How's Everyone Doing?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: How's Everyone Doing?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

DVDBuff1, is someone going to call you, or how are you making sure you get Dose 2? I'm so glad you got Dose 1, though.

Disney's Divinity, I'm happy that your dad's getting it- that's huge. Sucks about your mom, but yay for dad.

I heard about the South Park episode before it aired and would like to see it but haven't yet.
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

^ Well I won't get Dose 1 for another 5 hours, but I'm sure they'll set a date for Dose 2 once I get Dose 1.
blackcauldron85

I was so excited that you *would be* getting the shot, that I totally missed that you hadn't gotten it yet! Sorry about that! :oops:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Golly, I’ve been busy this week! Amy I’m glad your vaccine didn’t cause you too much discomfort! I’m glad Disney’s Divinity’s dad is getting the vaccine— I’m having the same problem with my own father as you are with your mother. We had a really bad fight over it this week actually. I’m glad DVDBuff1 got their’s, too! The White House wants to make every American adult eligible for the vaccine by May 1st so hopefully all the Americans at UD who want the vaccine can get it relatively soon!!!

As for my reaction to the second dose, I was probably less sore than I was from the first shot (which itself didn’t make me very sore). I don’t think I even had any arm pain at all yesterday.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm sorry you fought, UmbrellaFish, but I can understand. I try not to argue over things anymore, because it wouldn't change anything; it's been very freeing in a way. My mother has a debilitating illness on top of being in her late fifties. I can only imagine with something that bad, as well as her age... Well, COVID affects everyone differently, but I think it would be very dangerous for her. She would likely be able to jump to the front of the line if she actually had any interest in getting it. :/
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am sorry about your dad, Brelly, but I am so glad you haven't felt bad from the shots!
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I’am glad Lucy is getting better, cauldron

I’am sorry you have Parents being that way, Divinity and Fish

All the best with everyones vaccinations
blackcauldron85

Thank you, Rose!! <3 Sometimes Lucy's belly looks more bloated than other times, so I'm not quite sure what's going on, but we know that we can look into getting an ultrasound if need be.

UmbrellaFish & Disney's Divinity- it sucks when you have the other person's interests in mind, truly, and you seem to care more about that person than they do themselves. I think that the pandemic has been trying times for so many families, and I'm sorry that you and yours can't see eye-to-eye. It must be so hard having to live with people that you just can't relate to on that level. My dad told me last week that my uncle told my grandmother not to get the shot, and my dad said that he had my grandmother put my uncle on the phone (unfortunately, my religious, conservative uncle (the only outlier like that in my family [not including my husband's family- they're all conservative except maybe his youngest brother and my husband, sort of]) can't support himself so he lives with my grandmother), and my dad yelled at his brother- he said he hadn't yelled at someone like that since I was a teenager and he caught me driving fast. :p My grandmother did end up getting her first dose, thank goodness.

My husband's been visiting his kids and his brother and his family, and his mom and grandmother have been there part of the time. His uncle died from Covid, and his family just does not take precautions, and of course he's not masking there, and I'll have to wear a mask for two weeks when he comes back. My dad said that the Moderna vaccine is 80% effective after Dose 1 (I have not looked it up to verify his claims), so he said I can feel a little more protected. I know that people feel the need to see their families, but when visiting others is a risk to themselves and yourself...I just wish people would stay in their bubbles as best they can. It's still scary times out there.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am sorry your uncle said that Amy! And that your husband is still not being safe! Like, is he even thinking of you? But who am I to talk when I've visited people without masks. Yes, it's true, old Disney Duster has been a bit of a dumb jerk with this virus, not being as careful as he should be. Still, you seem more susceptible to the virus, aren't you Amy? Or maybe I'm misremembering. Anyway, here I am balking at what your husband does when I do the same. Well, he still shouldn't do it! I am sorry your husband's uncle died from the virus. That's sad. I would think that would make him be even more careful, but I guess not.
blackcauldron85

Thank you- there’s other drama with him too that I won’t get into. Already I don’t see eye-to-eye with my uncle’s beliefs, but we’ve always had a good relationship, but I’m incredibly upset with him and honestly I don’t want anything to do with him (he was very rude to another uncle, and I’m sure to others in the family, too).

