Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Post by blackcauldron85 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:The new podcast Julie’s Library is coming every Wednesday beginning April 29th. Listen to the trailer here: https://twitter.com/JuliesLibrary/statu ... 94978?s=20
I had left this thread open on my phone since you posted that, meaning to listen to the trailer, and I totally forgot!! I just listened to it- that's such a great idea, posting a different book every week, read by Julie and her daughter, and with input from kids! I love it!
MerPrincessJamie wrote:One of my friends worked with her on SOM. I'll definitely ask to see if I can at least talk to her at some point soon
That's amazing that you have a friend that worked on The Sound of Music!!!! :pink: That would be an amazing opportunity to speak with Julie! Please keep us posted!!!
MerPrincessJamie
Limited Issue

Post by MerPrincessJamie »

MerPrincessJamie wrote:One of my friends worked with her on SOM. I'll definitely ask to see if I can at least talk to her at some point soon
That's amazing that you have a friend that worked on The Sound of Music!!!! :pink: That would be an amazing opportunity to speak with Julie! Please keep us posted!!![/quote]

Thanks. She played Gretel and is the sweetest person on this planet, but this is the one question that I've been thinking of asking her.
blackcauldron85

I think the worst that she can say is obviously, No, and you can say you've tried, but it's possible she's say We'll see! Or Yes!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Jamie, you absolutely must ask your friend if you can contact Julie some way!! I’ve never met or spoken to her directly, but I know she is always appreciate of and grateful for her fans. Let us know what happens!

In Julie-news, she was supposed to engage in another leg of her speaking tour this summer and this spring she was to appear at the TCM Film Festival and receive AFI’s Lifetime Achievement Award— but all those events have been cancelled or postponed. This week, she’s appeared on several talk shows from her home to promote her new podcast “Julie’s Library” which debuts tomorrow!

EDIT: The first episode, “Marilyn’s Monster,” is out now and it is just as lovely as you’d expect: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/j ... 8KBDYQ4C5Y

EDIT: About an hour into the new Happy Days of Garry Marshall special, there is some wonderful, never before seen BTS footage of The Princess Diaries and The Princess Diaries II. A particular highlight is a small montage of bloopers with Julie Andrews swearing and flubbing lines, juxtaposed with new interview footage where she denies the swearing ever happened! :lol:

EDIT: Julie Andrews will executive produce remake of late husband’s movie “10”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.c ... 36196/amp/

In 2014 Julie signed on to executive produce an animated movie based on the Pink Panther character introduced in her husband’s films, but nothing seems to have ever come from that.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Today is Dame Julie Andrews’ 85th Birthday!!! :party: :party: :party:
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Happy 85th birthday to the Queen!!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Julie Andrews narrates Bridgerton as the show’s 19th century Gossip Girl. Trailer here: https://youtu.be/sIsKen3y-mU
blackcauldron85

^ That looks pretty good!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I've always loved the fact that Hollywood tried really hard to make Julie and Audrey Hepburn enemies but they ended up being very good friends. :D
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’m halfway through Bridgerton! It definitely feels like a Shonda Rhimes show. The cast is very attractive and it’s going for that Sofia Coppola Marie Antoinette-vibe. I’m just happy that after roughly 75 years in the business, Julie Andrews finally has a hit (read: popular) TV show! And it’s something for adults too!

Spoiler Alert: I know at the end of the season the identity of Lady Whistledown is revealed but I hope that doesn’t preclude Julie from returning for future seasons!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Julie Andrews’ 1986 film Duet for One arrives on Blu-ray for the first time ever today! https://www.amazon.com/Duet-for-One-Blu ... PDKIKX0DER

Duet for One never even had a DVD release so I had absolutely no hope a Blu-ray would ever happen— but it has, with a new 2K master!

This movie was screwed over in its initial 1986 release, partly because the studio that funded it went under. But it’s a masterful dramatic performance from Julie— she plays a world renowned violinist diagnosed with MS. Her costars are Alan Bates, Liam Neeson, Rupert Everett, and Max von Sydow. If you’d like to see Julie in a pretty big departure from Poppins and Maria von Trapp, this is your chance!

My copy is on my doorstep… I cannot wait to watch this movie for the first time in HD!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Today is Dame Julie Andrews’ 88th Birthday!

She’s been very busy writing new children’s books with her daughter, Emma Walton Hamilton. The First Notes: The Story of Do Re Mi was released last year and The Enchanted Symphony was released this September. Two children’s books about Julie Andrews’ life were also published this year including a Little Golden Book titled Julie Andrews and a new picture book called Song After Song: The Musical Life of Julie Andrews.

In the world of entertainment, viewers of Netflix’s hit show Bridgerton and its spin-off, Queen Charlotte, continue to be scandalized by Julie Andrews’ vocal performance as Lady Whistledown. Additionally, a 5-disc deluxe CD set has been announced for The Sound of Music soundtrack which includes “over 40 previously unreleased tracks, collecting every musical element from the film for the first time, along with instrumentals for every song, demos and rare outtakes from the cast.” An alternate take of the title song sung by Julie Andrews is already available to listen to on Apple Music. The 5-disc set, as well as a standard 2 disc CD set and 3 record vinyl set are due to be released December 1st.

And yesterday from her official Facebook page Julie sent birthday wishes to former President Jimmy Carter: “Oct. 1st is President Jimmy Carter’s 99th birthday - a fact which has always pleased me, since it’s a birth date we share. I’ve long been an admirer of his phenomenal work, during his presidency and since. Thank you, President Carter, for all you have done for humanity and global democracy. Wishing you a very happy birthday!”

Happy Birthday to you, Julie Andrews! Below are some lyrics singing the praises of Mary Poppins. But I think the lyrics are applicable to the actress who played her, too.

“Oh, it's a jolly holiday with Mary

Mary makes your heart so light

When the day is gray and ordinary

Mary makes the sun shine bright

Oh, happiness is bloomin' all around her

The daffodils are smilin' at the dove

When Mary holds your hand, you feel so grand

Your heart starts beatin' like a big brass band

It's a jolly holiday with Mary

No wonder that it's Mary that we love!”
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Happy Birthday, Julie!

I must know, what scandalousness does she do in those Bridgerton shows just by singing?!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney Duster wrote: ↑Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:48 pm Happy Birthday, Julie!

I must know, what scandalousness does she do in those Bridgerton shows just by singing?!
So in the show Lady Whistledown is basically like a gossip columnist. You only hear her voice when she reads her column. And of course she often doesn’t have very nice things to say haha..
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, that is funny! So her voice also sings?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oh no, she doesn’t sing at all. By vocal performance I just meant her voice over narration.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, cool! I wonder if one day they will reveal her character in person on the show!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

They won't, she only does voice work nowadays. Her last on screen appearance was Tooth Fairy in 2010.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Farerb is correct, since Julie’s husband passed in 2010 she’s effectively gone into semi-retirement. “Semi-retirement” because she still does a lot of voice acting, writing, and directing for theatre. She still does talk show interviews and public appearances. But this is also why a third Princess Diaries movie with Julie’s participation is very unlikely at this point.

I would really like her to do one more film project, something better than The Tooth Fairy. But at this point it seems unlikely. I still hold out a little hope— Carol Burnett said she and Julie were supposed to appear in 80 for Brady. Obviously something fell through.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. That really is a shame. Well, I hope she later decides she does want to appear in stuff, but whatever she does, i hope she does whatever she feels comfortable doing.