Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

She would have certainly been able to do both My Fair Lady and Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins didn't have a long shoot. The only major work that had to be done were the special effects. Julie could have easily done My Fair Lady and then would have done The Sound of Music. The only movie she possibly couldn't have done if she was cast in My Fair Lady was The Americanization of Emily. Those two would have conflicted. The latter was quite successful, but was overshadowed that year by both Poppins & MFL. In a way, I'm glad Julie did Emily because she has stated that James Garner is one of her favorite (if not her favorite) leading men she has ever worked with.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

BIG NEWS!

Carol Burnett is signed on to appear as Sue Sylvester's mother in season two of Glee!!!

http://middleagehollywood.blogspot.com/ ... irmed.html

So now that Carol's doing it, Julie should definitely join in on the fun!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I would really like to see Julie on Glee, in any form for that matter. She'd be wonderful and it would be nice to watch her again in a new role.

By the way, would anyone (UmbrellaFish?) perhaps an address that I could write to Dame Julie Andrews? It's always been a passion of mine to have an autograph of her.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it

Julie Andrews
P.O. Box 491668
Los Angeles, CA 90049-8668
USA
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Julie Andrews
P.O. Box 491668
Los Angeles, CA 90049-8668
USA
Be forewarned-

In the past Julie has always sent out pre-printed autographs, so if you really want an actual one, that might not be the route for you. However, as I understand it, Julie recently no longer holds the rights to the picture she uses for the autographs, so most people are recieving a letter back from Julie's fan mail coordinator, Kathy Juliani. Actually, I think that's better because before you had no way of knowing whether Julie actually even read your letter- now Kathy tells you in the letter back if she has. So, definitely TheSequelofDisney, write her! :)
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Can't I just write in my letter if I could receive an actual autograph? Are the chances better now for her to actually read the letter or would just her coordinator read it? So no matter what I should write to her? I haven't decided what I want to put in my letter, but I do want a signed picture of her (since the only things that I have that are related to her are the Mary Poppins, Sound of Music and Princess Diaries 1 & 2 DVDs). I just read her autobiography and was floored about how much I didn't know about her, so I felt that I could write to her to tell about that experience and how great her films are (well, the ones that I've seen anyway).
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Can't I just write in my letter if I could receive an actual autograph? Are the chances better now for her to actually read the letter or would just her coordinator read it? So no matter what I should write to her? I haven't decided what I want to put in my letter, but I do want a signed picture of her (since the only things that I have that are related to her are the Mary Poppins, Sound of Music and Princess Diaries 1 & 2 DVDs). I just read her autobiography and was floored about how much I didn't know about her, so I felt that I could write to her to tell about that experience and how great her films are (well, the ones that I've seen anyway).
No, from my understanding she never actually signs anything from her fanmail. And I definitely think the chances of Julie actually reading the letter now are much, much better than they were before. I can't promise that she'll read it, but usually the most heartfelt letters land up on her desk.

And you definitely should write her. Kathy Juliani will almost certainly send you back a personal letter, or maybe Julie will have more pre-printed photos by the time you mail off your letter. I know Julie does appreciate her fans, so you won't be left empty-handed.

In fact, I wrote Julie when I was ten years old, and even though I knew the picture and autograph wasn't real, it still meant a ton to me, and now it's in a frame by my desk. I've tried writing another letter several times, but I just get so frustrated because it's so hard for me to put my appreciation for her in words.

Also, if you just want an authentic autograph, whenever Julie does booksignings, the bookstores will sell extra copies of signed books online. I got one of her books autographed mailed to me from Disneyland!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Thank you so much for all of the information/advice UmbrellaFish! I've just started typing out my letter and then I'll probably rewrite it out in my own hand. Thanks again!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Thank you so much for all of the information/advice UmbrellaFish! I've just started typing out my letter and then I'll probably rewrite it out in my own hand. Thanks again!
You're welcome! Always happy to help a fellow Julie fan!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I'm determined to meet Julie Andrews in person someday, so screw an autograph! :p

