Look what I found at the thrift shop!

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Look what I found at the thrift shop!

Post by LySs »

Unfortunately, the winding key broke off, but I could probably find a replacement somewhere down the line. But for $2? No way could I pass this up!

And a couple of years ago, my mom found this musical Anastasia figurine from The San Francisco Music Box Company at a flea market. It's still in good condition!

So, has anyone here ever found any cool and/or rare finds from a thrift store/flea market/garage sale?
Doesn't have to be Disney/cartoon-related.

Post away!
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Wow! That Esmeralda musical statue is awesome! I don't really have any flea markets near me, but I one got Meet The Robinsons, brand new, for $4.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Re: Look what I found at the thrift shop!

Post by Super Aurora »

LySs wrote:Image
But for $2? No way could I pass this up!
Fuck, I hate you.

Gimmie that, or I'll send Gaston over at your house.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I found a couple of Cars figurines at a little fair about 3 years ago in Michigan. they were clay things of McQueen and Sally each with their own stand and signpost.
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LySs »

Super Aurora wrote:
Fuck, I hate you.

Gimmie that, or I'll send Gaston over at your house.
Aw hell naw.

disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I found these at Salvation Army today

Image - not my picture but I got the same thing...the cd is sealed...only it didn't come with the main Aladdin Movie Vhs...it has the makiing of Aladdin and a wonderful book on some art of aladdin and a lithograph..I got it for about $4 plus tax.. I figure I'll find an Aladdin VHS at a thrift shop sometime....That'll be easy to replace.....

It was $3

This Book for $1...not a bad deal

Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Nice finds, everybody. I hardly ever go to thrift shops anymore (Not really my thing).
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

I am working at a thrift store right now, while trying to get back on my feet. And see items go through my checkout line all the time and think why didn't i see that lol, rarely look around though thankfully or could just endorse my paycheck back over to them see way tooo many awesome things.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LySs »

Checked out the same thrift shop last week.
They had this Hula Dancing Lilo toy.

I was ALMOST attempted to get it, but it wasn't working anymore. Ah well, I don't think I would've gotten it anyway.
disneyboy20022 wrote: Image

This Book for $1...not a bad deal
Oh wow that's a real great deal! That book goes for about $45-$80 and some that have never been opened are even going for around $400. I am mad jelly.
Enjoy it!
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

While not from a thrift store I did get this free from the new/used bookshop I work at. :D

theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Ok, I’m gonna bump this archaic thread here because as of late, I’ve become an avid thrifter. Why? Because it’s awesome! I can’t believe some of the amazing deals I’ve found.

Here’s an example of one of the parks plushies I’ve found! I probably get lucky with them because I’m in SoCal. He still had the original tags, but was only a few dollars!

I’ll likely post more soon; I find a lot of great stuff aside from Disney as well. Anyone else? :)
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Super cute!! I bet there are a lot of hidden Disney gems in SoCal!

My mother-in-law finds more Disney thrift finds than I do, and I'm in Central FL. She's found Mickey pizza plates, a teddy bear music box that plays "When You Wish Upon a Star" (which Disney doesn't own the rights to, right, so the music box makes more sense), a covered candy dish with retro Mickey and Minnie...

When I worked at a thrift store in Orlando many moons ago, we had a partnership with Universal Studios, so after the holding period, we'd get their lost and found items.

I did 2-3 years ago get a 2-doored display case, wood with glass doors, and I use it to display my Pops and Disney figurines and things, $40 (+ shipping) at a local thrift shop...that was a great find.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Hi Amy! :wave:

I think the thing about WDW is that at more of a vacation destination that Disneyland; as in, Florida’s WDW attracts people from all over the world while Disneyland has kind of ended up as popular place for “locals.” So I think a lot of the locals that visit Disneyland often end up donating their own excess Parks merch, while WDW merch likely ends up more spread out all over the world rather than gathering locally.

Anyway. It’s so much fun finding stuff regardless, right? Oh, when it comes to copyrights for music box mechanisms, from what I’ve read, I think there’s a set fee to pay the copyrights holder to receive the rights to recreate a simple version of the melody specifically for a music box. And once it’s been paid for and created, the boxes can be used anywhere. I thrifted a jewelry box a while back and it plays Let Me be Your Teddy Bear by Elvis, so I turned it into a Stitch-themed box, lol. I’ll have to post it in the crafts thread when I get a chance! (I’m sitting in a waiting room right now, as I just received my second COVID vaccination).

One of my latest finds was this vintage TLM Christmas stocking! I’m guessing it’s circa 1990?

