Book of Masters: Disney goes Russian

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Book of Masters: Disney goes Russian

Post by Wonderlicious »

I don't think this has been reported here, but after dipping their feet into Chinese, German and Indian cinema, it looks as though Disney's made a foray of sorts into Russian cinema with Книга Мастеров (Kniga Masterov or Book of Masters):

http://surlalunefairytales.blogspot.com ... sters.html

I didn't have much idea about this. Obviously it's all in Russian and one of the trailers is abysmally cropped on one side, but regardless, it looks fairly impressive. It seems to be based upon Russian folklore, and it would be great if it got released outside of Russia (even if it were just DTV like the Chinese film).

Your opinions?
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr arrow »

Hi wonderlicious! Ive been anticipating this film since I saw the trailer.

I must admit I wasnt terribly thrilled with what I saw of the first Indian outing- Roadside Romeo and I had a hard time warming to the first all chinese endevour Magic Gourd. But my faith was restored with Trail of the Panda. So I started doing a little research on Disneys first Russian fim and I was kind of taken in by the trailer -Im hoping that its at least a good film but waiting to get some feedback on it before I form any definate opinions.

Some of the other Indian live action productions sound rather promising. I wasnt aware Disney had produced an all German film - do you have any information on it?
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

The German film you mentioned, is it the (by now) two films with THE THREE INVESTIGATORS, or did you have some other production in mind?
jckdsnyfan

Does Kniga Masterov (Book Of Masters) DVD have subtitles?

Post by jckdsnyfan »

Does anyone know if there is a DVD release of Kniga Masterov (Book Of Masters) with English subtitles?
I see a region 5 DVD on line but I can't find any technical specs.
Also does anyone know a decent site to order a copy from. I've seen it on E-bay, but thats always a bit risky.
Thanks Much
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr arrow »

Hi jckdsnyfan

There may or may not be an answer soon. Disney has just announced a new banner to release their foreign films on DVD. The good news is their Indian and Chinese language films are up for pre order! The not so good news is that their is still no mention of 'The Book of Masters' Disneys Russian film. Also I have emailed Disney and it has just been like going around in circles...The reps dont seem to know or care much about it..(no offense to reps btw)
I would have thought Disneys first Russian film might have at least registered as a blip on their radar? But it doesnt star Selena Gomez, Disney channel star or any of the other refugees from an MK ultra mind control programme so it doesnt seem to register.
Also Im speculating that quite possibly there is a large enough asian demographic to generate interest for domestic sales...Perhaps they think a russian film wont generate much interest. But it is still early days and I think its great disney have made these films available.
jckdsnyfan

Post by jckdsnyfan »

Thanks for the update - I did get the 3 Indian titles from the new World Cinema line. No extras but at least they have the original language tracks and English subtitles. Here's hoping Book Of Masters leads the 3rd wave - along with the 2 German Hexi Lilli movies. I was going to get those but the German DVDs (and Blu Ray) lack the subtitles unfortunately.
bugsplat9999
Limited Issue

Kniga Masterov (The Book Of Masters) Released In English?

Post by bugsplat9999 »

Does anyone know please if Disney's 1st Russian film Kniga Masterov (The Book Of Masters) has been released in English or has English sub-titles. I find so little data on this film. The only copy I have seen has a Disney opening and then is totally in Russian w/o subs...

This film was released in Oct 2009 and is listed in Dave Smith's A-Z Encyclopedia supplement.

Thank you for any help
Chris J.
Tolteque

Post by Tolteque »

As I can understand from this web site it wasn't succesful in Russia (rates).
http://www.kinopoisk.ru/level/1/film/425019/

I've also tried to find it in English or with sub...But...
bugsplat9999
Limited Issue

Post by bugsplat9999 »

I was able to find an English sub. I don't believe this DVD has been released with English overdubs.

Chris
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Does Kniga Masterov (Book Of Masters) DVD have subtitles

Post by Mr arrow »

Does anyone know where it is possible to get ANY dvd copy of Book of Masters? Subtitled or not, at this stage it doesn't matter..it looks as if Disneys World Cinema line crashed and burned before it even begun...any tips would be truly appreciated..

On another note even though Disney International was disbanded some locally produced content may still be happening...Disney UTV in India have two or three Disney branded productions coming out next year...the first will be called Peekay....( bollywood movie)
Also the Disney Middle East film filmed in Jordan called The United did eventually find a release under the touchstone banner there...It was shelved when Disney International was disbanded...however it has found a life of its own and is getting well received....