Thoughts About DVDizzy Forum Being Discussed Elsewhere?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Thoughts About DVDizzy Forum Being Discussed Elsewhere?

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This is not a discussion of the Encanto thread. It’s something I’ve noticed in the past, how this forum is talked about on other forums like we're all starring in our own movie. :lol: Apparently Twitter also? How creepy is that? Posters here talk about the company and its happenings here, but who knew the posters here are the show for someone else? So gross. This is exactly why I don’t post pictures, names, etc. And why I wouldn't have participated in Secret Santa back when the forum still did that. There are some psychos here.

The funny thing to me are the Spanish-speaking forums, there are a lot of users from here, methinks, bringing us up over there because they’re too cowardly to talk face-to-face here. :lol: While I’m shaky at speaking Spanish in person, I can read and write it just fine. I had around six classes in high school and four in college. What little worms. :lol:

Anyone else have thoughts? :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Re: Thoughts About DVDizzy Forum Being Discussed Elsewhere?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I had no idea people talked about us elsewhere. Are they nice? What the heck do they talk about?? I mean, it's a public forum, so it's not like a private site, so they have a right to dissect what we say... :lol:
Disney's Divinity

It's not illegal, no. It's just weird. :huh:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:How creepy is that? Posters here talk about the company and its happenings here, but who knew the posters here are the show for someone else? So gross. This is exactly why I don’t post pictures, names, etc. And why I wouldn't have participated in Secret Santa back when the forum still did that. There are some psychos here.
I have to admit it is a bit distressing having people dissect and scrutinize what you say here in other online places. It feels like a violation in some way. Not to mention, some people can be vindictive and dangerous. Imagine being doxxed or having someone contact your workplace because you said something they didn't like on a Disney forum. :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Disney's Divinity wrote:It's not illegal, no. It's just weird. :huh:
I agree- it's weird- I never would have thought that. But I'm confused...like people on other forums are like, "Oooh, did you see what Disney's Divinity, Sotiris, and blackcauldron85 talked about? Spill the tea!" Or are they like, "Oooh, THOSE members liked the movie, but we know that it's awful." I'm confused. :p
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I have to say— I don’t think it’s all that weird! I’ve lurked on boards where I got to know the personalities of the members and formed opinions of them before I joined said boards. There are whole subreddits and YouTube videos that detail forum and fandom drama in detail. When I post here, I sorta accept that there is an unseen audience out there who “knows” me (read: UmbrellaFish, the DVDizzy.com character) and I don’t know them. I’m okay with that.

On the other hand, it can be hurtful when people you don’t know or recognize talk about you online—even if it’s about your anonymous online persona. There was a troll that infiltrated a private Julie Andrews forum of which I was a member. They created a blog and they were clearly a bit unhinged but it still hurt my feelings when they made fun of one of my posts.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I haven't seen much discussion about these boards other than a couple of posts on Twitter or Tumblr, and usually from people who used to be active in here. I actually see this done about other forums more frequently, like Blu-ray.com, which is more known I guess, and there's someone there who stalks me and writes about me on his Instagram, so I decided to be anonymous on twitter as well (I wasn't previously).
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

Assuming they'll read this topic, here's something I always felt was juicy:
I once found a photo I'd posted here on a Grindr-like website, where it was used to catfish people. Discuss.

In all fairness though, nothing you post on the internet is ever private or safe. This serves as a good reminder of that. There's nothing illegal or immoral (subjective) here, though it may feel icky.
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
blackcauldron85

