uk dvds in widescreen?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

uk dvds in widescreen?

Post by ichabod »

hi, can anyone tell me if the following R2 UK dvds are in widescreen or pan and scan. also do any have bonus features.

Johnny Tremain
Kidnapped
Big Red
The Gnome Mobile
Rascal
The Computer wore tennis Shoes
The Castaway Cowboy
Candleshoe
Night Crossing
The Watcher in the Woods
The Journey of Natty Gann
Rocketman
Dragonslayer
The Rookie

Thanks.
FrankV
Gold Classic Collection

Re: uk dvds in widescreen?

Post by FrankV »

ichabod wrote:hi, can anyone tell me if the following R2 UK dvds are in widescreen or pan and scan. also do any have bonus features.
Big Red - Widescreen, no bonus
Night Crossing - Pan & Scan, no bonus
The Watcher in the Woods - Widescreen, no bonus
The Journey of Natty Gann - Widescreen, no bonus
Dragonslayer - Widescreen (non-anamorphic), no bonus
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Thanks frankV!
Does anyone have any information about the others?
disneyunlimited
Gold Classic Collection

UK DVDs

Post by disneyunlimited »

First, let's correct FrankV's post. <b>Night Crossing</b> is most definitely NOT pan and scan and Disney do not appear to be releasing ANY of their movies in pan and scan on UK DVD.

<b>Night Crossing</b> is in full frame "open matte" format. That is, they have transferred the whole of the original 35mm negative. When prints were made for this film to be shown in the cinema the top and bottom of the frame was cropped to give a 1.75:1 widescreen image. To recreate this at home simply put your widescreen TV in "zoom" mode which at approx. 1.78:1 give the same effect.

You can tell this film is not pan and scanned as the characters heads are half way down the screen which allows for the top to be cropped. Also the opening war footage is "window-boxed" with black bars all around it.

Anyway, onto the other movies, as mentioned most are in widescreen, non-anamorphic.

<b>The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes</b> confusingly says widescreen on the spine, but on the back it says "full frame" and, in fact, this is another "open matte" presentation with unnecessary information visible at the top and bottom which you can thankfully get rid of by using the "zoom" function again.

It's a shame Disney don't go into more detail about the aspect ratio on the cover as "full frame" could mean "pan and scan" or "open matte" and "widescreen" doesn't always mean "original aspect ratio" which is, I presume, is what most people want.

Another confusing Disney DVD is <b>Unidentified Flying Oddball</b> which says full frame format 1.77:1 on the back. Excuse me?
Although it turns out when I played the film it is, in fact, one of the rare "widescreen anamorphic" presentations! A great movie and like most of these "budget" releases can be picked up for around 5.99GBP even though the RRP is a tenner more!

I would also recommend <b>Darby O'Gill and the Little People</b> which is available in full screen "open matte".

Enjoy!
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Kidnapped is coming out in Australia in October and will be 1.33:1 (P & S) according to the website. If history is a guide, the UK will be as well.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I'm sure Kidnapped is supposed to be 4:3.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
disneyunlimited
Gold Classic Collection

Kidnapped

Post by disneyunlimited »

Yes, Disney's Kidnapped was filmed on standard 35mm film which has an aspect ratio of 1.375:1

The prints made for the cinema were once again cropped to 1.75:1 so this DVD edition is, of course, an "open matte" presentation which you can view in widescreen if you have a widescreen telly by watching it in "zoom" mode!

As I mentioned before, Disney do not appear to be releasing any of their movies in "pan and scan" anymore (Hurrah!)

It's just a shame that a proper explanation about the ratio is not included on the box.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Kidnapped

Post by Loomis »

disneyunlimited wrote:As I mentioned before, Disney do not appear to be releasing any of their movies in "pan and scan" anymore (Hurrah!)

It's just a shame that a proper explanation about the ratio is not included on the box.
Yeah, I was going by the official site that said "Pan & Scan", but the official site wouldn't know accurate information if it walked up, slapped it in the face and said "Hello, I'm accurate information".
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
FrankV
Gold Classic Collection

Re: UK DVDs

Post by FrankV »

disneyunlimited wrote:<b>Night Crossing</b> is in full frame "open matte" format.
I didn't know that. I thought it was pan & scan.
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

Rocketeer is Anamorphic 2.35:1 Widescreen no EXTRAS
Last edited by AlanJ on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emotionboy
Limited Issue

Post by emotionboy »

The Journey of Natty Gann UK Region 2 PAL DVD is 2.35:1 Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio Anamorphic Widescreen. I own this.

Also see: http://www.dvdizzy.com/panandscan.html
It's about content, not packaging.