Where is Everyone?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Where is Everyone?

Post by Farerb »

All those resurrected threads made me wonder what happened to everyone who used to be more active in this forum? Where did everyone go? And why did they leave?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Where is Everyone?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I miss a bunch of members. I can't speak on anyone's behalf, but I know some went off to college and adult life probably took over their time. On the flip side, those of us that were in college back in the day while being members probably had adult life take over. I know I wasn't too active maybe the end of 2010 to at least 2012, maybe later, due to work, divorce, social life, and grad school.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, farerb, I know that Escapay and Elladorine had reasons they left that may indicate what happened. Back in the 2000's and 2010's, this was the place to go for Disney movie news, pretty much. Especially home video news. Escapay and Elladorine said that this was their #1 place for Disney, but then, they were able to go to the parks, and meet people in real life to talk about Disney instead of here. I also think social media had something to do with it? And Disney doesn't really do much for home video now, so...yeah, all those reasons may be why so many people left.

Plus, this place has been nasty to a lot of people. That also probably drove a lot of people away. I am guilty of being rather mean to people as well.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I'm an old-school member and still lurk from time to time but very rarely post. I haven't "left" as I still like to keep up on Disney-related news, but it's difficult to post on here when 1) most of my other favorite forum members indeed have left and 2) most of the conversations have become circular, vapid, uninteresting, and insubstantial. The quality of discussion and comradery has essentially disappeared. And that's no one person's fault or anything, but more of a gradual decline. But when it's the same 5 or 10 people posting every single new post, I just wonder "What's the point of me staying?"
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

^ Yeah, it doesn’t help that there’s a glitch keeping fresh blood from joining the place. I know everyone is probably the same in that they have their own interests and opinions that don’t really change, so it does get to be circular at times. *shrug* I've stuck around for the news. People come and go, Disney executives come and go, but the news / info will keep going.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:I'm an old-school member and still lurk from time to time but very rarely post. I haven't "left" as I still like to keep up on Disney-related news, but it's difficult to post on here when 1) most of my other favorite forum members indeed have left and 2) most of the conversations have become circular, vapid, uninteresting, and insubstantial. The quality of discussion and comradery has essentially disappeared. And that's no one person's fault or anything, but more of a gradual decline. But when it's the same 5 or 10 people posting every single new post, I just wonder "What's the point of me staying?"
So people having opinions and favorite movies different from yours means you think it's uninteresting or insubstantial?! >:(
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

^^ I think Sequel may be a bit frustrated by the fact that many discussions can go around in circles.

Something that has certainly changed here, and that Sequel alluded to, is the "fun factor." This place was not only where we got the latest Disney news and discussion, but also thrived on humour. Lots and lots of it!!

We laughed.

Hard.

Whether it was the SotS lace collar, or a certain someone's preference for going pantsless, or the hilarity of being WISTed, or the avatar wars, or the Milk Buds ... it was endless!

I have a couple of stories of my own to share (with those who were not members here at the time.) And I've long wanted to create a "Nostalgia Thread" and share the stuff I still have saved. I should get down to it, lol.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Disney Duster wrote:So people having opinions and favorite movies different from yours means you think it's uninteresting or insubstantial/! >:(
I didn't say that at all. People are obviously welcome to share their opinions. My problem, as Jules guessed correctly, is that many conversations circle back to the exact same thing between a handful of people. That outcome becomes uninteresting to read. It's just not fun to see the same thoughts on the same things all the time. I update my book list on the "What are you reading" thread and that's about where I stay most of the time.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok Jules and TheSequelofDisney. Well, if you don't like the same stuff we like, I guess you would feel like what we say goes in circles.

Jules, I would love to see that stuff!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Well, it's Summer! I'll find some time to finally create that Nostalgia Thread. :) However, be warned that you'll probably remember everything I'll post quite well, Duster. Hope it won't be a letdown. :oops:

Admittedly I look forward to unearthing those old Portrait Series avatars from 2006 to 2008. :lol:
blackcauldron85

^ :pink: Yessssss Portrait Series!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I have to say, though, that I feel the forum has become a lot more active lately— maybe solely due to the pandemic, but still. I wish new members could register.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I know lots of people who wanted to join this site but couldn't because of the glitch. I don't understand the glitch very much but surely someone could reach out to Luke and see if he can fix the glitch.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I have to say, though, that I feel the forum has become a lot more active lately— maybe solely due to the pandemic, but still. I wish new members could register.
I actually feel the opposite. When I first came here there seemed to be more active members and now either they're gone or come once in a while. I also think it doesn't help that new content isn't being released, it's been four months since the last theatrical release.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I will look forward to seeing your old stuff Jules!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:I have to say, though, that I feel the forum has become a lot more active lately— maybe solely due to the pandemic, but still. I wish new members could register.
I actually feel the opposite. When I first came here there seemed to be more active members and now either they're gone or come once in a while. I also think it doesn't help that new content isn't being released, it's been four months since the last theatrical release.
What's interesting is that when Frozen came out, there was endless discussion about it for years almost. Frozen II came out and after a week or two, the thread was pretty much dead and there wasn't much conversation beyond the new Disney+ series now.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

JeanGreyForever wrote:I know lots of people who wanted to join this site but couldn't because of the glitch. I don't understand the glitch very much but surely someone could reach out to Luke and see if he can fix the glitch.
Last time I talked with Luke, he thought that I could no longer access the site and he felt bad, (I said I had a little trouble resetting my password, but that Sotiris helped me), like there is a glitch that no one can access. I can reach out to him, though, and verify.

*edit* I just reached out to him; hopefully I remember what thread this was in to respond!!

*edit* Luke got back to me + said:
Luke wrote:As far as I know, people can register but there isn't any way for me to activate the new accounts.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I know lots of people who wanted to join this site but couldn't because of the glitch. I don't understand the glitch very much but surely someone could reach out to Luke and see if he can fix the glitch.
Last time I talked with Luke, he thought that I could no longer access the site and he felt bad, (I said I had a little trouble resetting my password, but that Sotiris helped me), like there is a glitch that no one can access. I can reach out to him, though, and verify.

*edit* I just reached out to him; hopefully I remember what thread this was in to respond!!

*edit* Luke got back to me + said:
Luke wrote:As far as I know, people can register but there isn't any way for me to activate the new accounts.
Oh that's a pity. I'm glad you were able to reach out to him though so thank you for taking the time to do so!
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

No problem! I don't know anything about webmastering, but I would have guessed that whatever host (?) this site uses should have an email address to assist?

:(
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:Escapay and Elladorine said that this was their #1 place for Disney, but then, they were able to go to the parks, and meet people in real life to talk about Disney instead of here. I also think social media had something to do with it? And Disney doesn't really do much for home video now, so...yeah, all those reasons may be why so many people left.
I prefer not being spoken for, so even though what's said above is true, I'd rather in the future that it be quoted from the source rather than typed from memory:
Escapay, two years ago wrote:I've largely traded talking with UD members on the forums for other means of communication (usually real life or social media) because most of the UD members I talk to have left the forums, and the ones I still maintain contact with I actually see outside the forums. I've got plenty of old-school UD members on Facebook (with some overlap on Twitter), but really, I usually just communicate regularly with a handful in real-life and that's pretty much replaced most of my forum time.

Albert (who, with this post, has reached the palindromic post count of 12421)
Alby (who, with this post, doesn't have a palindromic post count but a nice repeating one of 12525)
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?