Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Post by carolinakid »

Episode 3 is already available on HBO On Demand if you wanna watch it before the weekend! I liked it the best so far...
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

carolinakid wrote:Episode 3 is already available on HBO On Demand if you wanna watch it before the weekend! I liked it the best so far...
Yeah, I saw it. It's definitely picking up. The show would be better if they focused more on the characters struggles in life and their careers and relationship instead of cramming in obligatory gay topics like random Grindr hook-ups and sex in the park. They can save that for when we've become more invested. In the first two episodes it felt a bit forced, because I can understand how there is a pressure on a show like this to be everything to everyone. But that's impossible.

The third episode was the best though. Patrick is a great character. I love how he makes a fool of himself all the time.... because I can relate. :lol:
Dominicboo

Post by Dominicboo »

Why is it people think being gay is a "choice"? It's not..I never would have choosen this....
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I've never posted here before, but I wanted to discuss 'Looking'. I'm enjoying it enormously and I knew I would since I adored Andrew's 'Weekend'! It feels like another slice of life!

Dom is my favourite character. His scenes with Doris are magnetic! I also find Agustin and Patrick's relation very interesting. Vulture posted a very perceptive review of the second episode highlighting it. You can read it here.

I'm sad everyone is hating it because they can't accept the show isn't about them. I'm a 24 year old homosexual man and I've only had one sexual partner so far (I believe sexual activities between two people have to be really deserved), but I still relate to these wonderfully written and acted characters. We all struggle like they do.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Old Fish Tale wrote:I've never posted here before, but I wanted to discuss 'Looking'. I'm enjoying it enormously and I knew I would since I adored Andrew's 'Weekend'! It feels like another slice of life!

Dom is my favourite character. His scenes with Doris are magnetic! I also find Agustin and Patrick's relation very interesting. Vulture posted a very perceptive review of the second episode highlighting it. You can read it here.

I'm sad everyone is hating it because they can't accept the show isn't about them. I'm a 24 year old homosexual man and I've only had one sexual partner so far (I believe sexual activities between two people have to be really deserved), but I still relate to these wonderfully written and acted characters. We all struggle like they do.
I just watched the first two episodes this afternoon, and I really enjoyed them. I like that it's just like any other show just with gay characters. No one's struggling with their sexuality, they're firm in it. I like that.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I didn't mean with their sexuality, but in their lives.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

For those living in the U.S.:

Federal government to expand recognition of same-sex marriage

WASHINGTON -- In a new milestone for gay rights, Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. will issue a directive Monday expanding government recognition of same-sex marriages to all federal courtrooms and prisons, and some federal benefits programs.

The new policy, which Holder plans to announce Saturday night at a gay rights dinner in New York City, means the Justice Department will not object if gay or lesbian partners refuse to testify against their spouses in federal criminal and civil cases, and will push for them to be accorded the same rights in Bankruptcy court as other married couples.

These privileges will be extended to same-sex couples even in states that do not recognize their marriages as long as they were legally married in another state.

Same-sex marriages also would be recognized for some federal programs, including one that provides death benefits to surviving spouses of police officers and firefighters who are injured or killed in the line of duty, as well as the compensation fund for victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

While the changes may not affect large numbers of people, the gay advocacy community views them as another important step in the growing movement toward gender-based equality since the Supreme Court issued two rulings last June that expanded the rights of gay couples.

"While the immediate effect is that all gay married couples will be treated equally under the law, the long-term effects are more profound," said Fred Saintz, vice president for communications at the Human Rights Campaign, which Holder will address Saturday night. "Today, our nation moves closer toward its ideals of equality and fairness for all."

According to Holder's prepared remarks, the government will take the position that married same-sex couples should be eligible to file jointly for bankruptcy and receive the same protections in Bankruptcy court as other married couples.

Married same-sex couples in federal prisons will receive the same visitation privileges as other married inmates under the new policy. They also may be eligible for furloughs or even compassionate release in the case of a crisis involving their spouse.

Holder will remind the audience that he is the first African American attorney general, and that his predecessors played a key role in the civil rights movement five decades ago.

"As all-important as the fight against racial discrimination was then, and remains today, know this: My commitment to confronting discrimination based on sexual orientation runs just as deep," Holder will say, according to the advance text.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-nn- ... 0056.story

:wave:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneySoup

Post by DisneySoup »

Hi everyone hi chris :-)
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... ay-couples

Are there any LGBT members from Kansas? You might want to check this out. And you MIGHT want to hold your legislatures accountable for this horrific law. Find out if any of your representatives helped pass this and pledge to oust them come election time. This is ridiculous.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... ay-couples

Are there any LGBT members from Kansas? You might want to check this out. And you MIGHT want to hold your legislatures accountable for this horrific law. Find out if any of your representatives helped pass this and pledge to oust them come election time. This is ridiculous.
The law is ridiculous, to the point where I'd be suprised to see it ever go in effect if it passed. It's just begging for a lawsuit where it would lose.

Otherwise, the week was good news in the US based on what happened in Kentucky, Indiana and Virginia.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Ellen Page comes out as being gay: The video from that link is super quiet, a quick youtube search might yield a better result.

http://nyxythenightmare.tumblr.com/post ... t-now-with
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Not much of a surprise. Okay, i wasn't really expecting it either.

Nice for her though.
Cordynharm

Post by Cordynharm »

Aw good on Ellen. Well not that Ellen but the new one ;-)
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Season 1 Episode 5 of Looking is fantastic. I could watch it over and over. Please try to catch it.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

https://www.allout.org/en/actions/kill-the-bill-taf

24 hours to stop Uganda's anti-gay bill. Spread the word.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

How or where do you sign that petition against the bill?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Disney is cutting funding to the Boy Scouts over their policy of not allowing gay adults as scoutmasters. I wonder if the Donald Duck short Good Scouts will now need a PC Leonard Maltin intro.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Good.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Anyone enjoy Looking as much as I did?

A profoundly excellent first season. I'm going through some of the same things as the main character (plus I share his name, creeepy) so it really hit home in the end.

I'd place it next to Enlightened and Game of Thrones as some of the best I've seen from HBO.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I did! The last minutes of the last episode just broke my heart. The first season was exquisite and as good as Andrew Haigh's 'Weekend'. I know I'll be eating out of their hands again next year (yes, thank God it was renewed). A big thank you to everyone involved.