Just kidding! Thanks for the address. Heck, I might write to her too. It's just I think it would be hard to put how much I appreciate her in words.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

tsom wrote:I'm determined to meet Julie Andrews in person someday, so screw an autograph! :p

Just kidding! Thanks for the address. Heck, I might write to her too. It's just I think it would be hard to put how much I appreciate her in words.
I'd love to meet her, but I doubt she travels to Ohio. I am also having trouble find exactly what I want to say because she's so wonderful and awesome and amazing, but I don't want to sound like a stalker. I'll continue to work on the letter and hopefully I'll get it in the mail by Saturday or Monday (If I have troubles writing).
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

<center>Today, October 1st, 2010 is Julie Andrews' 75th Birthday!
Image </center>

Happy Birthday Julie! I can't describe the joy and happiness you've brought into my life, and so many others. Thank you. :)

I'm celebrating today by watching "Star!", "Broadway: The American Musical" ("My Fair Lady" segment only), "The Princess Diaries", and tonight I'll cap it off with my favorite Julie movie, and one of my favorite movies of all time, "Mary Poppins".

Oh, and I'm getting cupcakes!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAME JULIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an occasion! Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch any of her movies today, but I will be able to tomorrow since I'm going home for the day. Congratulations, Dame Julie!

Now, if she was just on Glee...
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Wow! She looks great to be 75! Bless her heart and soul!
ImageImageImageImage

James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

I watched The Princess Diaries last night, she is the only person who could do that role justice! :)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

What an amazing and wonderful career she has had, and continues to have !

A very special Birthday for a very special lady :)

I'm celebrating by listening to her version of 'The King and I', and watching the Sound of Music later.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I wanted to share these very recent pictures of Julie, only taken the night before her birthday at a special event hosted for Blake Edwards, her husband.

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Source: http://www.movieweb.com/news/NE7bW8UBKMIWbd
10, Youve Got Mail and Pleasantville will all make their Blu-ray debuts on February 1, 2011. Each title will be priced at $19.98 SRP and you can take a look at the cover art and special features for each release below:
Blake Edwards' 10, a spicy comedy of manners, morals and midlife crises, captures many moods, sometimes sexy, sometimes thoughtful, sometimes slapstick - but always on target. That target is 42-year-old composer George (Dudley Moore), a man who has everything (including patient singer girlfriend Julie Andrews) - and who may just chuck it all on an obsessive quest for a beautiful woman (Bo Derek) he glimpses en route to her wedding. An iconic crowd-pleaser, 10 propelled the movie careers of Moore and Derek and gave Ravel's Bolero a fiery new romantic context. And it stands as one of its director's richest, most fully realized works.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I wanted to share these very recent pictures of Julie, only taken the night before her birthday at a special event hosted for Blake Edwards, her husband.

Both of them look very well despite their ages! They are indeed a great couple. I mean, they have lasted many years now!
ImageImageImageImage

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

First thing first, The Sound of Music was released on Blu-Ray today!

To promote TSOM and her brand new book "Little Bo in Italy" she's making guest appearances. Here's the schedule so far:

Television Appearances:

The Today Show- November 10th
Rachel Ray- November 12th

Radio Appearances:

The Joan Hamburg Show- November 10th

Book Signings:

November 9th-
Saks Fifth Avenue
Children's Collections on Nine
611 5th Avenue
NYC 4pm

November 10th-
Barnes and Noble
Tribeca
97 Warren ST New York, NY 10007 5:00

November 11th-
Barnes and Noble
Country Glen Center
91 Old Country Road
Carle Place, NY

For more information about the book signings, please contact the respective locations.

Credit for info goes to the ladies at Julie Andrews Online Forum!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Julie and Emma have been nominated for a Grammy!!!

http://www.grammy.com/nominees?year=2010&genre=4

The nomination is for Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies, and the category is for Best Spoken Word Album for Children. Their fellow nominees are:

Selma Blair for Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition
Bill Harley for The Best Candy in the Whole World
Various for Healthly Food For Thought: Good Enough to Eat
Emma Thompson for Nanny McPhee Returns

Julie, Emma, I think you've got this one in the bag!