J. K. Rowling News & Discussion

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

J. K. Rowling News & Discussion

Post by ajmrowland »

Rowling to receiver first ever Hans Christian Anderson Award in October 2010. Kinda odd, considering they've already awarded it to her.

She definitely deserves it, though. :)
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Source?
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Rowling to receiver first ever Hans Christian Anderson A

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I didn't want to invade the HP threads with this. Has anyone read The Ickabog? It's a political fairytale, one that she mentioned she was considering at the time HP&tDH was released back in 2007.* Finally she put it out after all these years. I was skeptical if I would love or simply like it. It's aimed at a slightly lower age than HP, at least to me, although there is a great deal of death (like with traditional fairy tales). I've liked most things she's written so far (HP of course, the Tales of Beedle the Bard book, Fantastic Beasts). The Casual Vacancy was the only bump for me, although I wouldn't say I hated it. It was worth reading once, I guess. I will read Cormoran Strike one day. I only decided I want to read those books once the series is finished, since I'm not quite sure if I'll love it or not and if I wait until it's completely finished, I can push myself through to the end just to have read it one time even if I find it unsatisfying. I saw the other day that she said the Cormoran Strike series could go on another 10 books though, which shocked me because I thought it was supposed to only be around seven or eight to begin with. I guess she's enjoying writing them. :lol: So I don't know, I may end up trying it out rather than wait that long for it to finish.

Anyway, The Ickabog. Because of the pandemic, she made it available online for free here: http://www.theickabog.com/ It'll be available to buy in the Fall and the proceeds will go to charity. I was kind of glad I was able to read it first, because I know I want to buy it now. I thought the ending in particular was well-done. When they discovered the Ickabog was actually a real creature and not just a lie, that was the peak part of the story for me. Partly because of the Ickabog's song about how humans were offspring of Ickabogs, too, from their ancestors, Bitterness and Hate, and then later when the Ickabog's offspring are born and are opposites. One thing I like about Rowling is how she usurps the reader's expectations while still being satisfying, at least that's how I feel; I thought for sure the Ickabog would be shot before the story even got to the chapter titled "Flapoon Fires Again" which would only lead you to expect that outcome even more. But perhaps my favorite part of the whole thing was the very ending when Fred's story is resolved with him having calmed the monstrous Ickabog for it to give birth to a more peaceful offspring. My only real disappointment would be Lady Eslanda not having a bigger role in the climax; I really thought she was the one impersonating the butler when Spittleworth arrived, but nope. It's a very quick read. I would definitely recommend it. I actually felt it was much better than my expectations, considering the title. :P

* She talked about a HP encyclopedia back then, too, and I hope that actually comes about one day as well. Basically a published compilation of everything from Pottermore would be great.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JK Rowling’s latest book is about a murderous cis man who dresses as a woman to kill his victims
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/09/14/j ... ses-woman/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JK Rowling platforms anti-trans shop selling ‘lesbians don’t have penises’ and ‘f**k your pronouns’ merch
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/09/23/j ... -workshop/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: J. K. Rowling News & Discussion

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I got my physical copy of The Ickabog in the mail last week. The images used are pretty. I read some article about how children's fanart was used in the book. I wasn't really in a hurry to buy it, since it'll probably be a little while before I re-read the story again, but all proceeds of the book go to COVID relief apparently. It will be interesting to read again though. It's obvious the book lampoons the rise of disinformation, gaslighting, and far-right demagogues around the world. The first time I read it was while Drumpf was in office and the next time will be once he's long gone in the rearview mirror, thank God. I wonder what effect that may have on the experience of the book; seeing the parallels in real life on the news everyday probably made some parts of it more powerful.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

farerb wrote:JK Rowling platforms anti-trans shop selling ‘lesbians don’t have penises’ and ‘f**k your pronouns’ merch
She is disgusting. :angry:

I guess I should be glad she never bothered with Latino representation.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Something to consider about J. K. Rowling

Post by Patricier21 »

May I just say that the following makes me really happy indeed! :) Whether you are a teacher yourself or just any other person, you should always truly help people think critically! Needless to say, this kind of thing needs to be constantly spread, because it always truly makes the difference between what is truly Right and wrong no matter what no matter how otherwise it may seem

https://www.dailywire.com/news/utterly- ... -unfounded
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

thedisneyspirit wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:25 pm
farerb wrote:JK Rowling platforms anti-trans shop selling ‘lesbians don’t have penises’ and ‘f**k your pronouns’ merch
She is disgusting. :angry:

I guess I should be glad she never bothered with Latino representation.
Well, how was that wrong, Let alone truly “disgusting”?Lesbians by literal definition are women who romantically like women, so therefore they wouldn’t have to? Not to mention that you shouldn’t be using pronouns or and literally anything to describe someone other than their name and what they literally are? Has it ever occurred to you that maybe just maybe it’s you who’s over reacting and not truly thinking critically about it like I put it out on my post above?