ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Such a great actress! 'nuff said.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5usVahlDjv0

I just found this on YouTube and I must say that it is rather funny. Check it out and see for yourself.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I posted that in the YouTube thread a few months ago, but you're right it is funny.

I love how Eliza and Mary are rivals. It still surprises me that Julie was able to get permission to dress up like Mary Poppins again for her show. But she is really good, I begin to think of them as three seperate women, Julie Andrews, Eliza Doolittle, and Mary Poppins!

Here's just the skit, a longer version cut in two:

Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ckpkMihCs

Part Two

And this Jim Hill article goes along with it, giving some extra information about Julie's short-running, Emmy-winning variety show, "The Julie Andrews Hour"-

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... sters.aspx
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I just spent some time updating and adding to the first post, but thanks goes entirely to the people at Julie Andrews Online.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Yes- you read the title correctly.

Julie's singing again on stage, this time in London at the O2 (and, if what she said in recent interviews holds true, she'll be visiting Australia, too). The set-up is the same as The Gift of Music, and she'll be singing at least 4 solos!

This news comes in after recent rumors that she was preparing for an experimental surgery to inject a gel to replace her scarred vocal cords (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/s ... 886267.ece). Of course, it would have been way too soon for her to have had any surgery yet.

Here's the two articles that speak of it-
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 930622.ece
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 930371.ece

It's not like I could ever attend, but those lucky fans across the pond should certainly have a magnificent time!

In the meantime, here's some other upcoming Julie stuff-
-She'll be hosting The Vienna Philharmonic Concert on PBS once again
- The Tooth Fairy, a new movie out in Jan. 2010
- The Very Fairy Princess, a new book with Emma sometime in 2010
- Shrek Goes Fourth, May 2010
- Despicable Me, July 2010 (the film I'm most excited about!)
- Little Bo in Italy, another Little Bo book, but with Emma???, sometime in 2010
- Little Bo in London, (same as "in Italy") probably 2011
- Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems and Songs to Celebrate the Seasons, probably in 2011, and let me just say, the first book was amazing! Also share your favorite seasonal poem or song here(http://julieandemma.ning.com/index.php), and it could be considered for the next book!

(can you believe a 74 year old woman is doing all of this? She's astounding!)
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

that's AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010 should be a great year for Julie and, hopefully, for the rest of us! :)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I might tell you that Shrek Goes Fourth has been retitled Shrek Forever After
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Well, her "Despicable Me" character has a name and it's Marlena. :D

More tidbits-

She's the "ugliest wench you've ever seen".
She didn't use her normal voice but a "mixture of every accent under the sun".

Here's the article- http://screencrave.com/2010-01-08/julie ... icable-me/

Can't wait for July!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Ooh! Julie playing an evil character sounds like fun!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

It's so wonderful to know Julie's back on stage, singing again. Perhaps her voice no longer has the capacity for those delicious high notes, but she always makes the best of every situation and soldiers on.

I'm still peeved they never completed the "Eloise" series.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Just saw Julie's appearances on "The View" and "The Daily Show", as part of the publicity campaign for Tooth Fairy. Elegant as always in her smart black pantsuit; yet I always think, during her interviews, she always stays quite restrained and private. It's one of the reasons why she fascinates me so. :)
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

tsom wrote:Ooh! Julie playing an evil character sounds like fun!
I know, right? She keeps saying that it's the meanest character she's ever played but I wonder if that includes Gertie Lawrence, or her character in Duet for One. I haven't seen SOB yet, but I believe her character in that movie is supposed to be a bit of... well, you know, too. Or is she just saying that based on her iconic image as Mary Poppins and Maria Von Trapp?

I'm also curious about this role because she keeps saying that the director's let her name her character, but I can't tell whether she means literally naming the character, or just giving out the character's name to the press. Hopefully it'll be clarified by the time Despicable Me comes out for promotion rounds.
Cory_Biddle wrote:It's so wonderful to know Julie's back on stage, singing again. Perhaps her voice no longer has the capacity for those delicious high notes, but she always makes the best of every situation and soldiers on.

I'm still peeved they never completed the "Eloise" series.
She keeps saying in interviews that's she won't be singing, or at least what she certainly doesn't think qualifies as singing, and I totally understand that, and I understand that she wants to make sure people aren't disappointed. But it just feels so miraculous to hear Julie singing on stage at all again, I don't think anybody will be disappointed. And I'm eagerly looking forward to the You Tube videos that will sneak up on the web come May!
Cory_Biddle wrote:Just saw Julie's appearances on "The View" and "The Daily Show", as part of the publicity campaign for Tooth Fairy. Elegant as always in her smart black pantsuit; yet I always think, during her interviews, she always stays quite restrained and private. It's one of the reasons why she fascinates me so. :)
Yeah, I've watched all of her interviews for Tooth Fairy so far, but my favorites are Craig Ferguson and Martha Stewart. She lets her hair down in both of them, and to be honest, Julie did a better job of carrying her own interview than Martha herself did.