My friend, my feelings toward you haven’t changed, but may I ask why you haven’t been masking? Yes, I have asthma, so that’s why I was able to get my first dose already. I have to take medicine daily, because of allergies + asthma, so for me, I don’t want another respiratory illness, one that I can try and prevent, you know? I’m sure that I’ve met my husband’s uncle- we really don’t have much to do with that side of the family, but we have years ago visited that side, so I don’t remember him but I’m sure I’ve met him (there were a lot of people at those get-togethers). And his uncle’s wife is a NURSE, but apparently she said that the community she works in (which is The Villages, basically a retirement community) hasn’t had Covid bad, so they didn’t take it seriously. Ugh. Like, to be educated enough to be a nurse, but to be taking risks with your life. I just can’t wrap my head around it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yeah well you don't need to ever do anything with that uncle.

My friend, thanks for your concern over my mask-wearing. The reason I didn't mask with my friends was because I was never physically close to them. I know I still should have worn a mask, but I just felt that was an extra step I didn't absolutely need to take.

Wow, yes, how did that uncle pass by being so unsafe with a nurse for a wife and being in a nursing home?!
blackcauldron85

Thank you- obviously you didn't/don't owe me any explanation, but I was just wondering- I want you to be safe!

Well, my husband's uncle was not in a nursing home- the whole town (it's really considered a "census-designated place") "is America's premier Active Adult Retirement Community located in sunny central Florida." It's basically a small town where you need to be 65+ or whatever the age limit is. But I agree, with having a nurse as a spouse/in the family and not making wise decisions...Last July, when my husband's kids and his mother (not the kids' mom, my mother-in-law!) visited (and I took my Covid test a few days after they got there because I didn't feel good- I was negative), all of them went to the beach, with this same uncle and aunt. And I know none wore masks. I hate that my husband takes so few precautions, and you've set it- it feels like he doesn't take enough care with me. Even if I wasn't extra-prone to it, people can be young and healthy and die of it. Everyone should take precautions. I know I get on my soapbox about it all the time, but it frustrates me.

This article was recommended to me in one of my apps this morning, and I sent it to my husband, highlighting "According to a later report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the August 7 wedding in the Millinocket region was ultimately linked to the infection of 177 people. Seven of them died, none of whom actually attended the event itself." It's a long article, but how a wedding with 50 people spread throughout parts of a state, with teachers and nursing home attendees getting it, passing it along to nursing home residents. That's why people really need to worry- even if they don't care about their health or their family's health, it can pass to vulnerable people. But people who don't care about their own family's health won't care about others. I'll get off my soapbox- I know I come across as a Covid Witch, and maybe I am, but I just don't understand people anymore.

The Maine Event
https://www.elle.com/life-love/a3579599 ... r-wedding/
blackcauldron85

a) DVDizzy has been awfully slow this morning. I hope it stays okay!
b) Sorry for the double-post.
c) I just got the Inside the Magic newsletter, and:

“Never Coming Back,” Says Celeb After Mask Dispute at Disney
https://insidethemagic.net/2021/03/cele ... ispute-ad1

What do you guys think? I know that I am the Heartless Corona Witch™®, but I am on Disney's side on this one. Disney is private property. No one has the "right" to go to Disney (as in you have the right to breathe, the right to a lawyer, but not the right to go onto private property without following the rules). Disney's #1 job during this time (and I mean, really, anytime) is to keep people safe. No one has the right to smoke cigarettes around a Disney Park unless you are in a designated smoking area. No one has the right to assault Disney cast members. So if you don't like those rules, don't go to the Park. Same with the mask rules. The rules are to keep everyone safe, not to infringe on anyone's freedom. So sorry, little kid, that you don't like to wear a mask, but a) If you are allowed to not wear a mask, it opens Pandora's Box into "You let that kid-above-2-years-old wear a mask, so I get to go without a mask," and b) It's a safety thing. What if that person (no matter if 6 years old or 26 or 56 or 96) has Covid and doesn't know it and spreads it? It's a safety-first situation, and I am with Disney on this one. Says the Heartless Corona Witch™®. I'm curious as to you guys' take on it.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It is hard to tell, but I think one of those people is one of my former managers. If it is them, they were always very kind and personable, and very good at their job. I feel so bad that some rich person with a platform has decided to sic their anti-mask mob on them in the comments.

