My abnormal life: ON THE RADIO!!!!!!!!!

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: My abnormal life: the virus and chaos

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I am so glad you are ok! I am also so glad you got A's in your classes and can take the trip next summer!

I am sorry about your grandmother. But she's in a better place now.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Oh, Michael, I'm so sorry about your grandmother. <3 <3
I'm really happy your grades are so good, though.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I'am sorry about your Grandmother, Michael
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Re: My abnormal life: Virtual Graduation

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Well I made it through the semester. I ended up with a 97, 99,100, 96, and a 94. My gpa went from 3.67 to about 3.8. So yeah, that's the best grades I've gotten in a single semester in a while with no B's. I was suppose to graduate this summer then transfer to another college this fall. However, I decided to take the summer off and finish up that certificate in the fall. After this doozy of a spring semester I needed a bit of a relaxing summer especially if classes in the fall are online only as well.

Oh...tonight at 6 pm central time there will be a virtual graduation ceremony instead of having an in person one. I've supplied the link to said graduation ceremony which yes will be on tonight for anyone who wants to watch it. I'm also not sure if I shared this but I will be going on my study abroad trip but it'll be next summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8IfHzCu1U
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
blackcauldron85

:mickana: :banana: :mickana: :banana: Awesome grades- great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's totally understandable to want to take a summer off! And I'm so beyond happy you'll be able to go on your trip still!!!!!!!!!!! :pink: All great news!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's very awesome Michael, I am so glad to hear you graduated and with such high grades. You really deserve that summer off!
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Congratulations on graduating :clap:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

So....I've been busy.

My school plans inadvertently changed around June 24th. Apparently I found out that forgot to drop a class for the summer semester that I intended to complete this fall.
I found this out, it had already been 3 weeks of the semester. I had to create various productions with a total of 64 production hours. However, I did it and finished it before the end of the summer semester which is in 2 weeks.

I'm also somewhat concerned about my study abroad trip to London and Paris next summer in June whether or not that will happen.
Been thinking about trying to get a refund, and there's a time window of some sort. However, I really want to go on this trip but with covd-19 lasting longer than we anticipated. I'm torn on what to do.

blackcauldron85

Re: My abnormal life: Summer Semester

I found out that forgot to drop a class for the summer semester that I intended to complete this fall.
I found this out, it had already been 3 weeks of the semester. I had to create various productions with a total of 64 production hours. However, I did it and finished it before the end of the summer semester which is in 2 weeks.
a) You're a rockstar; that's amazing! b) Was it your choice to go through with the class this summer, or did you ask and you weren't allowed to disenroll from it to take it in the fall?
Been thinking about trying to get a refund, and there's a time window of some sort. However, I really want to go on this trip but with covd-19 lasting longer than we anticipated. I'm torn on what to do.
I'm not you, so only you know what's right for you. However, if it were me, I'd try to get that refund before it's too late. Imagine if you don't get the refund during the allowed time frame, Covid is still raging in a year or even 2. For people not getting refunds, is the company holding that $ and keeping those people on a wait list or something? What if the company goes belly-up and you never get a refund if you have them hold onto your $ just in case?!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow Michael, you really are amazing for finishing that class that you didn't even know you had for three weeks!

I agree with Amy, you should get your money back for the trip, sad as it is. Maybe you can do it another time?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney Duster wrote:Wow Michael, you really are amazing for finishing that class that you didn't even know you had for three weeks!

I agree with Amy, you should get your money back for the trip, sad as it is. Maybe you can do it another time?
Whoops. Can't believe it took me 4 months to supply an update on stuff. It's been a busy and by far exciting semester.
I know that's sort of weird with covid, but first let me explain the study abroad situation.

Back in may if I cancelled I would have only gotten half of my money back because of rooms booked etc.

