Mickey Mouse in a Fleischer short?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Mickey Mouse in a Fleischer short?

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Looks like Mickey has a cameo in a Fleischer short (without pants): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gua71Ia7rAU&t=0m34s

Makes me wonder if there are other old material out there with cameos from other studios.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: Mickey Mouse in a Fleischer short?

Post by milojthatch »

Wow, you are right. That clearly is Mickey in that short. Interesting.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Don't know what the law in those days said about using characters from other studios, even if it was just as a cameo for a couple of seconds. But then again, Mickey and others have appeared in both Family Guy and South Park (TV, unlike the older shorts which were theatrical).
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

^ those examples are perfectly legal as they fall under parody, you can do that even without permission. Not sure about the Fleischer short but this sort of thing was pretty common back then.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

If it was common, some animation historian should publish a list of all the titles with cameos from other studios.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Don't know what the law in those days said about using characters from other studios, even if it was just as a cameo for a couple of seconds. But then again, Mickey and others have appeared in both Family Guy and South Park (TV, unlike the older shorts which were theatrical).
It was common at that time. And while Mickey would have been a protected IP in the 1920's and 1930's, copyright law was also less restrictive then it is now. For further reading, look up the 1909 US Copyright Law and compare it to the 1978 law that replaced it.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

It was common to have Mickey Mouse clones appear in cartoons by other studios back then. Pete even appeared as a villian in a Bosko cartoon.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I knew exactly what short this was going to be when I clicked on this thread, it's one of my favorite Fleischer shorts! :) I think Leonard Maltin might have mentioned the "cameo" in his Cartoon Madness documentary from the early 90s.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:If it was common, some animation historian should publish a list of all the titles with cameos from other studios.
Cartoon Network had a whole episode of "Toon Heads" about this in the 90s which is how I knew about it. Maybe its on youtube somewhere.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

milojthatch: Yes, the rules are more strict the closer to modern times you come. Steamboat Willie was after all inspired by Steamboat Bill Jr.

Little Red Henski: As mentioned, a complete list would have been cool. Maybe some cartoon fanatics could make one some day.

Elladorine: I must confess it was the first time I saw it. Unfortunately very few classic cartoons in black and white were shown on TV when I was growing up. A couple of Popeye cartoons is all I can remember.

Kyle: Did a little search, and didn't find anything at the first attempt. But it is probably out there somewhere.