Nandor wrote:Assuming they'll read this topic, here's something I always felt was juicy:
I once found a photo I'd posted here on a Grindr-like website, where it was used to catfish people. Discuss.
My mind is blown. That is insane. :shock: :shock: Did you contact that site's Help Desk or something to let them know that your photo was being used?!?! I for sure used to post photos on here and this Off-Topic forum, especially in my younger years, had personal stuff that I wrote, but like everyone's saying, Internet does not equal privacy. I've been thinking of posting about new stuff in my life in the venting thread, but I'll need to be more careful and think before I type.
farerb wrote:there's someone there who stalks me and writes about me on his Instagram
Whhhhaaaaaa?!?!?!? That's super weird and creepy. :(
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: I have to admit it is a bit distressing having people dissect and scrutinize what you say here in other online places. It feels like a violation in some way. Not to mention, some people can be vindictive and dangerous. Imagine being doxxed or having someone contact your workplace because you said something they didn't like on a Disney forum. :lol:
I guess that was my first reaction, that it feels only a step removed from cyber-stalking.
blackcauldron85 wrote:I agree- it's weird- I never would have thought that. But I'm confused...like people on other forums are like, "Oooh, did you see what Disney's Divinity, Sotiris, and blackcauldron85 talked about? Spill the tea!" Or are they like, "Oooh, THOSE members liked the movie, but we know that it's awful." I'm confused. :P
I sent a link to Sotiris because they asked, but didn't want to post it on the board as if I was "calling out" someone. It's a Spanish-speaking forum. I may have my suspicions as to the identities involved though. Usually if there are comments somewhere else, they're not going to be nice. :lol: And many of them have a homophobic air to them at times. I've been called worse, but I guess I'm just struck by the cowardice more than anything. They'd rather say something insulting from a safe distance.
Nandor wrote:Assuming they'll read this topic, here's something I always felt was juicy:
rotfl

Yeah, I think it's immoral, but that's just me.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

This has been mentioned numerous times in the past, even many years back, but I was never sure what was discussed on those other boards.

I will be honest and admit to being very, very curious as to what is said on such boards. Is it ok to mention the boards in question so that I may have a looksie*? Or is it against forum rules or something?

*I sound like Kuzco.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
farerb wrote:there's someone there who stalks me and writes about me on his Instagram
Whhhhaaaaaa?!?!?!? That's super weird and creepy. :(
It was also disturbing to learn a while back that someone here has been following me around on blu-ray.com with a different username so I wouldn't recognize them, very creepy. I know that some members here are also a part of blu-ray.com, like myself, Jules, Duster, Jean... But we don't pretend to be someone else, I know it's not really equivalent to having a sock puppet, but it feels similar, makes me realize that we don't actually know who are the people behind the avatars and what kind of disturbed individuals they might be, sometimes makes me want to quit it altogether.
blackcauldron85

Did that person stop following you around there? :(
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Did that person stop following you around there? :(
No, unfortunately, and I can't really do anything about it other than avoiding them as much as I can. I really wish there was a block option in forums as well as the option to ignore.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Farerb wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:Did that person stop following you around there? :(
No, unfortunately, and I can't really do anything about it other than avoiding them as much as I can. I really wish there was a block option in forums as well as the option to ignore.
I'm also on Blu-ray.com and you can definitely add someone to your ignore list! Just go to any forum, click on "User CP," and then on the left-hand side there's a link for "Edit Ignore List." You can type in whoever you want and you'll stop seeing their posts.

I hope it's not me though, haha. My username over there is Namuhana, which I used way back in the day on Neopets of all places!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thank you, I am aware about the ignore option, but I meant that I don't want them to see my posts as well as not wanting to see their posts, and there's no such option.

Nice to know you're also there, added you to my friends list :)
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Farerb wrote:Thank you, I am aware about the ignore option, but I meant that I don't want them to see my posts as well as not wanting to see their posts, and there's no such option.

Nice to know you're also there, added you to my friends list :)
Oh, I completely misunderstood. Sorry! :smack: Yeah, I guess they'd have to add you to their ignore list...
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity

TheSequelOfDisney wrote: I'm also on Blu-ray.com and you can definitely add someone to your ignore list!
That option exists on most forums. I've had an account there for several years to get information on bargains on Amazon and Target with anime and so on. That's where the news about the DMC releases for Tangled, Chip N Dale, and Snow White first came from. I think I once used that forum to connect people over to DisneyMania when this forum went down. I believe I've seen Disney Duster there, since his username is similar to the one here (Dusty or something), but I contact him here if I wanted to talk to him since I rarely post over there. I also post on a Kingdom Hearts forum, btw.

Thankfully I've never seen anyone talking about people on DVDizzy over there because they're too scared to say it to them here... I have seen that happen in some other places online though. Check out foro del habelmos de Disney, for example. Sotiris said people from here have been talked about on Facebook before, too, but I never really used FaceBook, and stopped altogether after 2016.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Personally I do not like the "ignore" option.

To be fair, I have never needed it, but if I got into a real brawl with somebody online I would want to know what they're writing and not wind up blissfully unaware of all the talk "behind my back."

It may be unpleasant, but there's no way around it.

Agreed it must be pretty creepy to know somebody is trying to deceive you with a different username. It's disappointing, because I would have hoped nobody in our community here would do such things.