However, now with the travel ban things have changed. I have until 2022 to decide if I want to go on some sort of study abroad to get a refund with all about 500 bucks. This is great news tbh. So, the study abroad whether to cancel by a certain date between now and this summer hasn't been an issue. So, I've been able to mentally put that on the back burner. If the trip doesn't go this summer, I'm taking the money and applying to school stuff. This is also good because it's a bit of a nest egg too. Trust me when I say this is great and I have no doubt that the travel ban imposed of blocking people from traveling to the USA to other countries is the reason why. So, for now I'm not worried about it right now so I can focus on more important things for the moment.

I have been extremely busy because I'm back on campus. If classes at my community college can be online they are. Only those with lab classes are on campus. I paid about $120 for a 1 credit indy study in radio. I have been back on the radio, making productions and having a sense of normalcy. Though on Monday our region goes from phase 4 to 3. if it goes to phase 2 then we all back to being fully remote. I've made some amazing productions that have been on the radio a lot. You can only be around the radio department if you are there for something academic related. So, that's why I've been so busy, but having fun.

I've also made several projects for my main class. I am going to transfer to another university this coming spring. Several classes will be online lectures, but being on campus apartment will help because I will have resources there I can use and I'll probably be involved with the college radio station in some form or another.

So, I've been happier than I have been in a very very very long time since this pandemic lockdown began. I do have a cousin that's been on a ventilator for over a month after being diagnosed with covid. So, it is frustrating to see the falsehoods and lies being spread and believed by people, even those I know, but I digress.

I have also been sending off for autographs for various celebrities. One of them was Ed Asner. I mailed him a picture of Hudson whom he voiced in Gargoyles along with a flash drive of radio work and a 3 page paper. He has a son my age with Autism and for 15 years I've always wanted to share with Ed Asner how much he's helped me since that fateful day I impressed him.

He sign the picture and wrote a hand-written note front and back. One of the comments he made was, as a father with a son of autism I'll tell you this. Take a deep breath, relax, and be amazed at what you can accomplish. I had to take a picture of his note on my phone with flash because he writing was chicken scratch. That's probably why he wrote that he normally doesn't write too much and now I know why. I've gotten Jay Leno's autograph, Sally Struthers, Bob Newton, Tad Stones, Jesse McCartney, Alex Trebek, Lin Manuel Miranda, James Marsden, a former saint louis cardinals player (Gift for my rtv teacher), and Pat Carroll. I think there's more, but it's late and I'm tired. I'll try to post and update on things sooner than 4 months later next time.

Rose Dome
Special Edition

Re: My abnormal life: ON THE RADIO!!!!!!!!!

Post by Rose Dome »

I hope your Cousin gets better

Good for you with everything else though
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Really awesome stuff going on at school and with those signed pictures and even a letter from Ed Asner! It's so great that he has a son with autism, too, and what he wrote you. And wow something from Pat Carroll! I love her! I am so glad you are so happy! I will pray for your cousin to get better!
blackcauldron85

Michael! Thanks for the update! I'm so sorry about your cousin, that's awful. I sure hope they are able to get healthier. I think that sounds like a good plan about the trip $. I'm happy that you are back on the radio and that you're happier now. Are you excited for transferring schools and moving to the apartment? That's a big adventure!

That's great that Ed Asner wrote you back!! That's special. Very cool about the autographs- that's a neat hobby.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Re: My abnormal life: Well... I've been gone a while I guess