If you cannot abide by the rules, do not go to a theme park. Disney World will still be open when it’s safe to go maskless again. And when you do go, treat the workers there with a little respect.
blackcauldron85

Very well said!! Why do people think they are entitled? The virus doesn't care if you have money! And I hope those cast members who were doing their job aren't going to get extra harassment. Very sad.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, it's all right Amy. And you are not the Covid Witch! I am so sorry how your husband is.

I agree with Disney. Don't wear a mask, don't come to the park.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, as far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't even be able to go inside a grocery store or gas station without following the rules, much less a theme park where families are. I live in the South though, so I get to live in amazement just watching the selfishness of people. Even after I have got one of the vaccines, I'm still going to have to worry because you can still be a carrier and give it to someone who hasn't had the vaccine (so my mother, my pet that's 10+, etc.). I remember watching a bunch of funny YouTube videos last year of "Can I speak with your manager?" Karens throwing hissyfits when they were asked to leave stores for not following protocol. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Thank you, Duster! <3
Disney's Divinity wrote:Well, as far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't even be able to go inside a grocery store or gas station without following the rules, much less a theme park where families are.
This. So. Much. When grocery stores have the signs ("You must wear a mask to come in") but people disregard them without any disciplinary action for fear of retaliation is just disrepectful & disgusting. Why does ANYONE think they don't have to follow the rules? You're not special, Karen. You're gross. Put on a damn mask and keep your own germs. Ugh. I'm glad that you care so much about your family, Disney's Divinity!!
blackcauldron85

(Very long story for not much, sorry!!) I took today and tomorrow off from work for my birthday. I discovered that we have a local Oil & Vinegar store, and I wanted to get myself something. I've only ever bought the fancier oils and vinegars online, but I knew that the stores selling these products offer tasting. The store that I have previously bought online from (I've never been there; it's on the other side of the country) offered tastings pre-Covid. But our local store offered it. There were a couple other people, one in the very back at a table (I don't know if it's a restaurant, too) and then a guy came in and sat at what appeared to be a bar. There was one employee on the floor, and more in the back. When I told the employee what I was looking for, she offered samples. I mentioned that I don't like taking my mask off or something, and she said something like "We don't care about masks here unless you do." Which has given me anxiety and a bad feeling all day. (She did not wear a mask, the employee that later helped did not, and I believe the other 2 customers did not.). I did take my mask off, drank a sample, and put it right back on (for a few samples). The samples were the tiniest 1/3 of an actual sip, and I'm pretty sure I tried not to breathe)... It probably wasn't the smartest move. My dad said that the first dose of the vaccine we took is 80% effective, so that's comforting, but maybe I should have declined the samples, or gone even in a week or so, after Dose 2. (Also, she couldn't figure out the credit card machine and I need to make sure I only got charged once.). Maybe I should have ordered online from the other store...

On another note, I went to a few stores to just run all my errands today (dog food, produce store, Oil & Vinegar, grocery store). At the grocery store, there was a customer in a wheelchair whose service dog (looked like a hound mix to me!!) had a deformed front right leg/paw, where it was curved, and the dog was walking like that. It made my heart happy to see that this dog was bringing so much helpfulness. I don't mean that in a bad way at all- I'm amazed at all service dogs. I, too, have a hound with a gimp leg, so it was really meaningful for me to see.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Happy Birthday Amy!!! Sorry about your anxiety and the way those people were with masks.You should be ok, I hope you feel better. That's so cute about that dog!