Your Pet Peeves

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Lazario wrote:
Persephone wrote:- Kids screaming in a movie theater/chruch/supermarket/any other public place
Aw, man: I ENCOURAGE kids to scream in church!! What insane person thinks children automatically are filled with a deep appreciation for faith and spirituality? Kids are kids, okay. They're going to misbehave- it's in their job description. If parents and family want to take their children to a place like church, they deserve whatever they get. (And, I hate children- so, you may have just come up with a fool-proof reason for me to have to defend them!)

Seriously, this is nothing but suspect in my mind. Bringing kids to church. Is having kids all a dog-and-pony show to these people?
-people who hate kids
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think that's true. My parents took me to Church as a child (though I can't say we went consistently; we were late-sleepers), and I only remember hating to sit for so long listening to 80 year old men and pretending to sing along to some dull songs I didn't know. It wasn't until I was in middle school that I started to grasp any idea of what religion was about.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Flower's Friend
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Flower's Friend »

Goliath wrote:Men who don't stand up to offer a woman their seat in the bus/train/subway etc.
I am a man and I never give up my seat to someone just because they are a woman. I have just as much of a right to sit down as a woman does. Just because someone is a woman does not mean that she is more important than me.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

I don't like autoplay videos on people's YouTube channels.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Flower's Friend wrote:I am a man and I never give up my seat to someone just because they are a woman. I have just as much of a right to sit down as a woman does. Just because someone is a woman does not mean that she is more important than me.
Then you are a living example of one of my pet peeves. Thanks for the illustration of my point. :P

Some people may find it old-fashioned, but I don't. I just think it's good manners. I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting down in a bus or train, when next to me, a woman had to stand all the way.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Flower's Friend wrote:I am a man and I never give up my seat to someone just because they are a woman. I have just as much of a right to sit down as a woman does. Just because someone is a woman does not mean that she is more important than me.
Even if she were pregnant, you wouldn't give her your seat if all other seats were taken?
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Goliath wrote:Some people may find it old-fashioned, but I don't. I just think it's good manners. I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting down in a bus or train, when next to me, a woman had to stand all the way.
I don't see what's wrong with what Flower's Friend said. Why is a woman in more desperate need of a seat than a man? I wouldn't give my seat up full stop, regardless of the gender of a nearby standing person.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sky Syndrome wrote:Even if she were pregnant, you wouldn't give her your seat if all other seats were taken?
That's something different altogether. :lol:

I personally don't give up my seat unless it's someone older or who's having trouble (like a sprained ankle, broken bone, etc.). I have given my seat to women before though, just because I don't mind standing.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:I don't see what's wrong with what Flower's Friend said. Why is a woman in more desperate need of a seat than a man? I wouldn't give my seat up full stop, regardless of the gender of a nearby standing person.
I didn't say it is "wrong" what he said. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion; I just happen to hold a different one. I just think it's as obvious as holding the door for a woman, carrying heavy things for her, or paying the bill when you're taking her out.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Sky Syndrome wrote:
Even if she were pregnant, you wouldn't give her your seat if all other seats were taken?
I would want to but, not only have I never been in an experience where all the seats were taken - because literally all the buses I've been on have room for 2 people to sit in a seat, in my experience, more than 70% of the people I've done a favor for in public were rude to me. Either they didn't thank me or they not only didn't thank me, but they also turn their head away from me in a manner that makes me worry about them doing damage to their necks- walking off in a high-nosed huff, or looked at me like I was creepy. With the exception of one act of kindness: moving over in a crowded supermarket aisle so they can pass by. For some reason, when a person knows they're gonna have to be really close to you, they're a lot more careful about the way they act toward you.

ajmrowland wrote:
Lazario wrote:And, I hate children
-people who hate kids
-people who hate people who hate kids.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Goliath wrote:
Dr Frankenollie wrote:I don't see what's wrong with what Flower's Friend said. Why is a woman in more desperate need of a seat than a man? I wouldn't give my seat up full stop, regardless of the gender of a nearby standing person.
I didn't say it is "wrong" what he said. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion; I just happen to hold a different one. I just think it's as obvious as holding the door for a woman, carrying heavy things for her, or paying the bill when you're taking her out.
I hold the door for everyone, and I would give up my bus seat for a pregnant woman, elderly person, or any other person of either sex who might have trouble standing. I wouldn't give up my seat for a teen girl chatting on her cell phone.

