How's Everyone Doing?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
MerPrincessJamie
Limited Issue

How's Everyone Doing?

Post by MerPrincessJamie »

I just wanted to check in on everyone to see how everyone doing with the pandemic and all.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: How's Everyone Doing?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm extremely grateful that my husband and I are still working, from home. I left home for the first time in a month last weekend, because 2 of my dogs get monthly shots at the vet. So that was really scary, but so far I haven't shown any symptoms. I have asthma, so I really don't want to get sick. My husband does have to go to the post office to collect mail once a week for his job, and he has gone to the grocery and hardware stores. I'm grateful that he's willing to go out (otherwise I'd try a food delivery service, I suppose, but I've heard about their waiting lists...), but I don't want him getting sick (and he gets sick and I get sick...). Two of his family members have already had the coronavirus, and they're local to me. My friend who lives in New York's uncle passed away from it, and that's horribly sad.

:(

How're you doing, Jamie!?!
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Hi

I'am sorry about your friend's Uncle, cauldron. I hope your Husband's relatives pull through and that you manage to avoid the Virus

I hope you and your Family are alright as well, Jamie

As for Me - I've had to temporarily stop my volunteer work serving refreshments at a retirement hostel. They haven't had any cases as far as I know but they're understandably not taking any risks. I've been at home with my Parents, my Sister and our Dog. My Mum had to be tested for COVID-19 when diagnosed with Bronchitis. She tested negative and she hasn't needed hospitalising but it's still been a worry. We're having Whatsap conversations with my Brother (who's in Canberra while we're in Sydney) but we're nonetheless missing him being able to come over. My Sister is leaving tomorrow for the house she was renting with a Friend on the other side of the City. It will be the same with her as it is with my Brother. My Dad, Brother and Sister have been working from home and my Mum (who has a senior position at a phone counselling service) has mostly been working from home. I lack paid work which is a downer but I have plenty of support. My mood is fluctuating. My optimisim is going up but I'am still very sad about the situation and bit concerned about where it could go

All the best :star:
blackcauldron85

Hi Rose! I think safety first is the way to go with your volunteer work, since that's such an at-risk population; I'm so, so glad that they haven't had any cases yet...so many are. :(

I'm really happy that your mum tested negative, but how's her bronchitis doing? I'm concerned, too, about what will happen next. There's just so much conflicting information, some wanting to reopen things now, some saying not for months, saying that this winter there could be flu + Covid...scary times.

And thank you for your kind words. My husband's family couldn't get tested, but it's been weeks now and they are feeling good...but they keep hanging out!! I keep getting invited and I keep telling them I'm social distancing because of my asthma! :angry: Stop passing the virus to each other, you know?!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

MerPrincessJasmine, I am well, I hope you are all right! Thanks for checking in on us!

Me and my parents all still are working, thankfully! I luckily work at a grocery store! I just wish I could see my family and friends, you know? Though I see my parents at home and I love that.

Amy, I am sorry about your friend's uncle! I am sorry about your husband's relatives, too, but I am with you, they need to stop mingling with others!!! I am glad you and your husband are still working, Ames!

Rose Dome, I am sorry you aren't working, but glad you have support and have people to be with! I am sorry about your brother and sister. I am glad your parents can still work, and give you money, or pay for stuff!
blackcauldron85

^ Thanks, DD! <3 I'm so glad you're still working! My brother also works at a grocery store, and he said that fights have broken out because the customers are getting too close to each other. :evil: Are customers behaving in your store?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I haven't seen a fight, but we have called in security guards either because there was fighting or just in case there will be fighting!
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Thanks for the concern and sympathy

Amy - I'am glad your in-laws are well. It's too bad they aren't more keen on being cautious. My Mum's got an inhaler along with a neck balm. She's coughing just a little less frequently or heavily each day.

Duster - I hope you've been given medical protection at work. The situation with my Siblings is indeed tough. In my Brother's case it's tough because he's been away for longer and being in a close but different Juristiction might have him required to stay away for longer. He used to come over every second or third weekend and his Girlfriend sometimes came over as well but neither has been over for a solid Month now. In my Sister's case it's tough because she was staying with us. She had been coming over one Evening a Week (before the Pandemic) but she and the friend she rents with agreed that they wanted to stay with Family for the time being. Our constantly occupied house didn't have many spaces in which she could work (despite being bigger than her rental) so it makes sense that she would want to be based in her rental again for variety. Being in the same juristiction, she could return soon. We're still all conversing long distance. I do have quite a bit of money saved from when l had paid work and I am set up with a Goverment support service but it's sad being unable to contribute to Society.

The store fighting is dissapointing

Best Wishes
Sophie
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, Rose Dome, I am sorry about your siblings having spent so much time with you and now they can't so you must really miss them. But I am glad you are long-distance talking! That's what I do with the people I can't see, too! I ma glad you have a lot of money saved up, that's wonderful!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’m here. I took a bit of a break from the forum last week, I guess. I’ve been very depressed lately and sad, but I took steps to make myself feel better which helped. Feeling sad again right now though.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Aw, UmbrellaFish! Staying connected to you guys on this forum always makes me feel better. I hope we can help in that way! I hope you feel better soon!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thanks, Duster. I feel better this morning. :)
blackcauldron85

Hey UF, I'm really sorry that you've been depressed. But I'm super proud of you for taking those steps to feel better. <3 I/We are here for you if I/we can help in any way.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thanks, Amy, I appreciate your kind words.

