DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:42 pm 
Platinum Edition

This is not a discussion of the Encanto thread. It’s something I’ve noticed in the past, how this forum is talked about on other forums like we're all starring in our own movie. :lol: Apparently Twitter also? How creepy is that? Posters here talk about the company and its happenings here, but who knew the posters here are the show for someone else? So gross. This is exactly why I don’t post pictures, names, etc. And why I wouldn't have participated in Secret Santa back when the forum still did that. There are some psychos here.

The funny thing to me are the Spanish-speaking forums, there are a lot of users from here, methinks, bringing us up over there because they’re too cowardly to talk face-to-face here. :lol: While I’m shaky at speaking Spanish in person, I can read and write it just fine. I had around six classes in high school and four in college. What little worms. :lol:

Anyone else have thoughts? :P

David Archuleta ~ "Waiting in the Stars" / "Spotlight Down"
David Archuleta ~ "I'll Never Go" / "Not a Very Good Liar"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:37 pm 
Platinum Edition

I had no idea people talked about us elsewhere. Are they nice? What the heck do they talk about?? I mean, it's a public forum, so it's not like a private site, so they have a right to dissect what we say... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

It's not illegal, no. It's just weird. :huh:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:59 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
How creepy is that? Posters here talk about the company and its happenings here, but who knew the posters here are the show for someone else? So gross. This is exactly why I don’t post pictures, names, etc. And why I wouldn't have participated in Secret Santa back when the forum still did that. There are some psychos here.

I have to admit it is a bit distressing having people dissect and scrutinize what you say here in other online places. It feels like a violation in some way. Not to mention, some people can be vindictive and dangerous. Imagine being doxxed or having someone contact your workplace because you said something they didn't like on a Disney forum. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:39 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
It's not illegal, no. It's just weird. :huh:

I agree- it's weird- I never would have thought that. But I'm confused...like people on other forums are like, "Oooh, did you see what Disney's Divinity, Sotiris, and blackcauldron85 talked about? Spill the tea!" Or are they like, "Oooh, THOSE members liked the movie, but we know that it's awful." I'm confused. :p

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:53 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I have to say— I don’t think it’s all that weird! I’ve lurked on boards where I got to know the personalities of the members and formed opinions of them before I joined said boards. There are whole subreddits and YouTube videos that detail forum and fandom drama in detail. When I post here, I sorta accept that there is an unseen audience out there who “knows” me (read: UmbrellaFish, the DVDizzy.com character) and I don’t know them. I’m okay with that.

On the other hand, it can be hurtful when people you don’t know or recognize talk about you online—even if it’s about your anonymous online persona. There was a troll that infiltrated a private Julie Andrews forum of which I was a member. They created a blog and they were clearly a bit unhinged but it still hurt my feelings when they made fun of one of my posts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:16 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I haven't seen much discussion about these boards other than a couple of posts on Twitter or Tumblr, and usually from people who used to be active in here. I actually see this done about other forums more frequently, like Blu-ray.com, which is more known I guess, and there's someone there who stalks me and writes about me on his Instagram, so I decided to be anonymous on twitter as well (I wasn't previously).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:10 am 
Special Edition

Assuming they'll read this topic, here's something I always felt was juicy:
I once found a photo I'd posted here on a Grindr-like website, where it was used to catfish people. Discuss.

In all fairness though, nothing you post on the internet is ever private or safe. This serves as a good reminder of that. There's nothing illegal or immoral (subjective) here, though it may feel icky.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:16 am 
Platinum Edition

Nandor wrote:
I once found a photo I'd posted here on a Grindr-like website, where it was used to catfish people. Discuss.

My mind is blown. That is insane. :shock: :shock: Did you contact that site's Help Desk or something to let them know that your photo was being used?!?! I for sure used to post photos on here and this Off-Topic forum, especially in my younger years, had personal stuff that I wrote, but like everyone's saying, Internet does not equal privacy. I've been thinking of posting about new stuff in my life in the venting thread, but I'll need to be more careful and think before I type.

farerb wrote:
there's someone there who stalks me and writes about me on his Instagram

Whhhhaaaaaa?!?!?!? That's super weird and creepy. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:20 am 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
I have to admit it is a bit distressing having people dissect and scrutinize what you say here in other online places. It feels like a violation in some way. Not to mention, some people can be vindictive and dangerous. Imagine being doxxed or having someone contact your workplace because you said something they didn't like on a Disney forum. :lol:
I guess that was my first reaction, that it feels only a step removed from cyber-stalking.

blackcauldron85 wrote:
I agree- it's weird- I never would have thought that. But I'm confused...like people on other forums are like, "Oooh, did you see what Disney's Divinity, Sotiris, and blackcauldron85 talked about? Spill the tea!" Or are they like, "Oooh, THOSE members liked the movie, but we know that it's awful." I'm confused. :P
I sent a link to Sotiris because they asked, but didn't want to post it on the board as if I was "calling out" someone. It's a Spanish-speaking forum. I may have my suspicions as to the identities involved though. Usually if there are comments somewhere else, they're not going to be nice. :lol: And many of them have a homophobic air to them at times. I've been called worse, but I guess I'm just struck by the cowardice more than anything. They'd rather say something insulting from a safe distance.

Nandor wrote:
rotfl

Yeah, I think it's immoral, but that's just me.