Here's part one and two of Julie on Ferguson-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq_wDYq- ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDts4wvY ... re=related

The Martha Stewart one isn't on the internet yet.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether or not to watch Tooth Fairy in theaters. I know I'll buy the BD when it comes out, and before I wasn't too excited about the movie, but the opportunity to see Julie on the big-screen one more time is an opportunity I almost don't want to miss. I'll decide once I hear how much she's in it, and if there's enough footage of her in the film that we haven't already seen yet on TV or the internet.

Who am I kidding, I already know I'm going to see this movie in the theater, regardless...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Less than a month away from Julie's big London Concert! :D

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

Can't wait for the YouTube videos!

Upcoming Projects

- Tooth Fairy, DVD and BD release, May 4th
- The Very Fairy Princess, another book with Emma coming out May 18th (book tours????)
- Shrek Forever After, May 21st (she has said in interviews that her role in this film is very small :roll:)
- Despicable Me, July 9th
- Little Bo in Italy, new Little Bo book, 2010
- The Sound of Music: 45th Anniversary Blu-Ray Release, this fall! No word on accompanying DVD release
- Little Bo in London, (same as "in Italy") probably 2011
- Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems and Songs to Celebrate the Seasons, probably in 2011

Possible Projects, AKA- Rumors-
Enchanted II- Maybe she can be the Narrator again? Maybe a larger, cameo sequence?
My Fair Lady- I pray they cast her as Mrs. Higgins!
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I saw The Sound of Music for the first time on Easter Sunday and thought it was an amazing film. Julie was magnificent as Maria and, of course, her vocal talents are top notch. I also believe that the film has the best use of reprises ever. They actually add a lot of to the story and character development.

I loved it.
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

That would be great if Julie was cast as Mrs. Higgins she would do well in that role.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

pap64 wrote:I saw The Sound of Music for the first time on Easter Sunday and thought it was an amazing film. Julie was magnificent as Maria and, of course, her vocal talents are top notch. I also believe that the film has the best use of reprises ever. They actually add a lot of to the story and character development.

I loved it.
Wow, that's amazing!!! Glad you loved it. It was the first movie I ever watched as a baby, and it is my favorite movie ever. Why my parents skipped the Disney movies and started me off with a three hour musical is beyond me, but I'm glad they did. :) And yes, the reprises are awesome and they worked. I guess the reason is Oscar Hammerstein was basically dying when Sound of Music was being developed, and instead of adding new songs to Act II, he just wrote a bunch of reprises.

I think Maria is Julie's best role and it made her an icon. I kinda wish she won the Oscar for it instead of Mary Poppins, but I'm glad she has one either way. Would have been cool if she won for both though!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Two weeks until Julie's big concert!

After that, she'll be making the rounds promoting her and Emma's new book, The Very Fairy Princess.

Information from julieandrewsonline.com/forum-

Monday - May 17th -- Julie & Emma on "Good Morning, America"
Event: Book Signing at "Bookends," NJ
When: Mon, May 17 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm

Tuesday
Event: Julie & Emma on "The Joan Hamburg Show"

Wednesday
Event: Book signing at Davis-Kidd Booksellers, Nashville
When: Wed, May 19 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm

Thursday
Event: Book signing at Barnes & Noble, Alpharetta, GA
When: Thu, May 20 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm

Friday
Event: Book signing at Little Shop of Stories, Decatur, GA
When: Fri, May 21 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm

Saturday
Event: Julie & Emma on CBS Saturday Morning - The Early Show
Event: Book signing at Books & Books, Coral Gables, FL
When: Sat, May 22

I'm a little bit upset- I could actually make my way to Nashville, but I'll be in Washington that day. Ironically, I'm actually going to Nashville that Friday, so I could try to go a day earlier and make a stop at Alpharetta or try and go to Decatur Friday.

Or I could do the sensible thing, and just wait for a more opportune time to go...
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I just learned a fascinating fact about Andrews...

Her husband is Blake Edwards. If I am not mistaken, he did the Pink Panther movies and Breakfast at Tiffany's. That movie starred Audrey Hepburn. She would then play Eliza Dolittle in the movie version of My Fair Lady, a role originated by Andrews on stage!

The funny thing is that people play this rivalry between them when in fact they were great friends. Hepburn always said that the role should have been given to Andrews, and in a Rachel Ray episode she mentions how Hepburn explained to her that she didn't have the guts to turn down the role.

So all of this rivalry is silly because both women were humble about it.

Funny how life can connect people in unexpected ways :p .
ImageImageImageImage

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

News just out that Julie will sing "A Cockeyed Optimist" in London! No word on any other songs, though... We'll just have to wait and see! :D
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Tonight's the night!

I'm sure by tomorrow there'll be plenty of videos to salivate over!

YAY JULIE!