I baked homemade white bread today! It turned out well! I’ve been doing a lot of baking at home. I’ve never made anything with yeast before so it been exciting although I’ve definitely had my share of failures.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, making homemade bread yourself! I can't do that, but my mom loves cooking and does that sometimes. Isn't homemade white bread the best? I'm so glad you've had a lot of successes with your baking!
blackcauldron85

I've heard of there being yeast shortages, so that's awesome you found some! I love that people are quarantine baking or however it's being called. I love talking about food: are you making sandwiches with it, are you making French toast- what're you doing with all your bread?! My husband had made yeast free bread a few times, and he loved it but it hurt his tummy a little (we both have GI issues; I couldn't eat any because I can't digest gluten right)...

Look what WDWNT just posted: Disney has masks for sale and they'll be donating masks and donating $ sold from the masks!! We already bought masks but for those who haven't, it's great:

SHOP: shopDisney Debuts New Line of Disney Protective Face Masks; Now Available for Pre-Order https://wdwnt.com/?p=283283
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Those masks are great!

With the bread I sliced it to make grilled cheese sandwiches with a homemade tomato soup I made for dinner. It was hard to make even slices— now I understand why they say “it’s the best thing since sliced bread!” haha. My family really liked it and I thought it tasted good, too. I put some leftovers in the toaster this morning for my breakfast (I eat leftovers for breakfast a lot) and it was really good that way, too— it reminded me of the grilled cheese uncrustables which I don’t think they make anymore.

The first recipe I tried was “no-knead bread,” which turned out fine but wasn’t as tasty to eat as the white bread because it was very hard and crusty. I ended up slicing this loaf to make garlic bread for a spaghetti dinner.

I tried dinner rolls next. That took two attempts. The first time the rolls did not rise and it was very disappointing— like Play Doh. The second time, they turned out beautifully! My family liked the way they tasted, but I wish they’d been fluffier. They were good, but just a little bit too dense in my opinion.

As for stuff that doesn’t call for yeast, I made banana bread for the first time. I used a recipe with chocolate chips and then made a peanut butter glaze to drizzle on top and it. was. delicious.

I’ve tried to make Levain style chocolate chip cookies (https://images.app.goo.gl/PvEHUBisn5sPzRKW9 ) twice now but every time that end up spreading instead of staying “clumpy.” They taste fine, but they’re not the way I want them. I’m going to try a different recipe next time.

The very first dough recipe I tried in quarantine was for noodles. I wanted to make chicken alfredo for dinner but we didn’t have any fettuccine noodles. I’m glad it was my first recipe because it was so easy! And it tasted like store bought noodles which I consider a success haha. I always thought making noodles would be a really arduous process (and I’m sure the more complex variations are) but I was happy that my first attempt was so easy.

I want to try pretzels next!
blackcauldron85

Did you consciously do anything differently the 2nd time you made dinner rolls or it was just a fluke the first time?

Grilled cheese + tomato soup = <3 I've never heard of Levain cookies, but those look delish; I hope you find a good recipe. I'm super impressed that you made homemade pasta!!!

I made pumpkin + apple cobbler (both fruits in the one cobbler) and it was yummy, but it wasn't a special quarantine thing; I would have made it anyway. I also made biscuits (human biscuits, not dog!) out of almond flour, and it was nice having biscuits again (due to my gluten intolerance).
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Did you consciously do anything differently the 2nd time you made dinner rolls or it was just a fluke the first time?
I tried a whole new recipe, which was also much simpler to follow for a beginner working with yeast— the first recipe may have turned out if I knew what I was doing with it.
I've never heard of Levain cookies, but those look delish; I hope you find a good recipe.
I never had either until I saw someone make a recipe on Reddit and they looked so good! My baby sister made a big batch of her own cookie dough recently and there’s gobs of it in the freezer so it looks like I won’t be trying a different recipe for Levain cookies anytime soon!
I made pumpkin + apple cobbler (both fruits in the one cobbler) and it was yummy, but it wasn't a special quarantine thing; I would have made it anyway. I also made biscuits (human biscuits, not dog!) out of almond flour, and it was nice having biscuits again (due to my gluten intolerance).
Ooh had you made the cobbler before? I think I’ve only had peach cobbler but it is so delicious, especially warm with ice cream— although I end up paying for the dairy later... When did you discover your gluten intolerance? I’ve heard people talking about always having tummy aches after eating food with gluten and then years realizing what the issue is.
blackcauldron85

^Yes, I've made all sorts of fruit cobblers before! It's really simple and very tasty!

As far as the gluten, I always would get horrible stomach aches; I've quit jobs (including WDW) over it. When I was younger, my parents never took me to the doctor for it; they didn't take it seriously. And it wasn't until I was working in a grocery store in 2013, and that store had a gluten free section. I talked with some customers buying the food, asking what the deal is, and they mentioned Celiac, or stomach pain, or whatever their story was, so I tried some, and it changed my life. I still get stomach aches (like today after eating lunch for no reason), but a lot less frequently. (I have other GI issues, too; my colon and stomach aren't shaped properly, among other things- sorry to be gross! And I don't have Celiac, but I do have the sensitivity, per my testing!)

You are so lucky to have a freezer full of cookie dough, to just bake whenever!!!! Not much smells better than cookies baking!