I also recently thrifted a desk hutch for $15, which sits perfectly on my desk, lol! I’m always in need of more storage so it’s going to come in really handy. I also found a purple velvet chair, also for $15 and also perfect for my desk! Thus I’m in the middle of reorganizing my little corner office; maybe I’ll post pics once I’ve got it set back up. :)
blackcauldron85

:wave: You're so crafty!!! Very cute stocking. You're finding some amazing furniture deals!! Do you have better luck finding the "good stuff" at chains like Goodwill or Salvation Army, or at the smaller stores?
(And thanks for the info on music box copyright- I didn't realize that was its own thing!)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I mainly visit both Goodwill and Salvation Army, but I check in at smaller places as well. I’ve found some amazing deals practically everywhere! We have a couple of local places where the prices can be hit or miss, but that seems to go for the larger chains as well. I used to love shopping at Savers back when we still lived in Vegas, I actually bought a Hanna-Barbera production animation cel at one for only $15! We do have Savers in Cali, but they’re not as nice here, at least the ones we’ve had in easy driving distance.

My absolute best find was actually from a local pet shelter that includes a thrift store to help with their funding. I didn’t even know about the place until I stumbled across a listing for a clock I’ve spent several years looking for. It’s kind of a long story, but when my dad passed, one of the family items I inherited was a large, unusual mid-century wall clock that I grew up with and have always loved. I’ll have to write more about that later, but it’s rare and expensive and I’d been searching to get another for years to give to my brother. I’ve even had an automatic search saved for it on eBay; they immediately email me if any listings for it pop up! But I’d also do a Google search every so often in hopes of finding it elsewhere … and just a few months ago, I finally found it at that shelter thrift store! He’s getting married soon so it’s going to be his wedding present. :) Again, I’ll have to write more about it later, it’s just one of those awesome little things that makes thrifting worthwhile!

Oh, here’s a “catch and release” from yesterday … didn’t buy it but I totally wanted to, lol.

It’s a cookie jar that totally has Belle vibes, don’t you think? I’m guessing it’s from the 1960s-70s, but I didn’t pick it up to check for markings or anything. I do try not to go overboard on buying things; my house is already cramped enough. :lol:
blackcauldron85

DUDE that "Belle" cookie jar is AMAZING!!!
I actually bought a Hanna-Barbera production animation cel at one for only $15!
WHOA! What show was it from?
I finally found it at that shelter thrift store! He’s getting married soon so it’s going to be his wedding present.
That is serendipity for sure!!! That's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

The animation cel is of Yogi and Booboo; It’s been professionally framed with a background (likely random and not a matching one, but who knows). I’d post a photo but it’s in storage right now. I haven’t been able to figure out exactly which show it’s from since those characters appeared in so many, but if I recall correctly, they’re xeroxed rather than hand-inked so that should be a clue on its age. I believe I acquired it back around 2013, as I think I was pregnant with Little Dude at the time and thought it might be great for his room (we’ve moved a couple times since then, and his original room ended up not working out, lol).

Ok, so this is the clock I was talking about:

The one my dad originally bought is hanging on the wall, and I’m holding up the “new” one I thrifted to compare them. This is after fixing it up a little and finding new hands similar to the originals (although they’re too long so we may trim them down). As you can see, it’s huge! About 3’ across.

Dad bought it in 1964, the year he bought the house our family grew up in. All of my friends and all of my brothers’ friends remember that clock, lol. It’s in the background of a lot of our family photos, and I best remember it hanging above our piano (which we didn’t get until the early 1980s). It hung in that living room for literally 40 years, as he passed in 2004. My brother and I took turns picking out things we wanted to keep, and I felt lucky I got it, lol … even now, home doesn’t feel like home to me until it’s hanging up on the wall.

What’s going to be tough is trying to figure out how to get this thing across the country to actually get it to him! :scratch: :lol:

And as for more recent finds, I had a good laugh over seeing this:

I find myself joking that he’s practically film-accurate with his missing left arm (even if it’s broken in the wrong spot, lol). Maybe he was donated by a real-life Sid. :D
blackcauldron85

I didn't even notice Buzz's arm until you mentioned it! That's funny! That clock is AMAZING!!!!!!!! Could you ask the UPS Store or Fed Ex store to professionally wrap it to make 100% sure it'll survive the trip intact??? Still the coolest find ever- I'm so happy you found it!
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

We do a lot of shipping ourselves, so we’re good with knowing how to wrap, pack, and such. The hard part is the size … it’s going to be very expensive to ship due to the length and the weight, lol! We’ll get it figured out when it’s time, though. It’s just that shipping costs get outta control fast!

I was totally amused by this bundle of handmade hair bows at Goodwill yesterday; I’m not into wearing big bows, lol … but I kinda regret not grabbing it for this …

Seems like it would be fun to wear at Disneyland!
blackcauldron85

That's hilarious!!!!! :lol: