Question on YouTube, FTC and COPPA rules

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Question on YouTube, FTC and COPPA rules

Post by Big Disney Fan »

As some of you may or may not know, the Federal Trade Commission has YouTubers being forced to choose whether their videos are "made for kids" or not, as per the ruling of the Children's Online Protection Privacy Act. If they are mislabeled either way, they could be fined about $42,500 per VIDEO! Several videos could easily spell YouTubers owing the government millions of dollars in debt!

Some have said that this is mainly targeted at those who mainly make money off of YouTube. I have uploaded some videos myself in the last several years (some are over a dozen years old(!)), and I did not post them for profit, only for fun. I had no intention of monetizing them. However, in light of the threat of being fined over $42,000 a video, I am worried because I can't decide whether my videos are made for kids or not. Most of them are certainly kid-friendly, but I can't tell if they are specifically for kids. What do I do about my videos which are only put up for fun and not for profit? Won't the non-profit videos be affected the same way?

I brought this up with my parents, and I have actually preemptively removed a few of my videos already, but they want me to wait a while, even though it's going to hover over me. How will the COPPA/FTC ruling affect non-profit YouTube videos (that is, videos put up for fun and not for a living)?
Patricier21
Special Edition

Re: Question on YouTube, FTC and COPPA rules

Post by Patricier21 »

Big Disney Fan wrote:As some of you may or may not know, the Federal Trade Commission has YouTubers being forced to choose whether their videos are "made for kids" or not, as per the ruling of the Children's Online Protection Privacy Act. If they are mislabeled either way, they could be fined about $42,500 per VIDEO! Several videos could easily spell YouTubers owing the government millions of dollars in debt!

Some have said that this is mainly targeted at those who mainly make money off of YouTube. I have uploaded some videos myself in the last several years (some are over a dozen years old(!)), and I did not post them for profit, only for fun. I had no intention of monetizing them. However, in light of the threat of being fined over $42,000 a video, I am worried because I can't decide whether my videos are made for kids or not. Most of them are certainly kid-friendly, but I can't tell if they are specifically for kids. What do I do about my videos which are only put up for fun and not for profit? Won't the non-profit videos be affected the same way?

I brought this up with my parents, and I have actually preemptively removed a few of my videos already, but they want me to wait a while, even though it's going to hover over me. How will the COPPA/FTC ruling affect non-profit YouTube videos (that is, videos put up for fun and not for a living)?
Please check out this video and its links i description for information on/against COPPA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLSKsrX ... =emb_title
Patricier21
Special Edition

Re: Question on YouTube, FTC and COPPA rules

Post by Patricier21 »

Take a look at this video and the links in its description. Those links can provide somethings that can help. If you could also spread this 2 as many people as possible b4 Dec 9, it would be truly gr8fully appreciated :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0veLrwd9CK4