The Soap Discussion

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

orestes wrote:Sweet I need a new TV. My TV is so old I still get the DuMont network.
:lol:

BTW, what soaps do you watch orestes? There was a time when I would watch all of them, but right now I'm hooked on AMC and ATWT. I absolutely hate the two on NBC, along with GH.

And since soaps aren't even released on DVD (save for Dark Shadows and Dallas), us soap fans NEED to tape the soaps for ourselves to keep for posterity. It would be too damn expensive for us to buy yearly sets of 250 episodes.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

I watch... uhh one you hate, Days of our Lives. :) I got hooked on that from one of my friends and as it turns out half my friends watch that show!
She also got me hooked on Port Charles, which I enjoyed so much until it bit the dust.

Another one I have started watching is One Life to Live. I love how it's still a little unrealistic but not as far fetched as Days of our Lives. I actually started watching OLTL because of this one girl on there that looked beautiful. :roll:

That's all I watch right now although for some reason, through friends and family watching them I've seen every soap enough to kinda know what has been going on a bit. (except poor Guiding Light... I know no one who watches that one... B&B as well but I know a few things)
Oh and if you count it as a soap I sometimes watch Train 48... a show many hate but I have enjoyed it this year a great deal.

Anyways back on track. Yeah we need to record our soaps! I would love if they put Port Charles on DVD since it would be one of the easiest and I loved that show. :) Coronation Street has DVDs as well... like best moments and things like that so it would be nice if networks made a nice set with specials or something like that! (NBC if you're listening this would be perfect for Days 40th anniversary next November!)
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

orestes wrote:I watch... uhh one you hate, Days of our Lives. :) I got hooked on that from one of my friends and as it turns out half my friends watch that show!
She also got me hooked on Port Charles, which I enjoyed so much until it bit the dust.

Another one I have started watching is One Life to Live. I love how it's still a little unrealistic but not as far fetched as Days of our Lives. I actually started watching OLTL because of this one girl on there that looked beautiful. :roll:

That's all I watch right now although for some reason, through friends and family watching them I've seen every soap enough to kinda know what has been going on a bit. (except poor Guiding Light... I know no one who watches that one... B&B as well but I know a few things)
Oh and if you count it as a soap I sometimes watch Train 48... a show many hate but I have enjoyed it this year a great deal.

Anyways back on track. Yeah we need to record our soaps! I would love if they put Port Charles on DVD since it would be one of the easiest and I loved that show. :) Coronation Street has DVDs as well... like best moments and things like that so it would be nice if networks made a nice set with specials or something like that! (NBC if you're listening this would be perfect for Days 40th anniversary next November!)
I used to be a big Days fan, up until 2001 with the teen invasion and that insipid island story and some stupid jewels and stuff. Good idea, though, for a nice DVD set for Days next year, as I'd buy it for their GOOD years, like the late 60s, some of the 70s, a bit of the early and late 80s, and the few good years in the 90s (1992, 1995, and 1997-1999 come to mind).

I never saw Train 48...but IIRC, it's a Canadian soap? About a...Train?

I've only seen eppys of Corrie through WoST, as no PBS station in my area carries it. We used to get EastEnders on NJN here, and it used to be on BBCAmerica, but I don't have BBCAmerica, so I'm screwed anyway.

Neighbours, the Aussie soap, is on Oh! (Oxygen), but my cable provider doesn't provide that, or SoapNet (but SoapNet is pretty sh*tty anyway, they put Another World at an ungodly afternoon hour, and are gonna limit Port Charles and Ryan's Hope reruns to 1 a day instead of 2).

OLTL was pretty sh*tty the past year, what with the Santis and stuff, and now they've got Days's ex-headwriter, who wrote a pretty sh*tty year of Days (well, more like six months of sh*t in 2003). But that soap has a place so dear to my heart, probably because of Viki, Dorian, Nora, Bo, Lindsay, and a few others. ANTONIO SHOULD BURN IN HELL!

I wonder who the girl is you thought was beautiful on OLTL. Was it the ever-charming Melissa Archer (Natalie)? Or the two ever-annoying Bree Wiliamson (Jessica #2) or Jessica Morris (Jen)?

And just for kicks, an condensed history of my soap-watching:

All My Children: 1999-present, with a break from March 2003-May 2003 and August 2004-November 2004
As the World Turns: 1999-late 2001, April 2002-February 2003, November 2003-July 2004, sporadically since September 2004
The Bold and the Beautiful: 1989-1995 (I was little, so I don't remember much), a few months in 1997, sporadically from 1999-2001. I hardly watch the show anymore, but I know enough to know what's going on.
Days of our Lives: Summer 1999-Summer 2001, November 2003-May 2004 (Sadly, I was hooked because of the Serial Killer, then stuck around to see Alice alive)
General Hospital: 1999-late 2001, Summer 2002, April 2003-Summer 2003, September 2003-July 2004 (Technically, I wasn't a fan, but I was a watcher)
Guiding Light: 1999-present, though I haven't watched a full episode since...mid-November, when Philip was killed (those bastards...).
One Life to Live: 1999-2004, with breaks that sometimes stretched months at a time, and I doubt I'll ever go back.
Passions: The first 6 months. And that was all I needed to see.
The Young and the Restless: 1989-1995 (same as B&B, I was little). I've been keeping up with the show since 1999, but the only time I've ever been watching consistently was for a few months in 2003, April to June.