Dating is complicated, on the one hand, I want to give a good impression, on the other hand, she shouldn't have to feel that she "owes" sexual favors or something because I paid.

On a third hand (yeah, the guy's starting to look freaky,) I have heard of women who walk around like they expect random guys to fall all over themselves to buy the girls a drink, and that's kind of disturbing to me. I would have a problem with a woman who expected to be treated to an expensive dinner every time we went out (particularly if I didn't make that much, or she made more than I did,) and at some point I would expect "girlfriend" stuff, rather than just being the guy she calls when she wants a free meal.

It's almost a form of sexism to "coddle" a woman, it implies that you (the coddler, not Goliath personally) thinks that she is weaker than the person who is "coddling" her. I have even been lectured by some feminists for holding the door for them, although I think that's going a bit too far. IMHO, they should accept it as a simple courtesy and move on.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

littlefuzzy wrote:It's almost a form of sexism to "coddle" a woman, it implies that you (the coddler, not Goliath personally) thinks that she is weaker than the person who is "coddling" her. I have even been lectured by some feminists for holding the door for them, although I think that's going a bit too far. IMHO, they should accept it as a simple courtesy and move on.
I agree, and I consider myself a 'feminist' man, meaning I fully support the feminist agenda --which sometimes makes for odd contradictions, like you mentioned. I agree that no woman ever "owes" a man anything when he has paid for everything --and that's a feminist stance, instead of an old-fashioned one. So yeah, it's a fine line to walk. It's complicated. Like everything when it comes to women. :wink: :P
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Here's another one of my pet peeves that I only recently discovered:

- People who say they're 'proud' of a disability they have (e.g. somebody saying "I have ADHD and I'm proud!") I think it's great that they don't care about their disability (although they may do in secret, as they draw attention to it), but how can they be proud of something they didn't achieve? People are proud if they do something great, if they write a good story, or make a grand scientific discovery, etc. How can anybody be proud of something they're not responsible for? :roll: :brick:
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

^ Like: "proud to be an American"?
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

^ rotfl

Nice one. But in all seriousness, I think it's more that they aren't ashamed of it. (Like proud to be gay, etc.)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:Here's another one of my pet peeves that I only recently discovered:

- People who say they're 'proud' of a disability they have (e.g. somebody saying "I have ADHD and I'm proud!") I think it's great that they don't care about their disability (although they may do in secret, as they draw attention to it), but how can they be proud of something they didn't achieve? People are proud if they do something great, if they write a good story, or make a grand scientific discovery, etc. How can anybody be proud of something they're not responsible for? :roll: :brick:
who said you only can be proud of an achievement?

I'm an aspie and proud of it. Why? because it brings out some good qualities
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

ajmrowland wrote:I'm an aspie and proud of it. Why? because it brings out some good qualities
It most certainly can bring out good qualities, but you had no choice in becoming an 'aspie'. Why are your proud to have a genetic feature? That's like somebody saying "I'm proud to have blue eyes" or even "I'm proud to be alive," (or as Goliath said, "I'm proud to be an American). You had no choice in the matter, you did no work to earn that quality, it just came naturally.

But thanks for dutifully acting as an example of people who annoy me to make my point more clear. :wave:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

because it's rare? because it makes me feel good? because pride has little to do with accomplishments? all of the above?

do you *like* raining on other peoples' parades?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Aggressive negativity over things that don't really matter.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

ajmrowland wrote:because it's rare? because it makes me feel good?
"I have two noses, which is rare, and it makes me feel good inside! I'm proud of this!"

If somebody said that (and genuinely had two noses), I'd have a problem with it, because I simply don't think that you should be prideful of something that you did nothing to get. Goliath's example is the best: somebody saying they're proud to be an American. They didn't choose to be born in America. They didn't have to work hard to become an American (unless they originated in a different country and emigrated, but that's a completely different kind of scenario).

And really, it doesn't matter where they had been born; if they had been born in France, they would be "proud to be French." If they had been born in England, they'd be "proud to be English." Not only are they being irritatingly patriotic, but that kind of person would just be using an excuse to act prideful, in order to make themselves feel good. It makes sense that somebody who has made few accomplishments would be proud to have been born in a certain place (or something along those lines).
ajmrowland wrote:because pride has little to do with accomplishments?
:? I don't really understand what you mean.
ajmrowland wrote:do you *like* raining on other peoples' parades?
Do you *like* being a short-tempered and rude living example of a pet peeve of mine?