Rank the Harry Potter books

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Rank the Harry Potter books

Post by AwallaceUNC »

MMP and Castle In The Sky began to rank their faves in the DVD Art thread, and this is the first question I ask someone when I learn that they are a Potter fan, so now I'm asking all of you. (If we've done this before, my apologies):

For me, it goes:

Goblet
Phoenix
Azkaban
Sorcerer
ChamberOS

4 and 5 are very close, though

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

I have a feeling one of the two remaining books will end up being my fave. ;)

As it is, though, I think I prefer them this way...

Prisoner of Azkaban
Order of the Phoenix
Philosopher's Stone
Chamber of Secrets
Goblet of Fire

I know Azkaban the generic favorite, but I'm fine with that. :P Phoenix is a damn good read, too. They're pretty close, I'd say.
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

1. Deathly Hallows
2. Order of the Phoenix
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Half-Blood Prince
6. Chamber of Secrets
7. Sorcerer's Stone
Last edited by Disneykid on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

Hey its reverse chronological order! (just noticed :oops: )

They just keep getting better!
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space
Yuki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Yuki »

Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Phoenix
Philosopher's Stone
Chamber of Secrets

One reason Azkaban is my favorite is because my favorite character is introduced in it--Sirius Black! :P
Homer: Marge, I'm bored
Marge: Why don't you read something?
Homer: Because I'm trying to reduce my boredom

“Who cares about what's on the disc? I think Disney Guru's concern with the cover artwork is the most important thing.”
~Luke
PrinceAli
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PrinceAli »

All of her books are equally excellent in different ways, except maybe the first. So I'd have to go from longest to shortest.

Phoenix
Goblet of Fire
Prisoner of Azkaban
Chamber of Secrets
Sorceror's Stone (Or Philosopher's Stone, whichever)

I hope the 6th book is longer than the 5th, but I definately know the 7th is going to be the longest...she's not going to want to finish it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DDMAN26
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DDMAN26 »

I really love all five books and make a point of reading them all once a year:

Goblet of Fire
Prisoner of Azkaban
Order of the Phoenix
Sorceror's Stone
Chamber of Secrets
Most Anticpated: Watchmen Terminator Salvation Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Satoshi
Special Edition

Post by Satoshi »

Prisoner of Azkaban (by far)
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Phoenix
Sorceror's Stone
Chamber of Secrets

I wish Rowling would make the remaining books around the length of Prisoner of Azkaban. Goblet of Fire was okay but I felt that Order of the Phoenix had too much unimportant junk in it. There were so many subplots that it was hard for me to keep track of the main plot.

Maybe that's just me though.
DisneyGirl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyGirl »

I agree with the reverse chronological order...they just keep getting better! Though when it comes to rereading them, I reread 1-3 since they're the shortest.
DisneyGirl

Image After All These Years...& Still Wishing On Stars Image

My Collections
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

1.Phoenix
2.Goblet
3.ChamberOS
4.Sorceror's Stone
5.Azkabam
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Satoshi wrote:Goblet of Fire was okay but I felt that Order of the Phoenix had too much unimportant junk in it.
*Slight spoilers of books 4 and 5 ahead*

I actually thought that GoF had too much important junk in it, it took way too long to get to the Dark Mark chapter, which is where things truly start to take off. #4 remains my favorite, though, but not by much.

I've been a little worried that #5 may have had too much important junk in it, lol. We learned quite a bit more in that book than I had expected to, which makes me think that #6 may be scarce on information, instead of #5, as I had expected. I suppose she knows what she's doing, though, lol.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
4. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
5. Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
yoda_four
Special Edition

Post by yoda_four »

I personally, found #5 to be a let-down, although I'm not quite sure why. I guess to me #4 was so outstanding comapred to #5; i don't really know. My list:

Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Phoenix
Chamber of Secrets
Philosopher's Stone

#3 and #4 are quite close.
My Blog

- Paul
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

I really hate ranking things I like, and am always wary of choosing favorites, but I have to say that The Prisoner of Azkaban was the book that made me realize how awesome the Harry Potter series really was. The first two books were good, but hadn't been anything terribly special.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

GOBLET,PHOENIX,AZKABAN,PHILOSOPHER,CHAMBER, Goblet being the best IMO
Uncle Remus
Anniversary Edition

Post by Uncle Remus »

1. Prizoner of Azkaban
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Chamber of Secrets
4. Order of the Phoenix
5. Philosopher's Stone

one of the reasons I don't like the OotP because it was way too long and it had one of the worst eachers ever to be mentioned in a book. :x
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Order of the Phoenix (I really didn't like Harry in this one: he was just so mean)
(tied) 4. Chamber of Secrets/Philosopher's Stone (it seems that once I've seen the movies, I can't re-read the books. CoS used to be my favourite)
Defy Gravity...
PrinceAli
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PrinceAli »

awallaceunc wrote:
Satoshi wrote:Goblet of Fire was okay but I felt that Order of the Phoenix had too much unimportant junk in it.
*Slight spoilers of books 4 and 5 ahead*

I actually thought that GoF had too much important junk in it, it took way too long to get to the Dark Mark chapter, which is where things truly start to take off. #4 remains my favorite, though, but not by much.

I've been a little worried that #5 may have had too much important junk in it, lol. We learned quite a bit more in that book than I had expected to, which makes me think that #6 may be scarce on information, instead of #5, as I had expected. I suppose she knows what she's doing, though, lol.

-Aaron
I actually think it is the tremendous amount of detail she uses makes her books better. She is able to make long books stay interesting the whole way through. At least she kept ME interested. And I actually don't think we learned enough in book 5, and have so much more to learn. I mean seriously, she only has 2 books left to cover the fate of the entire wizarding world she has created. LOL

And Remus, most of us do think that Prof Umbridge is a horrible person. But isn't it amazing how Rowling was able to create a character that we have so much feeling for? I think that is one of her crowning achievements, character development. It was funny, as I was reading I was so pissed off I was saying I never hated any character more than Umbridge.LOL
Some people may not like the thought of a book that is extremely long and intimidating like that. But I just think of it as more of what JK Rowling does best. 8)
Uncle Remus
Anniversary Edition

Post by Uncle Remus »

PrinceAli wrote:
And Remus, most of us do think that Prof Umbridge is a horrible person. But isn't it amazing how Rowling was able to create a character that we have so much feeling for? I think that is one of her crowning achievements, character development. It was funny, as I was reading I was so pissed off I was saying I never hated any character more than Umbridge.LOL
Some people may not like the thought of a book that is extremely long and intimidating like that. But I just think of it as more of what JK Rowling does best. 8)
Well I'm glad that some other people also don't like this character as well :) but the reason I really hate it is because of what happens to one of the best characters at the end (if you know what I mean)
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

1= best

1. Goblet of Fire (by far)
2. Prisioner of Azkaban
3. Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone
4. Order of the Pheonix
5. Chamber of Secrets

I thought that Azkaban was basically a transition book. Though it is extremely fun to read. I thought Goblet, while I didn't think the title really was key to the story, it had the best story. Can't wait for Goblet movie. Bring on 2005!