As for Canceled soaps:
Another World: In the Womb. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to watch this soap, and only learned more about it AFTER it was canceled.
Sunset Beach: Summer 1998-1999, basically the second half of the series, as it was January 1997 to December 1999
Port Charles: 1999-2003, my favorite arcs were "Tainted Love", "Secrets", and the little I saw of "Superstition".

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

I'm sure you rolled your eyes when you heard about Days next island storyline from this year. I don't mind Days being so bad since that's all I'm used to. I've been watching off and on from 2001-2003 and from the beginning of 2003 on, on a regular basis.

Train 48 is about a group of people who ride the train nightly from Toronto to Burlington. Every episode is only filmed hours before it airs and it's conversation and events that happen on the train. That might sound boring... and well it is for some since so many bash it but I think it has its charms and there isn't another show like it on TV. It was modelled after an Australian show.
Canada has two other 'soaps' still on the air. I say 'soaps' because they aren't daytime ones but more primetime ones with sex that look like daytime American soaps. One is called 'Paradise Falls' and the other 'Metropia', which actually has connections to OLTL. I think the creator was mentored by an old OLTL writer.

I've seen EastEnders a few times and I don't care for it much. My PBS station carries it. Corrie is on CBC here... no PBS carries that either.

I think Neighbours used to be on TV here but I don't see it anymore. PC was never on a Canadian net as far as I know and I remember seeing it on ABC affiliates. I never saw Another World but I knew of it. I've read up on soaps a bit because they can be fascinating with their massive histories.

Natalie is the one who I think is beautiful on OLTL. I think she's the hottest actress out there and the best thing about that is no one else (that I've seen) has said that so it's a good feeling. I like Bree Williamson and don't find her annoying but she's a second. I'm only warming up to the character of Jen now so it's not Jessica Morris. I wish Jen got the axe instead of Shannon but what can ya do...

I was one of the only ones out there that seemed to like the Santis. Well some stuff bored me like the hunt for the Santi money but I liked how mysterious Tico was and he was a villain I enjoyed hating. The only problem I have with OLTL was that they seem to be copying Days' storylines! They try and make them better and I usually think they turn out better on OLTL but its so tired. Right now the whole Todd kidnapping is copied but its the most interesting kidnapping.
Man that show has some really interesting characters.

I missed a lot of the early PC and only came on during Torn but I was aware of what happened before that. I normally don't like when soap operas stray into the supernatural but I loved it on PC even if it wasn't top notch. Kelly Monaco was always great to see too and she was one reason to keep tuning in daily. :)

Wow that was an interesting post. Maybe this will become 'The Soap Discussion' haha.
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

LOL, we have hijacked this thread, haven't we?

Both of us really did miss out a lot on PC's early years. Based on the histories I've read, the first year was basically ER-lite, with a group of interns at a hospital and their lives. In 1998, there was some "General Homicide" storyline that I never understood from reading, and it killed off some good peeps. 1999 I wasn't watching much of it, but enough to finally figure out it was set in the same place as General Hospital (silly me thought Port Charles was the name of the hospital, like Chicago Hope or St. Elsewhere). 2000 was a REALLY REALLY good year, one of my favorite characters was Dr. Rachel Locke (who previously was Nurse Sheila Carter on Y&R and B&B and is now Dr. Paige...someone on OLTL). The end of 2000 brought the "arcs", and the first one "Fate", was rather boring, and the second one "Time in a Bottle", was marginally better.

I still think "Tainted Love" was their best arc, and I'm glad I taped several episodes of it (including the last Nurses Ball).

Train 48 sounds rather interesting, but I don't think I'd ever watch it myself. Are they real people that they interview every night, or actors?

I've heard of Paradise Falls, and I'm pretty sure I read some articles about Metropia, but seeing as I live in NJ and don't get Canadian stations, I doubt I'd be able to watch them.

Natalie is definitely one of the most beautiful women in daytime. *swoon*

Ever since they recast Todd with TSJ, I've found him to be less annoying than Roger Howarth (who is now Paul on ATWT, and now I find Paul to be more annoying than ever). I wish I could watch OLTL for this Todd Kidnapping storyline, but I doubt I could sit through Antonio and John dominating the show. ANTONIO MUST DIE!!!

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I was hoping this would be about the sitcom SOAP. Oh well. Richard Mulligan, Katherine Helmond, Benson(can never remember how to spell his real name), Billy Crystal, Ted Wass. Funny stuff.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Cool, soaps have their own thread! :D

Well that's pretty close. It's like a soap sitcom parody so it works I suppose. :) I have seen the show a few times and I think it's hilarious.

