Tron 2.0: Killer App (PC, Xbox) Discussion

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
2099net
Signature Collection

Tron 2.0: Killer App (PC, Xbox) Discussion

Post by 2099net »

This thread is for discussing gameplay, presentation, hints, tips and secrets on Tron 2.0: Killer App on the PC and Xbox platforms. Tron 2.0: Killer App is also available in different format on the Gameboy Advance.

Image Image
Buy: Xbox
Buy: PC

This game has literally only been out for a month or two in the UK for the Xbox, but already it is being discounted to less than half-price in the January sales. I recently picked it up for £19.99 from a Game store.

It's a shame, but in this age of multiple game launches (especially round Christmas time), it's very easy for a decent game to be overlooked. This appears to be what has happened to Tron 2.0. There's nothing particularly wrong with Tron 2.0, it does everything competently enough. But sadly, it doesn't really do anything right.

The graphics are outstanding, bar the odd slowdown and jerky screen update when things get too busy. But they replicate the look of the film (with a more modern vibe) perfectly. Sadly, although I appreciated the graphics from the initial viewing of the game, it does take a while before you feel comfortable in the minimal, stylised environment. The lighting and "neon glow" (for want of a better description) effects are superb. Character and vehicle graphics are also spot on.

I am torn on the gameplay front. It's obvious that the designers attempted to do something different thanks to the opportunities given by the licence. But their ideas, while they may have looked good on paper, don't seem to be anything more than annoyances when playing the game. And for all their innovation, they don't really amount to anything different. Getting "access permissions" is just like getting coloured keycards to open door in Doom. The one idea that does work is how equipment and weapons can be infected with viruses, and need cleaning.

It's also very easy to find all of the levels looking the same, due to the fact that the environments all look the same. However, the same problem affects most 1st person shooters.

Loading times are incredibly slow on the Xbox.

I understand the Xbox game is significantly different to the PC version. However, both offer online multi-player options. I would love to hear some opinions on the PC version in this thread.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database