Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

chaychay102royal wrote:
Timon/Pumba fan wrote:1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Chamber of Secrets
4. Sorcerer's Stone

I haven't read the other 2 yet. :oops:
Really? Head off to your local public library and check them out ASAP!
Don't need to. When I was on a road trip I saw both of the Harry Potter books I haven't read in a bag. They are my birthday presents and yet I know what they are about a month before.
chaychay102royal
Anniversary Edition

Post by chaychay102royal »

:lol: Okay, well, when they are officially given to you have fun reading and make sure to update your ranking list!
Gregorian Chant
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gregorian Chant »

1. Prizoner of Azkaban
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Sorceror's Stone
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Half-Blood Prince
6. Order of the Phoenix

I'd like to see a poll of all the answers given here to see where all the books rank.
Buffy: We have a marching jazz band?
Oz: Yeah, but, you know, since the best jazz is improvisational, we'd be going off in all directions, banging into floats... scary.
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

Gregorian Chant wrote: I'd like to see a poll of all the answers given here to see where all the books rank.
just go through it yourself giving each number 1, 6 points, each number 2, 5 points, and so on...
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space
TaleAsOldAsTime
Limited Issue

Post by TaleAsOldAsTime »

1. Goblet of fire
2.Order of Phoenix
3.Half-blood prince
4.Prisoner of Azkaban
5.Sorcerer's stone
6.Chamber of secrets
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Rank The Harry Potter Series

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I searched multiple times if there was already a thread for this, however, I could not find one. If I am wrong, please correct me. This is simply to rank the 7 novels in the order in which you found the most enjoyment. And, yes, ties are completely permitted.

1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Both of these novels were completely exceptional and by far were the best of the series. I found myself engrossed in both of them throughout their entireties. I have read Order of the Phoenix multiple times (the most read of the lot) and it's quite sad that most of the material that was presented in the novel did not make it to the film version, but, oh well. I have read Deathly Hallows only once (I will be reading this again, sometime) but it's affect on me was quite remarkable. I still don't like the epilogue, but that was Ms. Rowling's decision and we all have to respect that. Both of these novels were fantastic and I'm glad that I have both of them in my possession.

2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
At first, I didn't like this novel at all. I felt that this Half-Blood Prince character wasn't going to be essential (alas, I was wrong) and I really didn't see the point until I learned of the Horcruxes. But, after rethinking my thoughts, I decided that it was just as good as the previous novels and maybe even better than Goblet. It has become much better with my second reading and I couldn't wait for the seventh novel, so I read it again.

3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
This one was quite exceptional. I remember waiting a really long time from getting the first three (I purchased them all at the same time) and I couldn't wait to get my hands on the fourth one. There were so many different aspects and Voldemort finally came back after his disappearence in Azkaban. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. The TriWizard Tournament was quite a feat to read and, I'm sure, one to write.

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
In my mind, these two kind of run together. Even though they are completely separate, they're almost as if Harry and company had one really tough year. However, with multiple readings they are starting to come apart and be unique in their own ways. After Half-Blood Prince we finally saw the importance of Chamber of Secrets and I finally felt that the first two novels were quite important. However, there was little story when compared to Order and Hallows, so that's why they are at the lower end of my list.

5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I feel like this got the last spot simply because I have only read it two or three times. Plus, when I intially purchased it I was so confused by the time traveling aspect that I really didn't want to read it. Also, it had nothing to do with Voldemort and I kind of got bored because that was "supposed" to be the point of the series. When the film version came out, I finally understood what was going on and decided to read it again. I haven't picked up since that last reading but I think that I would enjoy it much more than my initial reading.

Your thoughts/opinions?
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

7. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I already ranked the books, but here is how I rank the films. I will not comment on all of them.

1.Prisoner of Azkaban - My favorite of the film series.

2.Goblet of Fire

3.Sorcerer's Stone

4.Half-Blood Prince - Like OotP, A lot of detail was left out/changed.

5.Chamber of Secrets - Just too boring for me. it's the longest of the series, which is good since it stays truer to the book.

6.Order of the Phoenx - Easily the weakest of the series. Too much was either left out or changed. It's still a good film though.
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

7. Chamber of Secrets
6. Sorcerer's Stone
5. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Deathly Hallows
3. Order of the Phoenix
2. Goblet of Fire
1. Half-Blood Prince
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Would a moderator please join this thread with the other? Please and thank you :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I already ranked the books, but here is how I rank the films. I will not comment on all of them.

1.Prisoner of Azkaban - My favorite of the film series.

2.Goblet of Fire

3.Sorcerer's Stone

4.Half-Blood Prince - Like OotP, A lot of detail was left out/changed.

5.Chamber of Secrets - Just too boring for me. it's the longest of the series, which is good since it stays truer to the book.