Have you ever watched a daytime soap? You can admit it.... :) Do not be shy. :P
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

One summer over two decades ago, I became adicted to one when I should have been job hunting. I think it was the Young and the Restless but I am not sure. Aside, from that I watched Knots Landing a few time, but thats about it.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

Two summers ago, I used to watch Days of our lives and Passions every day with my mom. I used to like how Chloe with Brady and Belle with Shawn were so nice together. And on Passions, which was my favorite, I just loved Luis and Sheridin! They were so in love....I thought it was great......but then the stories got all twisted up and weird, so I stopped watching. My mom still likes to watch them though.
Image Image
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

I love Days of Our Lives and Passions i tape them every day!!!!
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Ah Days viewers. Niiice. :)

Sadly right now Brady is with Nicole because he believes Chloe is dead. In August she got into a horrific car accident that disfigured her so she told Nancy to tell Brady she died.

Brady mourned and Nicole was finally able to weasel her way into Brady's pants. As of right now they are together and Chloe is back in Salem for face reconstructive surgery. Now that's what I call a far-fetched soap but I still love it.

Shawn and Belle are no longer. Shawn is with Jan and Belle is with the meathead known as Philip. (what a dork)

I know you don't watch it now because it got twisted and weird and well... now you must think it's gone totally insane!
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

orestes wrote:Ah Days viewers. Niiice. :)

Sadly right now Brady is with Nicole because he believes Chloe is dead. In August she got into a horrific car accident that disfigured her so she told Nancy to tell Brady she died.

Brady mourned and Nicole was finally able to weasel her way into Brady's pants. As of right now they are together and Chloe is back in Salem for face reconstructive surgery. Now that's what I call a far-fetched soap but I still love it.

Shawn and Belle are no longer. Shawn is with Jan and Belle is with the meathead known as Philip. (what a dork)

I know you don't watch it now because it got twisted and weird and well... now you must think it's gone totally insane!

I totally agree. I totally hope that Brady comes to his senses soon. I am totally upset about Shawn and Belle. They should totally be together, i hope something goes wrong at Phillip's & Bell's wedding. I am also about all the missing people. When will they come home allready? And will Tony ever be stopped? Anyways it's nice to see another Days fan!!!!!
Grandmaster C
Limited Issue

Post by Grandmaster C »

I prefer Lever 2000 myself. ;)
<center>Image
Grandmaster C</center>
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

I hope the wedding is a disaster too. I'm hoping Philip is shipped out and doesn't return. He's got to be my least favourite character.

I like Shawn and Belle together too and I hope it happens again soon! I do hope they have a new storyline for Jan since I've really starting like that character.

I hope the missing people return home too although I'm kinda tired of Marlena and Roman. However Jack and Cassie are two of my favourites.

I'm wondering when Tony will be stopped too since I heard he is leaving the show for a while.

Yup it's nice to see other Days fans. I seem to run into more of them than any other show fan. I wish I would run into more OLTL fans since I love that show too. Right now I'm worried though since it looks like they are setting it up for a departure of some characters since they have a new head writer. I hope rumours are not true!
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Grandmaster C wrote:I prefer Lever 2000 myself. ;)

:lol:

when it comes to that kind of soap I prefer Irish Springs. (oh and Ivory is good too at times)
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Ahh, we got a new thread all for soaps! Yay!

As for the non-daytime serial soaps, I like Dove. Their ice cream is good too.

Anyways, I was able to catch the first 10 minutes or so of AMC, some good stuff. Kendall was such a sweetie to her niece Miranda (who is played by the cutest baby...boys. Yes, they have baby boys playing a girl. The sad thing is, they look more like girls than boys!). And Ethan should stop wearing sweaters. They just look...weird on him.

Lily was a joy today, and it was nice to finally see Livia again, even though I'm not a big fan of her new hairstyle. I hope Krystal and David get what's coming to them.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Wow this thread has been dead since the end of last year. I thought I'd revive it again to see if anyone wanted to talk about soaps again.

Today I've been having a lazy day trying to survive the heat. Hey I have central air but my room seems to be excluded! :P Anyways so I'm sitting here and making many posts and watching 'Days of our Lives' and 'One Life to Live' and I was wondering if any fans of the soap here have any comments on current storylines.

Days seems okay right now for being what it is but I'm not as glued to it at the moment.

As for One Life to Live I'm into it again after barely watching it through March and April. The whole Colson out of the closet/ murder thing is pretty interesting to me and my favourite characters are gettings tons of screen time.
The whole Jessica double personality thing is the storyline I mostly ignore.
chaychay102royal
Anniversary Edition

Post by chaychay102royal »

I watch a primetime soap Desperate Housewivesbut I personally think the daytime soaps are rather fake.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

I think it would be cool if they released some kind of "best of" DVD sets of certain soaps that could sum up what happens with different seasons, show memorable clips, have interviews with the stars, bonus features including the various opening sequences over the years, a history of the show, a "where are they now" for the stars that have since moved on, and all that jazz.

Although I haven't admittedly watched AMC for a good ten/fifteen years, I would love some kind of retrospective from the years I did watch it (back when Erica's daughter Bianca was born and later when Sarah Michelle Gellar played her).

God, I feel old. . . :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Sunset Girl on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

chaychay102royal wrote:I watch a primetime soap Desperate Housewivesbut I personally think the daytime soaps are rather fake.
Oh they are very fake but they are good escapist entertainment for some. :)