Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Post by carolinakid »

Loved Looking. I already pre-ordered the season 1 Blu-ray. I am torn between Patrick/Kevin and Patrick/Richie. My boyfriend is Latino so I kind of lean toward Richie. I loved Dom and Lynn! Hope Scott Bakula returns for season 2. Every guy needs a fag hag/fruit fly like Doris. Looking is a worthy successor to Queer As Folk and Noah's Arc.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Kevin confounds me. How does he feel about Patrick? That's what I really want to learn next year.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Old Fish Tale wrote:Kevin confounds me. How does he feel about Patrick? That's what I really want to learn next year.
I think he doesn't give a crap about Patrick or his feelings. He looks like the type looking for a quick fix. He was fixated on Patrick because he couldn't have him.

Also, seeing Patrick 'give it up' for Kevin so to speak, was heartbreaking. Especially because he decided to wait with Richie. This was definitely sexual harassment.

Long story short, I'm on team Richie. And have been since the beginning.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

PatrickvD wrote:I think he doesn't give a crap about Patrick or his feelings.
I'm not sure. He's definitely the most ambiguous character on the show...
PatrickvD wrote:Also, seeing Patrick 'give it up' for Kevin so to speak, was heartbreaking.
I can't tell you how difficult it was for me to watch it and what happened after it... It crucified me. It was masterfully written and acted.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

During the opener of the second half of the third season of "Once Upon a Time", they had a commercial about Honey Maid graham crackers that featured two dads and what looked like two boys, a baby and maybe a 9-year old. It was so wonderful to see a gay family in the mainstream primetime like that, and two dads with boys no less (usually they have dads with girls so people feel less like they'll do something sexual to the boys).
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Old Fish Tale wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:I think he doesn't give a crap about Patrick or his feelings.
I'm not sure. He's definitely the most ambiguous character on the show...
Yeah, it's true that we know very little about him. I was really going by his reaction after he slept with Patrick. He was very cold and distant, completely inconsiderate of Patrick's feelings. Very sad.
Old Fish Tale wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:Also, seeing Patrick 'give it up' for Kevin so to speak, was heartbreaking.
I can't tell you how difficult it was for me to watch it and what happened after it... It crucified me. It was masterfully written and acted.
True. I'm definitely looking forward to next season.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/ar ... e-ban#more

An Arkansas judge has struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage. Can't tell you how surprised, and elated, I am with this news. The ban has been in effect since 2004 (and was put on the ballot as part of Karl Rove's insidious tactic to drive out evangelicals to vote for bush in the '04 election...) and was passed by a majority of over 70%. That was a very disheartening vote, and I remember how defeated it felt to be gay, and SANE, the next day. But, now, the law has been overturned (for now, anyway). The State Attorney General's office has said they will appeal the decision in an effort to uphold the ban, which means this will probably go before the Arkansas State Supreme Court. They could uphold the ban or ensure its complete eradication. I'll be following this story with great interest. It would be a shame to not be able to ever marry in my home state, should I have the desire to do so.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

ProfessorRatigan wrote: It would be a shame to not be able to ever marry in my home state, should I have the desire to do so.
In the same boat here. But I think in the next decade or so, it'll be taken out of the states' hands and passed federally (like it should have been already).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

Sadly, with politically cowardly 'liberals' like Obama and the ridiculously Conservative Supreme Court (why can't Scalia just up and fucking CROAK all ready?), I don't see much happening on the Federal Level any time soon... but, then, the estimates for Arkansas legalizing it had us near the bottom, with only Alabama and Mississippi beating us in bigotry, so, who knows?

All ready counties have 'refused' the issue licenses until the state Supreme Court settles the matter. It's depressing, but I expected as much.

I'd also like to issue a congratulations to all our LGBT brothers and sisters in Idaho, which ALSO just gained marriage equality. :up:
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Hope everyone watches The Normal Heart on HBO on 5/25/14.
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

carolinakid wrote:Hope everyone watches The Normal Heart on HBO on 5/25/14.
I know I will. The reviews have been great!
MerPrincessJamie
Limited Issue

Post by MerPrincessJamie »

Still waiting on baited breath for Nevada..
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Just got The New Normal Complete Series (2012-2013) on DVD. I loved that show!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Anyone watching Vicious? I think it's hilarious! The original title was gonna be Vicious Old Queens!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

What a monumental day to be an American! :D
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

I may never get married, who knows, but at least couples who want to will finally be able to have all the benefits they deserve. :D
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

:clap:

This truly amazed me! Freedom for gay people to marry whoever they love in the entire US of A! "...For the land of the free, and the home of the brave!"

:party:
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

:pink: :clap: :party:

Blew me away, too! Made me proud of my country. A victory for gay rights, freedom, fairness, equality, common sense, and separation of church and state!
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Last night I attened the World Premier of Stonewall at the Toronto International Film Festival, a movie that uses the famous 1969 event as the backdrop for a story about Danny, an Indiana teenager who is coming to terms with his sexuality at a time when sestemic homophobia was rampant in American society. I ejoyed it quite a bit, as did the audience whom I saw it with. If it had to give it a rating on a scale, I would say it's a 3 out of 4. Roland Emmerich, director of such movies as Independence Day, was there with the cast to introduce the movie before its screening.

The movie will receive a limited release this upcoming Friday and will soon play at the Chicago LGBT+ film festival.

However, the main reason I'm bringing the movie up here is in response to the overwhelmingly negative reaction given to the movie, both before its release online, and with the initial reviews. Much of the criticism involves the perception that the movie fails to do the event justice, or adequately involve racial minorites in the cast (which seems to be a common complaint with all movies now on tumblr). As someone who has actually seen the movie, I can tell you the second point is (surprise) nonesense, and the first one confuses me, as I'm not sure what could be done to appease such views without making the movie a straight up documentary (which already exists, and lets be realistic, even if it was some would still complain).

The movie doesn't look or feel like a typical Emmerich blockbuster. It's more like your ususal fall Oscar bait, shot with the same golden saturated colours that seemingly all period films are now done with. The story the movie choses to tell is fairly straightforward, but the acting is quite good. The character of Danny is intentionally designed to also be the audience surrogate, a decision that has also come under criticism. The audience I saw it with laughed in the right places and appeared moved by the more dramatic bits. In short, it hits the notes it was trying to go for. The movie ends with a roll call of the real-life figures involved in the key event (who are all characters in the movie), with a brief synopisis of the contriubutions to overall LGBT rights history.

Maybe calling it something else besides "Stonewall" would have changed people's expectations. Maybe people can't get past the idea that the man who directed the awful 1998 Godzilla film would be allowed anywhere near this project (for the record, he is openly gay, and put up his own money for it). 10 years ago, Brokeback Mountain was boycotted by anti-gay film goers, but now members within the LGBT community are calling for a boycott of this. Times have ceratainly changed. Perhaps the screenwriter overestimated the need to make the movie accessible to mass audiences by having the story's star be a while, male personality. Only the film's Box Office will tell if that was the correct decision to make.

In summary, I encourage you to see the movie for yourself before passing judement. This is not some incompetantly made technical disaster, nor is the acting or writing cringeworthy in any particular way. It's just a simple, but solid bit of gay storytelling. If you still feel the movie was lackluster afterwords, I won't hold it against you as someone who saw it and was willing to give it a chance.