6.Order of the Phoenx - Easily the weakest of the series. Too much was either left out or changed. It's still a good film though.
I don't mean to nitpick, but how can you complain about HBP and OotP leaving stuff out then call PoA your favourite? The entire plot about the Marauders was scrapped, which really left us with a boring movie about fighting dementors.

Anyways, I'll rank the books now:

1. Deathly Hallows.
2. Half-Blood Prince
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Order of the Phoenix
6. Philosopher's Stone
7. Chamber of Secrets
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

1. Prizoner of Azkaban
2. Half-Blood Prince
3. Deathly Hallows
4. Goblet of Fire
5. Chamber of Secrets
6. Sorcerer's Stone
7. Order of Phoenix
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

1. Deathly Hallows
2. Half-Blood Prince
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Prisinor of Azkaban
5. Order of the Phoenix
6. Chamber of Secrets
7. Sorceror's Stone
Last edited by PeterPanfan on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

1. Deathly Hallows.
2. Half-Blood Prince
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Order of the Phoenix
6. Philosopher's Stone
7. Chamber of Secrets
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

I have not read the books, but there was another thread that got merged with this one in which PixarFan2006 ranked the films, and I wanted to post my rankings of the films. Since I haven't read the books (yet), these rankings have nothing to do with how well the books are adapted, and everything to do with simply how much I enjoyed watching the films, and their repeat value for me:

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
2) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
3) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
gap
4) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
5) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I obviously prefer the earlier films which were lighter in tone and really captured a more innocent sense of wonder of living in a world of magic, over the much darker 3 newer ones that have downbeat, depressing endings killing off beloved characters. Note that I am not criticizing the filmmakers for going in a darker direction, since the books themselves obviously become darker as the series progresses.

With the exception of Azkaban taking the top spot, I enjoyed the films the most in the order they came out.

Regarding the first two Chris Columbus-directed movies, I've seen some critics complain about how the scenes that just showed the students in class at Hogwarts "slowed the films down" and "didn't advance the plot", but I absolutely LOVED those type of scenes in those films as I found them to help give the films a sense of wonder and charm.

My interest in the series so far has peaked with Azkaban. Even though it was a little darker and less leisurely paced than the first two, I loved the ingenious time-turner concept, which was used to turn a potentially bleak and depressing ending into a soaring, uplifting one. Harry soaring off on Buckbeak after saving both him and Sirius is for me (so far) my favorite ending to any of the films, and an image that perfectly captures how I'd best like to remember the Potter films.
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Rank the Harry Potter books

Post by DVDBuff1 »

Prisoner of Azkaban
Order of the Phoenix
Chamber of Secrets
Philosopher's Stone
Half Blood Prince
Deathly Hallows
Goblet of Fire
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Rank the Harry Potter books

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ~ This is the book that always gets the greatest mental release out of me; I'm glad my favorite one was the longest. For those who don't like it, it must be quite a chore to get through. :lol: Not only are there more pages than the rest of the series, the text is smaller to boot.
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ This more than the others, you have to be in the right mood for. It's more dark and depressing than the others, naturally without all the school shenanigans. Still, I love it and I always thought it was a satisfying ending, barring the Epilogue. I still wish we'd got the Jane Austen-esque ending she said she always planned that sort of told you what happened to all the various characters; that would've been much better than the epilogue. :( Albus Severus is a very unfortunate name. :lol: I like to think he'd be called Albie as a nickname.
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ~ This one reads the easiest of the series. I could get through it all in pretty much one sitting, it's that much fun. The ending alone, I can't not read that altogether even though it goes on for 6-7 chapters.
4. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone ~ It has less character than the rest, since it's sort of setting the chessboard. Still, I can enjoy it for how tightly-written it is.
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ~ I've always disliked the beginning with the World Cup. It drags on. Whenever I get to this one, I try to rush through that part as quickly as possible. Then I usually get bored around the 2nd Task/Yule Ball. I've read this was the one she had the most trouble with, that she completely started from scratch a third of the way through or something. I've often noticed its story doesn't get called back to as much as the other books as the series goes on.
6. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ~ I know this is low on the list, but I don't dislike it at all. I guess I find Dobby and Lockhart more annoying than funny, and they both get heavy focus. The ending is satisfying though.
7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ~ I have a tendency of building my dislike of something up greater in my head than in reality. Every time I read this one now, I'm like, "Wow, this isn't as bad as I remember." :lol:

To speak on my own experience, I got into reading more in middle school with Phillip Pullman's The Golden Compass. Then I picked up Orson Scott Card's Homecoming and Ender's Game series. After that, I guess I noticed other people reading HP and it had commercials, and I decided to read it then (I picked up Narnia and LotR next, I believe). Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was the most recent book at the time; I'm still glad I didn't pick up the series for the first time until over half of it was done. So OotP was the first book in the series I anticipated before it was published. I can still remember everything about where I was when I first started reading it. I guess it hit me hard because it was the character's dark night of the soul and I was at the darkest point in my life at the time, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"