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Wow. I had no idea that the last time I was on this forum was last fall. So much has occurred, and I have been very busy. Let me continue on to talk about what happened in the radio department during my final semester at LLC. It was amazing. One of the teachers I've had recorded my final sign-off of the radio station at the community college for 6 years. It was a bittersweet moment. If anyone knows me or wants to friend me on Facebook, you'll be able to see the amazing footage. It was a fairy tale ending, and I was ready for my next new adventure at Illinois State University. Oh boy, you guys will realize why I've not been on here after I finish up talking about how this semester at a university went. I never did zoom virtual classes, even during the pandemic at LLC. I felt fatigued from zoom and I was struggling to keep time management when I didn't have a lot of resources that were available to help me. I stayed in my room mostly, because I'm 34 years old and this university is primarily made up of 18 to 20-year-olds. I have some weak immune system stuff with my Ulcerative Colitis, so I knew I was somewhat at risk for getting covid. I had one in-person class and that was radio, though we never went live on air. I learned in the first couple of weeks that the college was allowing emotional support animals to move in, as long as the roommates were okay with it. The other student was fine but had to get her shots etc. At the end of February, I was involved in a car accident. I walked away unharmed, but the driver of the other vehicle had a minor injury. My car was totaled, and I was left car-less. Skitty moved in with me that week and I don't think I would have gotten through the semester without her. Trying to figure out how to get places was tough. I used Uber for a while, but that was digging into my finances. The bus system was hard to figure out and time-consuming, but at some point, I didn't have a choice. The college has a bus called the Redbird Express. That bus stop sat locations at ISU to pick up students and take them to various locations on campus. I had one in-person class and that was raI'I hadio. However, without a car, I took a while to navigate the bus system and I was frequently late to class. I ended up with 3 A's and 2 D's. One of the D's was from radio class. I struggled a bit dealing with how to navigate around using the bus systems and uber. By the time I figure out how I could use instacart to bring groceries to me instead of using uber to go there myself, the damage of being behind was too late. At least I passed and I have a 2.6 GPA. If it wasn't for Skitty, I wouldn't have made it through. She was an entertainment that helped me. She's a little spitfire and I felt more like I was living with a wild child than a cat. I have a special bond with Skitty. One time I went to get some cereal and pour some milk into the bowl and cup. I turned around and at the very back of the fridge, I saw two pointy cat ears. I screamed Skitty Get out of the fridge!! She then went into the back of the dishwasher too.

One of the funniest things Skitty did was pretty unique. When I was getting bathwater going, Skitty attempted to jump in the bathtub full of water on several occasions. I stopped her, but I just couldn't help laughing that this little cat wants to take a bath. She was my rock. In a few weeks, I will go back to ISU and hopefully, Skitty can join me. The campus I think lifted all restrictions, and I have contacted a resource on campus that helps students go through their classes and help set up time to study on what class and for how long step by step. I also have a new car, which I like a lot. My dad though has an infection in the bone of his lower lumbar spine. Answers to figure out why or how to treat it have gone unanswered. It's really a rare thing, and the doctors in Saint Louis sent a biopsy they took of my dad's back and sent it to Seattle Washington to decipher.

I am taking a reduced amount of courses this semester. 4 classes is my limit and I probably bit off more than I could chew. Plus, with the pandemic and my car getting totaled. Yet, at least I finished the semester. Now, I'm going to have to raise my GPA up, but being back on campus with in-person resources should help me do just that.

Oh, and a week after the semester ended, I got to do something I never thought would happen. LLC had a drive-through graduation parade. Essentially, students that signed up could drive their car with family members inside to receive their diploma. The student was the only one allowed to get out of their car to receive the diploma. I had a photo op with the president of the college while practicing social distance. I never thought I would get to wear the hat and gown at LLC. I was only able to do so because I went after this digital media certificate. As for the study abroad trip, it has been postponed until next summer. I figure I've been signed up this long, so why not.

Near the end of May, I had carpal tunnel surgery. I'm still recovering, but another nerve is mad near the ulnar nerve that is on the side of my wrist close to my pinky finger. The treatment for this new nerve pain is to immobilize my wrist with a wrist brace for 6 to 9 weeks, so I can reduce the movement of my hand so I can recover. I'll probably think of more to share later, I just wanted to let everyone I'm still here. I've just had a lot of events going on that I forgot to post about them on the forum. I'll keep you all updated on how things go in my life sooner than I did today.

blackcauldron85

MICHAEL!!!!!!!!!!!! When you don't post for a long time I worry about you!! I'm so glad that you weren't hurt in the car accident, but a totaled car = no bueno. I'm happy you were able to get a new car! It sucks that the bus situation caused your low grades, especially in a radio class, but I'm happy that you passed!! OMG Skitty going into the appliances! :lol:. And whoa at her jumping into the tub!! Sounds like you've got your hands full with her, but I'm SO HAPPY you have her and she's making your life happier and easier!!

I'm sorry to hear about your dad- I hope he's not in too much pain while waiting for the doctors to figure out what's wrong. And I hope you are not in too much pain with your nerves- it sounds ouchy. :(

WOOHOO! on your parade graduation- I'm glad that you got to have it! I think it's smart that the abroad trip has been postponed, but I'm happy you're still thinking of going!!! :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So glad to get an update Michael! I am so glad you graduated! It sucks the car accident effected your GPA, but you passed! That's so cute about your cat. I'm happy you got to have her with you and she helped you so much. I am sorry about your dad and your own medical problems. I hope they don't hurt to bad and get treated soon. And I'm glad you will still get to go abroad!
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

It’s good to come across a post from you, Michael

Congratulations for passing :banana:

I hope your Dad can be helped with his medical issues

Your Cat seems like fun

Thinking of you as always
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:MICHAEL!!!!!!!!!!!! When you don't post for a long time I worry about you!! I'm so glad that you weren't hurt in the car accident, but a totaled car = no bueno. I'm happy you were able to get a new car! It sucks that the bus situation caused your low grades, especially in a radio class, but I'm happy that you passed!! OMG Skitty going into the appliances! :lol:. And whoa at her jumping into the tub!! Sounds like you've got your hands full with her, but I'm SO HAPPY you have her and she's making your life happier and easier!!

I'm sorry to hear about your dad- I hope he's not in too much pain while waiting for the doctors to figure out what's wrong. And I hope you are not in too much pain with your nerves- it sounds ouchy. :(

WOOHOO! on your parade graduation- I'm glad that you got to have it! I think it's smart that the abroad trip has been postponed, but I'm happy you're still thinking of going!!! :)

Sorry about not posting sooner. I've had quite a handful of a semester. First, let me talk about the positives. I got an A, 2 B's and a C.
Two days before the semester began, I drove down to sign paperwork for Skitty to return with me to college. I was involved in another accident and car went poof again. I remembered how I told everyone and their dang dog. This time, I didn't talk about it all the time because I needed to focus on my classes, not the obsession for a different car. So, that worked out good and my academic success this semester in part of that. Also, being back on campus helped a lot. I got a new/used car now and I love it. I also found out in November that my eyesight has drastically worsened. I got new glasses and I didn't realize how blind I was, even with a previous pair.

Right now, the first two weeks of semester are virtual. However, I had a CT done of my sinuses. I'm having some pain and I hoped to have surgery over break, but that did not happen. I polyps in my upper sinus nasal tracks in a lot of different locations. I guess there is some concern that it could lead to a brain infection. I am going to put off the surgery until the semester is over. Next week I go to see the ENT doctor to find out okay, is it fine to wait until May. I really cannot take off this semester, because it would throw a wrench in my ability to return to this college in the fall. If I can think of anything else to share, I will within the next few days.

blackcauldron85

:banana: :banana: Great job on the grades! When will you find out if Skitty can come back with you? Hopefully before you have to go back in person. NOOOOOOO, I'm so sorry you had another accident- that sucks. Are you feeling okay physically from it? I'm glad your glasses are helping you see better- super important!!

I'm glad you're seeing the ENT doctor ASAP- that is super scary, Michael- I'm so sorry. :( Hopefully it's not severe enough so you can hold off on surgery. If it is something you need surgery for ASAP, what'll you do? You'll be in my thoughts for sure. <3

Good luck on your upcoming classes!!