVD has been removed after the OFLC were alerted to the fact that the 'G' rated release had several instances of the F-word in it. :roll: )
Loomis wrote:As for Melody Time, yes - those scenes are a little murkier than the rest of the film. I didn't mid so much, because I was getting it uncut.
I agree 100%. More, possibly. :D
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

MK Sharp wrote: Curiouser and curiouser (said Alice). Do you recall if they gave it a 'G'? The thought occurs to me that the OFLC might have classified it 'PG' for the gunplay, which I'm sure would have given Disney second thoughts on releasing it.
I searched through some old threads and found the link I posted to the original BVHE listing for MMM.

http://www.bvhe.com.au/viewtitledetails?TITLE_ID=933

It confirms the planned 72 minute runtime and a G rating.
disneyunlimited
Gold Classic Collection

R2

Post by disneyunlimited »

Following the recent updates to the UK Disney site, the animated "classics" are now listed alphabetically rather than by year. Couldn't help noticing that next to MAKE MINE MUSIC they've added - Out Now! although I can't find anyone actually selling this (the VHS was deleted earlier this year). If you click for more info it shows the cinema poster and lists all 10 segments...

Is this DVD finally going to creep out over here with the usual lack of publicity from BVHE UK?

In the meantime, if you want a good laugh, there's an Amazon.co.uk marketplace seller offering a second-hand edited VHS for sale at 69.99 GBP, i.e. $125.00 US. Surely if you want the cut version you'd go for the 'budget' R1 DVD (also available from Amazon.co.uk)!

In the meantime I think I'll stick with my 10 GBP "uncut" rental edition from 1987...
AlanJ

Re: Make Mine Music?

Post by AlanJ »

Make Mine Music Region 2 DVD can be purchased at:
http://www.dvd-shoppen.com/disneys-klas ... 00643.html

movie and menus are in ENGLISH, with subtitles in Swedish, Danish, Finnish & Norwegian

And it is the UNCUT 75 minute version.

The Region 1 DVD is the CUT 72 minute version.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Tellyweb

Post by Tellyweb »

Comparing the new page with the Region 2 import on Amazon, the features are unchanged. We'll get the same languages and subtitles, plus the 3 bonus shorts: Symphony Hour, The Band Concert and Farm Yard Symphony

The import says the film is unedited and uncut. Do you think the UK version will be the same.

UK version http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... tedisne-21

Import version http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... tedisne-21
marlan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by marlan »

Does the new UK release suffer from NTSC-to-PAL conversion similarly as the Scandinavian release?

DVD comparison here.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I'm interested in an international release for this film on Blu-ray. Any word on that? My hope is that it may be more likely to be region free that way.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
kidglov3s

Post by kidglov3s »

marlan wrote:Does the new UK release suffer from NTSC-to-PAL conversion similarly as the Scandinavian release?

DVD comparison here.
I can confirm that it does, unfortunately. Melody Time is fine.